E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery exploded in my trunk; Please read so this doesn't happen to your E9X.

12-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #133
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

My believe is the battery registration issue is around the 80% charge being mentioned. These cars have ED/BER (brake enenergy recovery) which requires the ECU to manage the battery at about 80% charge, so it can take up to 20% charge while you're breaking. The micro hybrid effect.

Now I ASSUME the ECU has a logic that compensates the battery charge level for the age of the battery, likely corrected by IBS input. Or in other words, on an old battery it expects to see some 10% lower voltage for the same 80% charge level.

Now IF I'm right, then a battery registartion will tell the ECU there's a new battery, and it should associate 80% charge with the new (10% higher) battery voltages

Again, IF I'm right, not registering the battery results in the ECU managing your new battery at 10% less from 80%, or 70% something levels, as it still expects an old battery.
The issue I could see with that is that on a long BER event, significantly more amps flow into the battery as it has been managed at a too low level. Now could this overheat the battery? Charging voltage under BER is 14.8V
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #134
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG View Post
...again, you bought yourself the wrong car, outside your financial comfort zone. If ~ 350 is "prohibitive" for you then you need a different car. Sorry...
That is a little harsh considering the situation at a hand.

The man replaced a battery. It could have happened to any one of us.

REALISTICALLY, when was the last time you checked your manual to change the battery for a vehicle.

In my past 8 cars, Ive NEVER checked the manual for my battery changes. By no accident, all my cars were fine, cause those cars didnt have some BS where you had to get manufactuer approved batteries or coding/programming. Whatever the hell.

Everyone is being a little unrealistic.

As it is American cars have enough dumb stickers scattered throughout the car of warnings, there should atleast be a stupid sticker on the battery or in the area about the problems that can incounter without the proper changing of the battery.

Again, lets be realistic.

Its clearly obvious he genuinely thought he was being ripped off about going to the dealer for the battery. If it was in plain black and white (not buried in a manual that nobody reads on changing batteries), and was COMMON PRACTICE OF VEHICLES, I'm sure he would have been more inclined to go the necessary route.

This methodology of changing batteries on this vehicle is far from the NORM, infact its the only car I know that has this procedure.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 12-26-2010 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #135
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

So what's the debate about? The battery can be registered by BT tool, which is very useful and pays for itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 03:59 AM   #136
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Wow, this thread seems to indicate there's a need for the manufacturers to educate folks on where technology is at.

I know a lot of us come from an era when the electrical system was relatively simple, but no so these days. "Advanced Energy Management" is one of the descriptions. It is a complex system where old ideas don't fit in.

As to invoking the 'Register Battery Renewal' part, that is essential to acheive and maintain perfect system function and a full life cycle of the new battery. Plus preventing unwanted side effects. But as others have said, it doesn't need BMW directly, to do this, just the correct diagnostic kit.

I don't understand all the negative talk against BMW, or comparing to old ways of doing things. Technology has moved on and will get even more complex as we demand more economy, lower emissions and more functions from our vehicle's energy system.

BMW are one of the leaders in this sort of advance in technology. We buy into it, whether we like it or not.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #137
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
You are wrong, 50k for a high performance car is expensive but it doesnt mean that the battery that runs in this car emits a more expensive luxury 12 volts...
Actually yes it does. Because the battery in this car isnt just your plain old Duralast shit Autozone 12v battery. Everyone has the "12 volts is 12volts" mentality but they have no clue about the systems on the car.

You buy an expensive car, you are going to have to deal with expensive parts. EVERY manufacturer is like that. And its not just batterys that are expensive, everything is. Hell rotors alone are like $150-200 a PIECE on a 3 series. You pay the price to buy an expensive car.

Like mentioned. I wouldnt go out and buy a Ferrari if I could only afford the car payment, but then go ahead and bash the manufacturer because of the ridiculously expensive cost on an oil change, or that fact that its like $25k to put a clutch in some of them!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #138
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

I have to agree we are not running 'standard' 12V technology. The Energy Management can up the charge voltage to around 16V, if necessary, to increase the charge rate. So ideas of 12V with 14.2/14.4V charging (or whatever) are things of the past with the latest BMW systems.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #139
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Okay, I'm ready to declare that the "Battery Registration" issue has over taken the "15,000 Mile Oil Change Interval “ as the official E90 Post.com debate thread.

