E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > For those of you with Cell Phone Address Book Issues

02-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #1
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Smile For those of you with Cell Phone Address Book Issues

(My experience is with the Sony Ericsson w810i, but I'm sure other phones will have similar issues.)

People have reported that some phone numbers mysteriously disappear from the BMW's phone book, but it seemed inexplicable which ones were disappearing.

I finally figured this out today -- only numbers on your SmartChip show up in the BMW phone book! So, when the phone says "SmartChip Full" while saving a number, it means that number will not show up on the BMW phone book.

Not sure who to blame there. But it's an easy fix. On the W810i, if you go to the Phone Book, there is an "Options" selection that will let you move numbers back onto the SmartChip, or to delete extraneous SmartChip entries.

The main issue seems to be with the phone actually, because it will actually push entries OUT of the SmartChip without telling you. I haven't figured that part out yet... but hopefully this info will already solve most problems and give some understanding of what the heck is going on, even if you have a different phone.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
WTF is a "SmartChip"? You mean SIM?

That behavior is going to be completely phone-dependent. I believe that on my phone the opposite is true: only phone-stored numbers show up and SIM-stored ones don't.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, I think the w810i calls the SIM card a "SmartChip".

My point was just to give some info about what's going on -- as you point out, other phones can be different, but once you are aware that this type of thing happens, it's easier to figure out other phones too. I and a friend of mine were both quite perplexed, and it took quite a lot of poking around to figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
KillDork
First Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E90 MY '06 320D

If you mean SIM-card that's not the case. SE-phones show all contacts(and numbers) stored in the internal memory on the iDrive-screen, and SIM-cards (typically) don't store as many contacts and numbers.
Aluminium trim|black Dakota leather|Xenon|Comfort Access|Sports seats|Steptronic|iDrive Professional|Bluetooth|Voice|PDC front & rear|sun shade rear window & sides|auto dim outside & inside mirrors|Comfort|Dynamic|Advantage
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Yes, I think the w810i calls the SIM card a "SmartChip".

My point was just to give some info about what's going on -- as you point out, other phones can be different, but once you are aware that this type of thing happens, it's easier to figure out other phones too. I and a friend of mine were both quite perplexed, and it took quite a lot of poking around to figure it out.
Point taken. This place could really use a wiki for stuff like this. Searching that giant sticky "Bluetooth Phone Compatibility Notes" thread kinda sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, exactly. As far as I could find based on searches, there was no specific answer to the w810i phone book issues. But yeah, that insight can help everyone. I tried posting in the general section for that reason, but it was immediately moved here.
Appreciate 0