E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Got into an accident. Should I replace my rack and pinion?

04-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
tomshong
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Got into an accident. Should I replace my rack and pinion?

Hi experts,

I need some advise on repairing my 330i.

I recently got into an car accident down in San Diego. No one is injured. While I was switching lanes in a tight spot, a Mazda on the other lane side came up behind and side swiped my car. My car suffered visible damage to the left side of the fender and the bumper as shown in the pictures below. My left wheel was knocked out of alignment when it came in contact with the other car. I called the BMW Assist and got a tow truck out. My car is still down in SD in a BMW certified repair shop. My insurance company State Farm determined I was at fault for doing an unsafe maneuver.

Here' the problem I am having. According to the shop, there's an internal memo from BMW, requiring the replacement of this $1,500 steering assembly called rack and pinion, when an accident such as mine occurred regardless of the level of damage. However, when the State Farm adjustor came and inspected the vehicle, they stated they didn't see any visible damage to the assembly (which the shop stated they couldn't really see - since it is actually located in an enclosed box), therefore the insurance will not cover the expense of replacing this part. The shop is stating that they still wish to replace the part, for my safety, and per the manufactory's requirement. So in the meantime they will continue to pursuit the possibility of replacing this part in my car, and get the reimbursement from State Farm for parts and labor for that assembly.

So what's your advise in my situation? judging from the pictures, would there actually be any damage to this rack and pinion assembly? Should I have this part replaced? Or should I just leave it alone?

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

If there is a BMW memo that requires the replacement then State Farm has no argument. People who made the car > Insurance company trying to get off cheap. Make sure they pay for it and make sure you get it replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
Silent9o8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jet Black M3 Convertible

hey what did u end up doing i jsut hit my M3 and there saying the same thing i have to replace steering and rack pinion for about 1900 LOL and something called rack CORE charge another 500 from a private BMW shop

i severly bent my left front lower arm
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent9o8 View Post
hey what did u end up doing i jsut hit my M3 and there saying the same thing i have to replace steering and rack pinion for about 1900 LOL and something called rack CORE charge another 500 from a private BMW shop

i severly bent my left front lower arm
A core charge is a deposit until they get the old part back.
Appreciate 0