Now we'll have to debate what is the best battery to use for the E90 too.

Where's TrackRat when you need him!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #140
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Battery registration does not have to be in the owner's manual. The owner's manual is for general info. A repair manual (Bentley) will tell you how to fix your car. I don't understand all the anger towards BMW for requiring the battery to be registered. They didn't force anyone to buy the car. If it bothers anyone so much the answer is simple, just don't buy their cars. I am not happy about the oil stick and trans stick deletes, but not so much as to prevent me from buying another BMW.

For the DIY'ers you can still change the battery yourself and reset it with the BT tool (see my sig.). The key to any DIY is to read the repair manual and use the right tools.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #141
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I like the best battery thread idea, but perhaps it deserves its own thread. We don't want to rehash too much of the stuff from the old Braille threads.

Candidates:

OEM
OEM MiniCooper (smaller and lighter)
Braille variants
Others: Interstate etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #142
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I have to agree we are not running 'standard' 12V technology. The Energy Management can up the charge voltage to around 16V, if necessary, to increase the charge rate. So ideas of 12V with 14.2/14.4V charging (or whatever) are things of the past with the latest BMW systems.

HighlandPete
And the "benefit" compared to competitors is...? How can the competitors achieve the same outcome without this additional complexity (and cost unfortunately).

I don't know about the "charging" point of view, but I have a permanent Scangauge and in 1.5 years the battery never showed higher than 14.X volts.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #143
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
And the "benefit" compared to competitors is...? How can the competitors achieve the same outcome without this additional complexity (and cost unfortunately).

I don't know about the "charging" point of view, but I have a permanent Scangauge and in 1.5 years the battery never showed higher than 14.X volts.
Personally don't see the comparison to other manufacturers, as they too are moving to more complex systems, may just be timing is different. Certainly in Europe we sense they are playing 'catch up', due to BMW's ED features, which of course use the Energy Management System.

As to what you personally find in your charging circuit, doesn't mean the parameters aren't there and have to be respected. I have seen my system at 15.6V, it's one reason I looked into the whole Energy Management issues.

I'm sure you are aware the system can switch down functions as well, to 'share out' power resources. Things like HVAC fan speeds and the heated window element. Also if we run diesel, the PTC heating element is power managed to keep the demands within pre-determined parameters.

I just see all this as part of the technology we now have in our cars. In the end we pay for it. Setting up the system when a new battery is fitted, is just one part of it.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #144
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2

Just to add my . 02C. I was at a dealer today getting a tire mounted to the rim (potholes suck) and I overheard another service advisor say on the phone "you can, but if you don't bring it in to have a BMW battery put in, I will be seeing you real soon anyway".

I instantly thought about this thread.
      12-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #145
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

I called my sa today and he said that if I don't register my new battery, it will be toast on about 3 weeks. He quoted $168 and 3 hours. Damn.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #146
AlexH
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93

Quote:
So please tell us *exactly* why BMW has this requirement (but not most of its competitors who happen to have modern and complex electrical systems as well), and how it gives BMW an edge. Inquiring mind would like to know really.
I think what you said is an understatement. I think most competitors have not only more sophisticated electronics than BMW, but better. Beside the driving pleasure, sitting in my 2009 BMW 335 and looking at the electronics i feel like I am still staring at the 1990s dash and electronics.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #147
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
For the DIY'ers you can still change the battery yourself and reset it with the BT tool (see my sig.). The key to any DIY is to read the repair manual and use the right tools.
Just be aware that the BT tool's new battery adaptation option is under the "commands" menu which is DME-specific and isn't available for every 3- or 5-series model. For example, the "commands" menu is available for the 328i and 335i but I don't believe it's there for the M3's MSS60 DME. To be safe, check the BT Tool Features Matrix to be sure the "commands" menu is available and if still unsure, drop BT an e-mail.
      12-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #148
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
BMW doesn't manufacture batteries. I guess that we wouldn't have to complain if there were not so many reports of 350$+ quoted by dealers.

