E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Second UK Meet - Sign Up Here!

06-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #45
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
Oh...and who's going to be our spokesperson when BMW Magazine turn up???

Viv
Paddy of course!! It would be hilarious
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #46
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
The Diamant was chartered to cover the TT. The SuperSeaCatTwo is a bit tight as you go down to the lower deck area, but holds an E46 nicely - been on it four times!

I'm game to go for it..... Ironically I was planning on being over there next month for the Southern100 road races (10th to 13th). But family illness meant that the plans never got off the ground.

We need to put a lot of stuff together though and get some consensus:

1) When and for how long? (remember those crossings as they'll lose a chunk of time, especially if the weather intervenes. Tonight the Liverpool 1830 fast craft is cancelled and people are having to go from Heysham - that's at 0245 sailing for a 4 hour crossing, so you could miss a night's action / sleep). Plus if you come back that way you'll get back to Blighty at 0230 ready to drive home. I've been there and the day after is fun - like a hangover without the entertainment before hand But seriously - you'd have to consider being delayed if you have immediate commitments. Midweek crossings and night crossings are cheaper but they are all expensive as the Steam Packet is the only operator.

2) What sort of accomodation would people like? The hotels and guest houses are mainly tourist type beachfront ones with no parking. Those with parking tend to be the likes of the Hilton (£££) and similar (and their overflow carpark is as rough as the proverbial badger's armpit). There are campsites and also a few hostels and even a motel. The island is so small that location is never going to be an issue.

3) ... and the biggest - who wants to do it?

A couple of tasters of the mountain road... (and a shot of the course car at last years Southern100!)
Attached Images

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #47
thebigman
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

Just take all the boats – we will fill them all !!!

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 04:45 AM   #48
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sports

Well hello everyone.

I havent been on here for so long as frankly I have been pretty busy with work. Damn summer and everyone going on holidays! Anyway, I have just had a scan through the thread and could be enticed to join you all again. Only problem is I havent even had one day off in the last 6 weekends, nor do I have one in the foreseeable future (thats another 5 weeks for me) so I might actually need to request the time off if i am going to be able to join you. Anyway, if a time is decided on I will do what I can to make it, any venue fine by me. Cant make 12/13 or 19/20 of August as I will be on a very well earned holiday, but maybe the weekends before and after would work for me.

Maybe one of these would solve the travel problems. Not going to have too much trouble witht the weather, as long as the airport is not fogged out, and they have great performance so landing at Isle of Mann wont be a problem, plus they have great storage space. Can carry tanks, so a few E90's wont be a problem. Maybe our American friends can help sourcing a couple to borrow for the weekend! Don't think Tony would be too keen on letting us borrow the British ones, as he likes to use UK assets for personal benefit only - not for use by the general public.

Name:  C-17A_RIAT2005_011_800.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  36.3 KB
      06-21-2006, 04:49 AM   #49
thebigman
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

We should also take several of those planes.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 05:42 AM   #50
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Guys, although going to the Isle of Man is a great idea and personally I would be up for it, I do think it will limit the number of attendees to the second meet. It will likely attract the hardcore from the first meet but newbees could be put off by the distance and cost.

Why don't we organise a meet in central England again (accessible to everyone) where there are are great roads, go-karting, parks (for BBQ)restaurants and hotels nearby. This will help attract a big crowd and more E90's.

Perhaps at the second meet we then discuss who's up for a "hardcore" driving trip to the Isle of Man.

Just my thoughts guys, I don't want to spoil the idea! Honest!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #51
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company's HSC Seacat Diamant can hold upto 140 cars:

Their HSC SuperSeaCat Two can hold upto 148 cars:
Fill one of these with E90s and it'll put the SoCal boys to shame. OK, nice dreams!
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 12:36 PM   #52
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty
Guys, although going to the Isle of Man is a great idea and personally I would be up for it, I do think it will limit the number of attendees to the second meet. It will likely attract the hardcore from the first meet but newbees could be put off by the distance and cost.

Why don't we organise a meet in central England again (accessible to everyone) where there are are great roads, go-karting, parks (for BBQ)restaurants and hotels nearby. This will help attract a big crowd and more E90's.

Perhaps at the second meet we then discuss who's up for a "hardcore" driving trip to the Isle of Man.

Just my thoughts guys, I don't want to spoil the idea! Honest!
Been thinking almost exactly the same. It's a nice, ambitious thought of, dare I suggest it, 25 or 30 E90s whipping around IoM but the logistics and expense may preclude it. At least it kick started the thread again.

