E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Nissan GT-R beats Nurburgring lap record

05-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Nissan GT-R beats Nurburgring lap record

I realise we all love our BMW's however you have to respect these beasts. Have a read .......

Latest word from the "Office for Nurburgring Lap Records" (surely one exists considering how many attempts there are on the record!) is that Nissan have stepped up and broken their own production car lap record of the famous circuit. The report below was provided by Terry Martin and published in John Mellor's GoAutoNews.

NISSAN has smashed its own production car lap record at the famous Nordschleife circuit at the Nurburgring in Germany, achieving a lap time of seven minutes and 29 seconds during testing late last month - nine seconds faster than the previous test. Nissan claims GT-R chief test driver Tochio Suzuki set the time in a base-specification version of the 353kW coupe, which is due on sale here in early 2009, fitted with standard tyres. A performance benchmark for the world's top sportscar manufacturers, the Nordschleife is a sinewy 20.8km stretch of forest road. Suzuki-san, who also set the GT-R's previous record, achieved the quicker time despite reportedly damp conditions on two corners. The 7:29 result is claimed to be one of the fastest laps ever achieved by a production car at the "green hell," with unofficial timing placing the GT-R third behind the Porsche Carrera GT (7:28.0) and Pagani Zonda F (7:27.8). "At last year's testing, we were frustrated by the conditions at the Nurburgring, always believing that the GT-R could go under seven minutes 30 seconds," said GT-R chief vehicle engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno. "Below seven minutes 30 seconds, the GT-R proves it is among the fastest mass-production cars in the world. We set out to build a multiperformance supercar accessible to anyone, anytime and anywhere - I believe the GT-R has delivered that promise." The lighter-weight, more track-oriented Spec V version understood to be in development should be even quicker.
- TERRY MARTIN

Of course the lucky drivers coming on the Ultimate Nurburgring Tour with us in June will be doing their upmost to put their track specced BMW M cars under the 7 minute 30 sec mark....NOT!!! We are hoping to have an example of the new GT-R at a Burrows Day later in the year. Now that will be a big event!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yeah I've seen this on a couple of other forums, can't wait until the V Spec hits.

You go out to the Burrows Day's? I was under the impression they still ran exclusively in NSW.

Last edited by 1q2w3e4r; 05-07-2008 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
Das M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 ///M3

crazy fast...
      05-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
You go out to the Burrows Day's? I was under the impression they still ran exclusively in NSW.
Went to one a while back in Sydney with a friend who has a F360. It was a great day.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Shame it is so damned ugly... LOADED did it in style Annndd in noise polution!!!