On realoem, there is a list of non-AGM batteries with reasonable price.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...99&hg=61&fg=30

How retail 123$, 136$ and 144$ batteries end up to the 350$ quotes above seem excessive, IMO.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges. E90/E92 come with an AGM battery and that is what the dealer will replace it with. From the link you posted (screen cap above), the AGM battery is $246. So if your dealer installs an AGM battery for $350 total, including the battery, installation, and registration, that does not seem quite so outrageous.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #149
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
Actually yes it does. Because the battery in this car isnt just your plain old Duralast shit Autozone 12v battery. Everyone has the "12 volts is 12volts" mentality but they have no clue about the systems on the car.

You buy an expensive car, you are going to have to deal with expensive parts. EVERY manufacturer is like that. And its not just batterys that are expensive, everything is. Hell rotors alone are like $150-200 a PIECE on a 3 series. You pay the price to buy an expensive car.
I know. When we had to change the battery for our Acura RL (long story, dealer wasn't available), all it took was one tool, simply bolt on and off. This is a car that is considerably more advanced where it counts and also more expensive than a 3 Series.

I think i know why BMW is 2-3 places from dead last in the Reliability Surveys and Acura is first (or second if they have a bad day). They needlessly complicate simple things.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #150
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaMan View Post
JUICED46: Well, my car is an '09 not a 2011, and THERE IS NOTHING IN MY OWNER'S MANUAL ABOUT THE REQUIREMENT TO DO ANY REGISTRATION!! So I guess what I will do is what I have always done when the time comes to replace my battery-of course by then the warranty will be over and I intend to sell this complex POS with failing fuel pumps! Conversation over.
If you are lucky, you could still be in warranty and they would deny you for having bad driving habits.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #151
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post

I think you are comparing apples and oranges. E90/E92 come with an AGM battery and that is what the dealer will replace it with. From the link you posted (screen cap above), the AGM battery is $246. So if your dealer installs an AGM battery for $350 total, including the battery, installation, and registration, that does not seem quite so outrageous.

I don't think that's accurate. I remember having read here that AGM battery from BMW are black and most of E9X batteries on road are white. True or false. As far as I know, they are just your typical plain Jane batteries and nothing exotic.

Quote:
They needlessly complicate simple things.
My point exactly.... couldn't agree more.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #152
Suckr4Straight6s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 330i 6MT TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
Gee about all I can say after reading your F**cking stupid post is that you got just the Sh*t you had coming not checking on the battery issue. You stupid F*cks think it's BMW's fault your so F*cking lazy and cheap to properly service your ride.
================================================== =================
Moderator, please understand the sarcasm is to illustrate how much fun it is to read a vulgarity laced post on this forum!
Not even gonna waste my breath.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #153
Suckr4Straight6s
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
That is a little harsh considering the situation at a hand.

The man replaced a battery. It could have happened to any one of us.

REALISTICALLY, when was the last time you checked your manual to change the battery for a vehicle.

In my past 8 cars, Ive NEVER checked the manual for my battery changes. By no accident, all my cars were fine, cause those cars didnt have some BS where you had to get manufactuer approved batteries or coding/programming. Whatever the hell.

Everyone is being a little unrealistic.

As it is American cars have enough dumb stickers scattered throughout the car of warnings, there should atleast be a stupid sticker on the battery or in the area about the problems that can incounter without the proper changing of the battery.

Again, lets be realistic.

Its clearly obvious he genuinely thought he was being ripped off about going to the dealer for the battery. If it was in plain black and white (not buried in a manual that nobody reads on changing batteries), and was COMMON PRACTICE OF VEHICLES, I'm sure he would have been more inclined to go the necessary route.

This methodology of changing batteries on this vehicle is far from the NORM, infact its the only car I know that has this procedure.

You're absolutely right. This is how I felt about the whole situation.

Last edited by Suckr4Straight6s; 12-30-2010 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #154
Suckr4Straight6s
Private First Class
Rep

Just an update for everybody; My car will be done later today. Once I pick it up, I will gather all the information I they give me and forward it onto this thread. I'll try and scan the invoice too.
Appreciate 0