Maybe more thought can be put into Isle of Man during another "main island" meet and not just thrown together over the course of a month or so. We might even settle for a weekend in '07 for this to give everyone something to plan for and salivate over. Also get more information of accommodations and block booking.

Anyone got a Plan "B"?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #53
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
Been thinking almost exactly the same. It's a nice, ambitious thought of, dare I suggest it, 25 or 30 E90s whipping around IoM but the logistics and expense may preclude it. At least it kick started the thread again.

Maybe more thought can be put into Isle of Man during another "main island" meet and not just thrown together over the course of a month or so. We might even settle for a weekend in '07 for this to give everyone something to plan for and salivate over. Also get more information of accommodations and block booking.

Anyone got a Plan "B"?
Unfortunately, I've got to say I agree with Floyd & Paul.
The Isle of Man will preclude a lot of members, so perhaps a meet in central England would be better.
We can save a trip to the Isle for the 'hardcore' members sometime later.

So, back to basics- when & where?

I'm looking at the very end of July & beginning of August as possibilities.

I'm still waiting to confirm for definite though.

Is thebigman still coming down, even if the meet is still on the mainland??
It'd be good to meet up with a few of the Celtic clan this time!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #54
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is thebigman still coming down, even if the meet is still on the mainland??
It'd be good to meet up with a few of the Celtic clan this time!
If he does I hope he doesn't make us all wear kilts. My legs are soooo pale and I'd look silly in a dress.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #55
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
So, back to basics- when & where?

I'm looking at the very end of July & beginning of August as possibilities.

Viv
Why don't we start with the same location as last time - Donington Park in Derbyshire - and see what people think? If we managed 15/16 last time then with even more E90's on the road and retaining a central location we should be able to easily top that.

Plus we know there are some good roads nearby, country pubs, quaint village restaurants and hotels if enough members want to make a weekend of it. We could do a search and find the nearest go-kart track etc for entertainment. I suppose with the meet being July/August we need to make sure that the Museum car park will not be used for a race day!

Despite my suggestion, this thread is still open to suggestions for a central location. Make your thoughts known!

Paul.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #56
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
looks like a C-17
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #57
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I have to agree. Whilst the island would be a great place for a meet, the level of discussion and organisation required means that we'd be far better off dicussing this at the next meet. Also, choosing a date well in advance of the meet is only fair to those that need time to co-ordinate with their employers / families.

Donnington worked well as a pretty central location, and could do so again, even if only as a meeting point. Maybe meet at Donnington, find a karting centre nearish for some fun and then head out for some driving fun the next day?

According to the Donnington website the circuit or exhibition centres will be in use on the following weekends:
July 21-23 - Model Boats and Engineering
July 29-30 - British Touring Cars
Aug 5 (Sat) - Britcar
Aug 6 (Sun) - Collectors Fair
Aug13 (Sun) - Motorcycle Club Championships
Aug20 (Sun) - RS Owners Club
Aug 26-27 - LeMans Series

So It looks like July 15, Aug 12 or 19th are the only free Saturdays. So as the August dates conflict with Craig's hols we're looking like July 15 - 16th if using Donington again.

What say you all?

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #58
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBurner
I have to agree. Whilst the island would be a great place for a meet, the level of discussion and organisation required means that we'd be far better off dicussing this at the next meet. Also, choosing a date well in advance of the meet is only fair to those that need time to co-ordinate with their employers / families.

Donnington worked well as a pretty central location, and could do so again, even if only as a meeting point. Maybe meet at Donnington, find a karting centre nearish for some fun and then head out for some driving fun the next day?

According to the Donnington website the circuit or exhibition centres will be in use on the following weekends:
July 21-23 - Model Boats and Engineering
July 29-30 - British Touring Cars
Aug 5 (Sat) - Britcar
Aug 6 (Sun) - Collectors Fair
Aug13 (Sun) - Motorcycle Club Championships
Aug20 (Sun) - RS Owners Club
Aug 26-27 - LeMans Series

So It looks like July 15, Aug 12 or 19th are the only free Saturdays. So as the August dates conflict with Craig's hols we're looking like July 15 - 16th if using Donington again.

What say you all?
Matt,
I'm not going to be able to make the weekend of July 15th, because it's my mother's birthday & I'd get a blasting if I went to the meet instead of to her birthday!

