E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Is the 325D dead?

11-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #45
Ulrikgm
Private
Rep
Drives: 525d E61 LCI msport

This file which is clearly from BMW states that the gearboxes are exactly the same in MY 07. MY 08 ???

http://www.tomic.ba/fs/cjenik/E92%20...nik%200307.pdf
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #46
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikgm View Post
This is for e90 and e91, maybe its different for the e92

Like the e92 330d has larger frontbrakes (348mm) than the e90/91 330d (330mm).

I coundn't find e92 325d on RealOEM.com.

Quote:
This file which is clearly from BMW states that the gearboxes are exactly the same in MY 07. MY 08 ???

http://www.tomic.ba/fs/cjenik/E92%20...nik%200307.pdf

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 02:38 AM   #47
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325dM Coupe

Quote:
I think maybe we can conclude that if you are going to chip tune your car the 325d is a good choice. You save 4000 Euro over the 330d which is about equal to an M-package.

Dag How is your mileage in your 325d. Is is a 2007 or 2008 model?
Its a late 2007 model, 6500 kilometers.

Dag
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #48
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Interesting thread guys, looks like BMW have tried to pull the wool over everyones eyes, I guess to safeguard 330d sales. The funny thing is a member on another site who seems to have a lot of inside knowledge on turbos, hinted after I ordered the 325d that it was running in "a very low state of tune". I guess with the engine being so new when I had mine mapped, nobody knew any better. If it is just a simple case of mapping, then it wont be long before Emaps, chipped UK and DMS start offering it, once it becomes common knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 12:52 AM   #49
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
Interesting thread guys, looks like BMW have tried to pull the wool over everyones eyes, I guess to safeguard 330d sales. The funny thing is a member on another site who seems to have a lot of inside knowledge on turbos, hinted after I ordered the 325d that it was running in "a very low state of tune". I guess with the engine being so new when I had mine mapped, nobody knew any better. If it is just a simple case of mapping, then it wont be long before Emaps, chipped UK and DMS start offering it, once it becomes common knowledge.
The problem is that very few tuners know these new programs at all, they are working in the dark and thats why they dont get the results that are possible to obtain.
According to my source BMW has made it very difficult to get the 325d to perform as a chipped 330d, for excample to take away the top speed governour, he had to enter the map in 3 different places!
But when you know where the "secret" obstacles are, its possible.
To get that info, you need info from BMW that they dont want to give to anyone.........
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 12:55 AM   #50
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

You actually did a good job yourself with the wool Mikem, claiming in many forums that you knew that the turbos were different.
Please stick to facts Mikem, because a lot of people read and believe what you write.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 02:56 AM   #51
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagjohnsen View Post
You actually did a good job yourself with the wool Mikem, claiming in many forums that you knew that the turbos were different.
Please stick to facts Mikem, because a lot of people read and believe what you write.

dagjohnsen, I would never deliberately say something that wasn`t true. I was simply stating what I had been told by many "experts" just in the same way as you are stating what Hartge and ESS are saying.

When I bought my 325d it was on a whim after I couldn`t get a firm delivery date for the D3 I`d ordered. At the time it had just been launched and I couldn`t find a demo car anywhere in the country (the 335d was launched at the same time, so every dealer had just taken delivery of one of these instead) I was told by the dealer after driving a 330d that the difference between it and my 325d would be the same as comparing a 120d to a 118d as the same principle was used (same engine, smaller turbo). This I was happy with as I`d driven a few 120d`s and we also own a 118d.

The car was mapped about 5-6 weeks after it came and all was good. In Jan I decided to put it on a rolling road up here in Scotland and after a few attempts it was reading 216 hp every time. I wanted to get it onto a different RR to be sure before contacting the tuner, so I arranged to go to another well known tuner who had a RR and again same results every run it was showing 213 hp (in terms of dyno machines this is quite consistent to the first machine).

At this tuner, we decided to remove the ECU and investigate further, just incase the car had been "holding back" on the rollers. I spent 11 hrs with this guy while DIMSport, interrogated the files. DIMSport had never seen this ECU before from any of their tuners around the world and said that the encription was much more difficult to crack.

Eventually we put a "test map" on and rollered it again, this time it span up to just shy of 240 and about 510 Nm. We left this map on and the existing mappers came to me 2 days later to re-map it, I spoke to their programmer who stated the current map (test map) was quite agressive and he didn`t recocomend taking it any further as longevity of the components might suffer, so it was agrred that their "new map" would turn it back slightly but improve driveability. It went back to the rollers the following day and it was running at 230ish Hp and 480ish Nm.

