E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > ughhh what am i doing wrong?!?!

02-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 C63

ughhh what am i doing wrong?!?!

So I washed my car for the first time today and put swirls all over it, i dont understand what im doing wrong , had this same problem with my black coupe I just dont know what to do. I use micro fiber mits to wash it, microfiber towels to dry it, i use the double bucket method. What am I doing wrong? I'm officially never washing my car again at this point.
      02-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

You didn't read the detailers DIY.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Define Microfiber. From where are you getting them?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Well, if the swirls were there to begin with, you weren't correcting them. So how do you know you put more swirls in it? Just by washing off the dirt, you see can the existing swirls better.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Yes, that's what I'm curious about also i.e. were the swirls already there and now you can see them better?
      02-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
Define Microfiber. From where are you getting them?

+1, when I was a detailing noob I used to use Wal-Mart microfiber. They feel like sandpaper compared to ones from Detailed Image.
      02-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Make sure you keep dipping in the bucket. Try to make as much suds as possible on the paint the suds act like a shield on the paint.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep

I bought them from autozone, i figured microfiber was microfiber
and I know they weren't there before because these swirls im talking about run horizontally down the side of the car, like something I was washing it with caused it. Is there anyway these can be removed without using an orbital?? Last time this happened with my black coupe i took it to a detailer and then instead of swirls I had holograms and I'm not going through the same thing again.
      02-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

The Autozone microfilbers are actually pretty decent, so I would doubt it's that. Your washing method seems sound from what you describe too. I really don't think you're the cause of these swirls, at least not to the extent you're describing. Some swirls are inevitable after a while (even when exclusively hand washing) which is why there's polish.

Another possibility is that you were actually washing away a filling glaze used by the dealer to make the car look good on the lot. All dealers do this, and the cars look amazing for a few weeks (or a wash or two) until the filling glaze wears off. Then you're left with the paint's true condition. You had an E92 before, right? And presumably you bought the E90 used? It could have been run through a tunnel wash weekly for the past two years causing the swirls.

To get it looking good again, you'll need a polish with an orbital or rotary. Find a real detailer in your area either here or on Autopia who has the proper tools and experience for paint correction. Buffer trails and holograms are telltale signs of an inexperienced detailer, and should absolutely not be the end result of a professional paint correction.

Post up a picture or two if you can, in full sunlight.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
The Autozone microfilbers are actually pretty decent, so I would doubt it's that. Your washing method seems sound from what you describe too. I really don't think you're the cause of these swirls, at least not to the extent you're describing. Some swirls are inevitable after a while (even when exclusively hand washing) which is why there's polish.

Another possibility is that you were actually washing away a filling glaze used by the dealer to make the car look good on the lot. All dealers do this, and the cars look amazing for a few weeks (or a wash or two) until the filling glaze wears off. Then you're left with the paint's true condition. You had an E92 before, right? And presumably you bought the E90 used? It could have been run through a tunnel wash weekly for the past two years causing the swirls.

To get it looking good again, you'll need a polish with an orbital or rotary. Find a real detailer in your area either here or on Autopia who has the proper tools and experience for paint correction. Buffer trails and holograms are telltale signs of an inexperienced detailer, and should absolutely not be the end result of a professional paint correction.

Post up a picture or two if you can, in full sunlight.
ive tried so hard to find a good detailer here, and cant seem to find one. Im so frustrated lol, i swore up and down after my E92 id never own another dark colored car but fell in love with the monaco and am dealing with the same thing all over. I'll try taking pics tomorrow.
      02-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #11
mvillezcas
BMW SD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92

You're in Florida. I'm pretty sure you'll find a good detailer there somewhere. Ask around and people will let you know who to go to.

Too bad you're not in San Diego.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #12
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

For future reference, here are two great reads on properly washing your car without adding swirls...

How to wash your car without adding swirls
Washing and drying how-to

The washing and drying technique has a bigger part on whether or not you add swirls to the paint or not. Adding a Grit Guard bucket insert and frequently rinsing your wash media is very important. Microfiber isn't a common wash media because it doesn't release contamination as well as a sheepskin wash mitt or a grout sponge will. Even if you use the two bucket wash system, if the microfiber is still retaining some of the contamination, you'll add swirls to the paint.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
While this is pure speculation...I'd bet serious $$$ that this is true...this is the oldest trick is the stealers guide to ripping you off...

Find a good detailer and it will be a good soon enough...

and remember..."Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it."

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
Quote:
While this is pure speculation...I'd bet serious $$$ that this is true...this is the oldest trick is the stealers guide to ripping you off...

I'd have to agree. When I first saw my wife's car on the lot it hadn't been prepped and it was swirled very heavily. They assured me it would be fixed. When I showed up, it looked great, until I started flashing the panels with my SLR and saw all the defects, despite their fillers. I ended up negotiating an additional $300 off "so I can pick a proper detailer to fix this later."

Anyway, it sucks that they just 'fill' in the problems, but it is just the facts of life. Some of the detailing sites show how Ferrari's come from the factory, some nasty paint condition before the pro detailers are done. But when you buy a $200,000 car, you can afford the $700 for a professional.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #15
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
I agree they were prolly already there but you should never go in circular motion on a black car, just a heads up.
      02-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335/white-saddle/msport

No matter what you do, you will eventually end up with swirl marks over time. Even a brand spanking new car will have them. You have people rubbing the paint at the assembly plant, a heavy wax applied at the factory, removed at the delivery port, there's bound to be some fall out from sitting at the port and the long boat trip (despite it being inside), the car is even waxed at the delivery port. So, even if you instruct your dealer to not wash and wax the car before you take delivery, and you go and get it as soon as it comes off the truck at the dealer (so they don't have a chance to wash it 50 times), you'll still have swirl marks. It's all about managing them.

There are many, many over the top products and methods of reducing swirls. However, I find that a grit guard, nice towels, a squeegee do a pretty good job. I just don't want to spend more than an hour or so washing the car..after a point, you just end up with diminishing returns.

I have found that because of water restrictions in SoCal (I am not allowed to wash without a nozzle) I cannot sheet dry the car. As a result, I use a drying squeegee/blade (NOT the jelly blade they sell at places like Walmart and Target!!!) such as the one sold herel; I have never introduced any marks using it. With a good coat of wax and a blade, you can get almost all the water off the paint without ever touching it with microfiber.