E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just installed cobb overwriting my dinan.

01-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #45
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sear View Post
...There were several threads here of folks with engine issues running DINAN that had nightmares on their hands for getting coverage..
Things are not always black and white. What you see on the forums doesn't always represent the majority. People who have frustrations tend to post their frustrations more than those who are satisfied. I have had the Dinan software on my car since my car was 1-year into ownership and they replaced my turbo's under Dinan's warranty without question. As a matter of fact, when I asked my SA who would cover the cost, he just said "don't worry about it... if BMW doesn't, Dinan will" and when I called the Dinan service line, they just asked for the SA's direct number and said they would pay for everything. No hassle at all. Did I post a thread about it? No... that's what I paid for.

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #46
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Value ? Value is what you make the worth to be. I find BMW owners the most to cry about price than any other performance car trend out there. If you thought Dinan was bad about pricing then go check out what performance mods for GTRs, Merc, Porsche, Ferrari etc will cost, infact it will make Dinan look flea market cheap.

I dont value my BMW as a Honda, Toyota, or some back beat Nissan. I value it in the status of a Porsche or Merc. What you put into your car is what you value it as and thus will determine how long it will last.

There are two sides to every story, and likewise, there are folks out there who had engine issue while Dinan was installed and Dinan covered it or the dealer covered it whereasI am one of those folks.
no doubt that other platforms have mod costs that are higher than DINAN. thats not the point of the value comment. value here is referred to as the total benefit provided to the consumer for the product. in the dinan case you are getting less in performance vs other available tunes for much less cost, but you are also getting some warranty coverage + piece of mind from spending more becasue you have a german luxury car. I made comment on this thread for two reasons 1) i almost was a DINAN customer and chose to go a different route after hearing about the their falling out with BMW and the now split warranty coverage that thier current relationship requires. reason 2) was the comment that DINAN is more reliable than other tunes. there was a time early in the N54s history where this was likely true, but IMO the facts speak differently today. there are countless folks running thousands of miles on the other tunes and the issues they are having are typically the same issues that are even being had by stock cars OR happening to those that are knowingly pushing the limit.

I personally have nothing against DINAN, I was a believer that their higher prices where worth it a few years ago when they were closer aligned to BMW. Since they are not now, the value perceived especially when the performance part of the evaluation when looking at other options just doesn't stack up IMO.

If the "value" you get from them when also knowing what is also available from other options is good enough to justify the price they are asking, then enjoy. its luckily a free market society and we should all be glad we can enjoy those freedoms of choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #47
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sear View Post
.....value here is referred to as the total benefit provided to the consumer for the product. in the dinan case you are getting less in performance vs other available tunes for much less cost....
I wouldnt go so far in saying less in performance, perhaps less in HP. Performance incompasses more than just boost and HP. This is something I will contest in time to come.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #48
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Okay. I'll play. Haha. What performance are we talking about?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #49
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I wouldnt go so far in saying less in performance, perhaps less in HP. Performance incompasses more than just boost and HP. This is something I will contest in time to come.
Cool, looking forward to hearing about it
Appreciate 0