The car in this state of tune did feel quite quick, on my first `ring trip it was badged as a 318d, from 80+ to silly speeds it was crazy, a stock E46 330d couldn`t keep up at all, nor a 530i, an M3 in our group was having to push very hard to put any distance between us and a CSL that tagged along with us from Calais looked very "puzzled"

It would be interesting to see what the performance figures are for the 325d manual running at 271 Hp. With a G-tech pro I saw 0-60 in 5.9, 30-50 in 2.2, 40-60 in 2.9, 50-70 in 3.3 and a best 1/4 mile at 14.5x at 97.X mph.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 05:26 AM   #52
Ulrikgm
Private
Rep
Drives: 525d E61 LCI msport

Quote:
dagjohnsen, I would never deliberately say something that wasn`t true. I was simply stating what I had been told by many "experts" just in the same way as you are stating what Hartge and ESS are saying.

When I bought my 325d it was on a whim after I couldn`t get a firm delivery date for the D3 I`d ordered. At the time it had just been launched and I couldn`t find a demo car anywhere in the country (the 335d was launched at the same time, so every dealer had just taken delivery of one of these instead) I was told by the dealer after driving a 330d that the difference between it and my 325d would be the same as comparing a 120d to a 118d as the same principle was used (same engine, smaller turbo). This I was happy with as I`d driven a few 120d`s and we also own a 118d.

The car was mapped about 5-6 weeks after it came and all was good. In Jan I decided to put it on a rolling road up here in Scotland and after a few attempts it was reading 216 hp every time. I wanted to get it onto a different RR to be sure before contacting the tuner, so I arranged to go to another well known tuner who had a RR and again same results every run it was showing 213 hp (in terms of dyno machines this is quite consistent to the first machine).

At this tuner, we decided to remove the ECU and investigate further, just incase the car had been "holding back" on the rollers. I spent 11 hrs with this guy while DIMSport, interrogated the files. DIMSport had never seen this ECU before from any of their tuners around the world and said that the encription was much more difficult to crack.

Eventually we put a "test map" on and rollered it again, this time it span up to just shy of 240 and about 510 Nm. We left this map on and the existing mappers came to me 2 days later to re-map it, I spoke to their programmer who stated the current map (test map) was quite agressive and he didn`t recocomend taking it any further as longevity of the components might suffer, so it was agrred that their "new map" would turn it back slightly but improve driveability. It went back to the rollers the following day and it was running at 230ish Hp and 480ish Nm.

The car in this state of tune did feel quite quick, on my first `ring trip it was badged as a 318d, from 80+ to silly speeds it was crazy, a stock E46 330d couldn`t keep up at all, nor a 530i, an M3 in our group was having to push very hard to put any distance between us and a CSL that tagged along with us from Calais looked very "puzzled"

It would be interesting to see what the performance figures are for the 325d manual running at 271 Hp. With a G-tech pro I saw 0-60 in 5.9, 30-50 in 2.2, 40-60 in 2.9, 50-70 in 3.3 and a best 1/4 mile at 14.5x at 97.X mph.

If you get 230bhp on the wheels it is rather close to 270 crank hp as we have to take the 15% drive train loss into account.

Ulrik
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #53
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Hey man

I understand the process you went through, its difficult because people that should know things about BMW really dont know much.
Your story about the remaps are interesting! How much did your car dyno originally?
The reason I ask is because ESS dynoed a 325d to 217 hp without a remap, and said they never saw any car delivering that much extra hp from BMW.
So when you remapped yours and got 216 hp, I wonder what felt different.
My guess is you got more torque low down and a better last 800 rpm to the redline, am I right?

How was your car handling at the ring?
I`ll go there in the spring, cant wait to see how the car works!

Dag

Last edited by dagjohnsen; 01-14-2008 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 07:34 AM   #54
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Hey man

I understand the process you went through, its difficult because people that should know things about BMW really dont know much.
Your story about the remaps are interesting! How much did your car dyno originally?
The reason I ask is because ESS dynoed a 325d to 217 hp without a remap, and said they never saw any car delivering that much extra hp from BMW.
So when you remapped yours and got 216 hp, I wonder what felt different.
My guess is you got more torque low down and a better last 800 rpm to the redline, am I right?
I will dyno my car soon and then we will see how much it really has, I think 280 hp seems a lot but time will show. Actually my car has too much torque around 1800 rpm in 5th and 6th gear, so I will pull it down from the claimed 600 NM to avoid trouble with the drivetrain. I guess 500 NM is plenty, what I need is max power from 2500 rpm and upwards.

