E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil level sensor malfunction-Need help

03-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #23
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

I don't have an evidence to discount your theory, but if it is a software issue, why would my sensor have gone from functioning fine to acting in the same intermittent way as the OP described?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
I don't have an evidence to discount your theory, but if it is a software issue, why would my sensor have gone from functioning fine to acting in the same intermittent way as the OP described?
Well, when the car reaches 300,000 kilometers BMW has programmed the CBS to stop using the oil quality data the sensor produces for the algorithm that calculates the oil change interval, so the oil monitor system goes defunct at the next oil change past 186,000 miles; and the car constantly reminds you that the oil service is past due. So this means that software is highly involved in the processing of the data that comes out of the sensor, be it oil level data or oil quality data. I've never seen perfect software.

Once my car reached this point the oil level reporting has entirely changed from the way it operated prior to that mileage. And I changed the sensor to fix it, which didn't affect the new behavior of the system, so I took the car to BMW and that is when I found out about the programming. BMW supposedly has a software fix for it, but it doesn't work (discovered only after they had my car for a week).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #25
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Right, but that's not the "undocumented feature" that applies here.

Capacitors can fail. Terminations can fail. Am I sure that's what is happening here? No... But it feels more like an electro-mechanical issue to me by its correlation to temperature.

Actually I suspect moisture in the oil is to blame (affects the dielectric constant), which is why reports of this issue are so common in the winter and almost non events in warmer climates. But that's just one of my theories. Replacing the sensor isn't too difficult, nor terribly expensive in the grand scheme of all the mods we do, so I'm going to try it and see if the problem goes away as an experiment.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Right, but that's not the "undocumented feature" that applies here.

Capacitors can fail. Terminations can fail. Am I sure that's what is happening here? No... But it feels more like an electro-mechanical issue to me by its correlation to temperature.

Actually I suspect moisture in the oil is to blame (affects the dielectric constant), which is why reports of this issue are so common in the winter and almost non events in warmer climates. But that's just one of my theories. Replacing the sensor isn't too difficult, nor terribly expensive in the grand scheme of all the mods we do, so I'm going to try it and see if the problem goes away as an experiment.
I've been through all of this with the shop manager at BMW of Sterling. The shop manager is a former BMW tech and factory trained; he knows his shit. I asked every question I could think of regarding oil sensor. When the sensor fails it throws trouble codes (BMW codes), so I'd suggest you scan your car with a BMW scan tool before wasting time and money on a $160 oil sensor. Just my advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #27
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Good to know - I will
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 04:40 AM   #28
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

I installed a M3 gauge cluster to my 335i, everything worked except i got a cruise control malfunction error then a few weeks later i noticed when i went to check the oil level, the check would time out and revert back to the normal screen without providing a reading.

Eventually I wacked back in the 335i cluster so i could use my cruise control and no more cruise control malfunction error on startup yet the cruise wont work and now the 335i cluster wont perform the oil level check either!

Anyone got any ideas??
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #29
1seriesfan
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i & 2006 330xi

Garage List
1967 Piper Cherokee  [0.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2011 128i  [0.00]
'88 Corvette: 35th ...  [0.00]
Smoke rolling out of my ears today with this issue also. Took my '06 E90 in for defective oil level sensor replacement last winter, to the tune of almost $500, oil change included.

All was good until several months later now (in cold weather) when the low level warning indicator came on again. The last few days however, there was no warning indicated (warmer weather) and it shows normal, full of oil.

Took the car back to the dealer today to let them scan it anyway as they said the sensor would be covered under the parts warranty. When I got there, they said they feel the sensor isn't bad, but instead a software update is needed for an additional $150! Needless to say, I told the SA where they could stick it, and I stood my ground! And no, I'm not too worried about the car running out of oil, I always keep an eye out for leaks, etc. I also change my oil frequently and will take my chances.

Not blaming the dealer entirely, they said the TSB advises a reprogramming be done to "calibrate" the sensor. In my opinion, why doesn't BMW cover this as part of the original repair? The software update should be part of the procedure/labor cost when I took it there originally! After all, it's simply a matter of hooking up one cable and waiting.

Microsoft and other software companies update with Service Packs for free when you buy or use their products, why does BMW feel they're so special?! I could see the point if I was running there every month just to get the "latest and greatest," but originally there was a broken part problem here! I also don't want to be "nickeled and dimed!"

I also asked, "with the full software update (other than calibrating the sensor 10 months later) what does my $150 buy me?" The SA (nice guy, not blaming him) couldn't answer. Does anyone know? If I'm going to get much better fuel mileage or something (which might justify the expense a little) at least I'd maybe feel better about it.

Am I out of line, guys? I want a dipstick back, that never cost me a penny!

Last edited by 1seriesfan; 12-23-2014 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #30
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1seriesfan View Post
Smoke rolling out of my ears today with this issue also. Took my '06 E90 in for defective oil level sensor replacement last winter, to the tune of almost $500, oil change included.

All was good until several months later now (in cold weather) when the warning indicator came on again. The last few days however, there was no warning indicated (warmer weather) and it shows normal, full of oil.

Took the car back to the dealer today to let them scan it anyway as they said the sensor would be covered under the parts warranty. When I got there, they said they feel the sensor isn't bad, but instead a software update is needed for an additional $150! Needless to say, I told the SA where they could stick it, and I stood my ground! And no, I'm not too worried about the car running out of oil, I always keep an eye out for leaks, etc. I also change my oil frequently and will take my chances.

Not blaming the dealer entirely, they said the TSB advises a reprogramming be done to "calibrate" the sensor. In my opinion, why doesn't BMW cover this as part of the original repair? The software update should be part of the procedure/labor cost when I took it there originally! After all, it's simply a matter of hooking up one cable and waiting.

Microsoft and other software companies update with Service Packs for free when you buy or use their products, why does BMW feel they're so special?! I could see the point if I was running there every month just to get the "latest and greatest," but originally there was a broken part problem here! I also don't want to be "nickeled and dimed!"

I also asked, "with the full software update (other than calibrating the sensor 10 months later) what does my $150 buy me?" The SA (nice guy, I'm not blaming him) couldn't answer. Does anyone know? If I'm going to get much better fuel mileage or something (which might justify the expense a little) at least I'd maybe feel better about it.

I agree with you. The dealer should just update it for you, I'd ask to speak to a manger over the service dept or even a sales manager. Make your case and be firm and persistent. They really should have updated it when you had it replaced 10 months ago if they really feel that's potentially an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 05:14 AM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1seriesfan View Post

All was good until several months later now (in cold weather) when the low level warning indicator came on again. The last few days however, there was no warning indicated (warmer weather) and it shows normal, full of oil.

I also asked, "with the full software update (other than calibrating the sensor 10 months later) what does my $150 buy me?" The SA (nice guy, not blaming him) couldn't answer. Does anyone know? If I'm going to get much better fuel mileage or something (which might justify the expense a little) at least I'd maybe feel better about it.

How many miles are on the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #32
1seriesfan
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i & 2006 330xi

Garage List
1967 Piper Cherokee  [0.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2011 128i  [0.00]