E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DVD CIC Video in motion

08-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328XI

DVD CIC Video in motion

I followed the DIY approach #1 in file "Exclusive DVD in Motion activation for CIC by ********* v2.pdf" and did not have success, i still get the message on the screen once i start driving.
I did some searching around and found there is a new document "Exclusive DVD in Motion activation for CIC by ********* v3.pdf" out there which has you edit the cic daten file, the very last step is "• Code your CIC with the new changes , and Congratulation , your VIM is done "

i'm still kinda new to the coding process and have only edited specific modules and wrote the .MAN file back to the car. If someone can give me a rough process on how to write the CIC daten file back to the car using NCS expert i would really appreciate it, i don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

You need to read up more as to get it working you also need to use NCS for Dummies.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
You need to read up more as to get it working you also need to use NCS for Dummies.
I already downloaded the latest version of NCS for dummies, i can get through all the steps in the pdf with the exception of the last one, where it says "• Code your CIC with the new changes , and Congratulation , your VIM is done "
i believe this is done with NCS Expert, i just don't know how......
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ok i figured it out, i wrote the trace file back with ncs expert and it worked. all is now working. the reason why it didn't work the first time is because when i wrote back the nettodat.man file it was using CBD name: CIC.C0D instead of CIC.C08 (the file it listed originally below the jobname when i read the CIC)
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by michbmw
ok i figured it out, i wrote the trace file back with ncs expert and it worked. all is now working. the reason why it didn't work the first time is because when i wrote back the nettodat.man file it was using CBD name: CIC.C0D instead of CIC.C08 (the file it listed originally below the jobname when i read the CIC)
When you say trace file, are you referring to .MAN file?
      08-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
When you say trace file, are you referring to .MAN file?
I think what he is referring to is when you read a module the module that originally shows up changes after the actual module is being read by NCSexpert. He probably used that original file name instead of using the one that changes after the Nettodat data pops up.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I think what he is referring to is when you read a module the module that originally shows up changes after the actual module is being read by NCSexpert. He probably used that original file name instead of using the one that changes after the Nettodat data pops up.

Got ya mate.

However I am still not able to understand one thing. How does this trick work?

With normal coding we read modules, change the line physically and write it back to car via .MAN file.

With this one, we read the module, change the file of that module, and after changing, my guess is:

We are writing tweaked file back to car.

Now if we have another car but with exactly same module and files, and if repeat the whole procedure, I guess we do not need to tweak that files again.
As it was saved last time.
      08-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Correct. Change all the CIC files with the new "FF" value and then save back to spdaten files and after that all you do is change the scripts and code it back to car
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i read my CIC module using ncs expert and noted the CIC.CXX file (could be different different depending on your car, mine used CIC.C08)i dissasembled the CIC.C08 file and edited it using NCS Dummy. i then reassembled it and overwrote the one in my daten/e89 folder. afterwards i used the trace editor function of ncs dummy and edited the Nettodat.trc file in my work folder. i then saved it as nettodat.man. using ncs expert i used the basic function "coapiCodeSgNettoData" to write the edit CIC.C08 and edited Nettodat.man file i made back to the car.

The V2 of the DIY says to leave the CBD name alone which mine was using CIC.C0D for some reason instead of CIC.C08 which it used when i first read my CIC, that is where it went wrong the first time around.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Got ya mate.

However I am still not able to understand one thing. How does this trick work?

With normal coding we read modules, change the line physically and write it back to car via .MAN file.

With this one, we read the module, change the file of that module, and after changing, my guess is:

We are writing tweaked file back to car.

Now if we have another car but with exactly same module and files, and if repeat the whole procedure, I guess we do not need to tweak that files again.
As it was saved last time.
All the other coding i've done is the regular way using NCS Expert only, i.e read module, open trace file, edit and save it as a .MAN, write back the module....this was the first time i've had to do anything different.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michbmw View Post
i read my CIC module using ncs expert and noted the CIC.CXX file (could be different different depending on your car, mine used CIC.C08)i dissasembled the CIC.C08 file and edited it using NCS Dummy. i then reassembled it and overwrote the one in my daten/e89 folder. afterwards i used the trace editor function of ncs dummy and edited the Nettodat.trc file in my work folder. i then saved it as nettodat.man. using ncs expert i used the basic function "coapiCodeSgNettoData" to write the edit CIC.C08 and edited Nettodat.man file i made back to the car.

The V2 of the DIY says to leave the CBD name alone which mine was using CIC.C0D for some reason instead of CIC.C08 which it used when i first read my CIC, that is where it went wrong the first time around.
That explains it better.
Are we using NCS expert in expert mode (to write it to default) or any other profile in this case?

Also why did you change nettodat file and not PSW.....TRC?
      08-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
michbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That explains it better.
Are we using NCS expert in expert mode (to write it to default) or any other profile in this case?

Also why did you change nettodat file and not PSW.....TRC?
To be honest i'm not sure but i believe it is the only way to make this specific code to stick if the CIC is rebooted. I just followed the steps in both the V2 and V3 DIY pdf's and this is what it said to do. A more experienced coder should be able to explain why the nettodat file instead.

I used my default PSW FSW profile i created in expert mode to write it back but it was using different steps then what is typically used when writing the FSW_PSW.MAN file back.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #13
Edmond357
Rep
Drives: 330i E90

PM me
i did it on my car with data2txt
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Toyo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d Titanium Silver LCI E90

Can anyone do this for me? I am in the Atlanta GA area.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
lexmedia
Rep
Drives: F10 530d 2012

I coded video in motion on my friend`s car using the tutorial, it worked great and now after a few hours the restriction popped up again. What could be the cause why it didn`t stick?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #16
xelion
Banned
Rep
Drives: 320d

Maybe you used another computer or updated daten files to code CIC?
Or you just recode your module again?

I don't know which method you used to active DVD in motion.
Appreciate 0