How was your car handling at the ring?
I`ll go there in the spring, cant wait to see how the car works!

Dag
This is OT but, Dag do you have your winters on yet? If so, how is the grip with all that torque? My DSC lamp blinks a lot, and thats only with 340Nm and 163hp.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #55
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ulrikgm, my figures are all converted to "crank figures"

Dag, I`m glad yuo said that. At the 2nd tuning shop, where I waited for DIMSport they said the car looked to be running completely stock files (this was at 213 converted Hp) myself and the tuner thought that either the map hadn`t taken propelr when it was originally mapped or that they had altered some other parameters as a map wasn`t available at the time.

Your experience proves that the car was completely stock at those figures. So either the original re-map didn`t take properly or the dealer overwrote it when it went in for a new RFT (the dealer categorically denies this and stated that they try not to touch software on the car as it can be quite labourious and problematic)

At the `ring it handled really well on Eibach springs and 19" Eagle F1`s, it just kept running out of revs all the time, which is why I switched to the M3.

In a totally standard M3 with no extra experience or coaching, I`m a minute a lap quicker.

Good luck with the car and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 10:49 AM   #56
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you get 230bhp on the wheels it is rather close to 270 crank hp as we have to take the 15% drive train loss into account.

Ulrik
jj

Last edited by dagjohnsen; 01-14-2008 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #57
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Great stuff Dag, when are you at the `ring next year ? There`s a few of us heading over on the 12th-14th April.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #58
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I would love to be there, sure its not snow there in April?
Went there in 1993 after easter, the track was closed because of snow and ice

Ill talk to my wife and a friend of mine, cant wait to get the car on german roads and the Ring to see what its capable of!!!

Last edited by dagjohnsen; 01-14-2008 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #59
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My printout shows a max power of 232.6 @ 3790 rpm and max torque of 374.4 lbs/ft @ 2635 rpm.
I think the feeling of going faster is increased by engine noise.

As for a frozen `ring, well the tyres wont wear so quick
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #60
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My printout shows a max power of 232.6 @ 3790 rpm and max torque of 374.4 lbs/ft @ 2635 rpm.
I think the feeling of going faster is increased by engine noise.

As for a frozen `ring, well the tyres wont wear so quick
So at what revs do you shift?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 12:43 AM   #61
nagge
Swedish user
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330dA

Sounds like ESS is hard at work
Maybe I'll go back sometime this summer and have them up the power a bit more, currently 290hp/600Nm.

Interesting what you said Dan about getting higher revs. Is that something you asked for?
      12-17-2007, 12:52 AM   #62
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagge View Post
Sounds like ESS is hard at work
Maybe I'll go back sometime this summer and have them up the power a bit more, currently 290hp/600Nm.

Interesting what you said Dan about getting higher revs. Is that something you asked for?
Not really, Asbjørn just did it. Dont know if you can do it with automatic gearbox. Is your car a manual?

What model year is your car? Did you dyno it? result in WHP?

Dag
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 12:55 AM   #63
nagge
Swedish user
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Not really, Asbjørn just did it. Dont know if you can do it with automatic gearbox. Is your car a manual?

What model year is your car? Did you dyno it? result in WHP?

Dag
2006 automatic.

No dyno since it was occupied by an M3 and I didnt really fell the need, asbjorn just took it out on the back roads and clocked it with his cell

If I go back there I will surely dyno it before and after to see the difference
      12-17-2007, 01:15 AM   #64
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagge View Post
2006 automatic.

No dyno since it was occupied by an M3 and I didnt really fell the need, asbjorn just took it out on the back roads and clocked it with his cell

If I go back there I will surely dyno it before and after to see the difference
jj

Last edited by dagjohnsen; 01-14-2008 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 04:35 AM   #65
nagge
Swedish user
Sweden
Rep

Sounds like I'm heading back this summer then

Although the power is more then enough I want more if possible
      12-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #66
dagjohnsen
Second Lieutenant
Rep

remapped 325d, not dead!

hh

Last edited by dagjohnsen; 01-14-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0