August 12th is also out, because of a friend's wedding- he gave me a year's notice as well!

As long as I can sort work out, I can't see a problem with any other weekend.

The other option is to look at other potential central meeting locations, where we won't be so restricted because of race meets etc

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2006, 02:20 AM   #59
timking85
Chief
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 525d SE

Garage List
Count me in! Let me know where and when the meet will be...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #60
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Here are the current likely 19 attendees for the second UK meet so far:

• beauforty (Paul) 330iSE Tiag
  • vivekk (Viv) 330iSE Tiag
  • 1stnewcar (Paul) 320dSE SG
  • Flyingdwarf (Craig) 320d M Sport SB
  • ric1 (Ric) 330d e91 M Sport LMB
  • JonMad (Jon) 320dSE
  • jhbodle (Jay) 325iSE SG
  • Hitman999 (Hiten) 320iSE
  • paddywac (John or 'Pads') 320d M Sport SB
  • OilBurner (Matt) e46 320dSE SG
  • SoYank (Floyd) 330iSE MB
  • Mickey (Marilyn) 330iSE TiAg
  • MattOz (Matt) 330d M Sport LMB
  • onejohnsheridan (John) 320d SB
  • webcoll (David) 320d SE JB
  • unknowndentist? (Chris) 330d M Sport / Ferrari ?
  • timking85 (Tim) 320d M Sport
  • staggerlee 320si
  • steeleez (Gary) 320si LMB

Occasion:
"Second" e90post.com UK meet
Venue: To be decided!
Date: To be decided!
Time: To be decided!

Last edited by vivekk; 06-23-2006 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #61
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Looks like Donnington is out, so perhaps we had better put some more effort into what we want to do and plan the meeting point from there.

Link for possible karting venues:
http://www.information-britain.co.uk...Motor%20Sports

A slight sideways thought on a meeting location could be to use a Forestry Commision carpark and Picnic Site, which can be searched for here:
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/r...Form&c=England

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2006, 03:45 PM   #62
staggerlee
England
Rep
Drives: E90320SI

Just got my E90 today - 320si and loving it. Also found out I had an E90 Post member as a neighbour. Hi soyank!
I would like to support a meet, have you ever thought about meeting at a currently arranged event such as BTCC, a Hillclimb or a BMW / Classic car show?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #63
timking85
Chief
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 525d SE

Garage List
What do you think of the 320Si?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2006, 04:09 PM   #64
staggerlee
England
Rep
Drives: E90320SI

Its great, although still to really use it. I had a an e46 2.0 litre and that used to run out of breath too soon. The free revving engine of the SI really ads to the capability of the 4 cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2006, 05:46 AM   #65
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
How about the following venues to meet up on the first day:

Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire

Mallory Park Circuit, Leicestershire

Diary of events for Mallory Park:

Date Day Type Club Meeting Details

02/07/2006
Sunday Car BRSCC Championship races for Single Seaters, Sports & Saloons.

08/07/2006
Saturday M/C VMCC Festival of 1000 Bikes (SATURDAY TICKET)

08/07/2006
Saturday M/C VMCC Festival of 1000 Bikes (WEEKEND TICKET)

09/07/2006
Sunday M/C VMCC Festival of 1000 Bikes (SUNDAY TICKET)

16/07/2006
Sunday M/C EMRA The Alamo Mallory Trophy Championship Road Races Round 4

23/07/2006
Sunday Car VSCC A fantastic day including the famous Edwardian & Bob Gerard Trophy races

30/07/2006
Sunday Car Morgan SCC Championship races for the great British marque.

06/08/2006
Sunday M/C Derby Phoenix A full day of championship action on two & three wheels.

13/08/2006
Sunday Car BARC Championship races for Single Seaters, Sports & Saloons.

20/08/2006
Sunday Car BRSCC Championship races for Single Seaters, Sports & Saloons.

27/08/2006
Sunday Car MGCC Championship races, A great day out for the MG enthusiasts

28/08/2006
Monday Car CSCC Classic marques of the past, Austin, Jaguar, Lotus, Ford etc.

As with Donington, Mallory Park looks like it has track days on some Saturdays, but that shouldn't make any difference to us meeting up.

So, possible Saturday dates to meet up at Mallory Park could be:
July 15 (but I won't be able to make that- sorry)
July 22
July 29
Aug 5
Aug 12
(but I won't be able to make that either- sorry)
Aug 19
Aug 26

I think it's going to be harder arranging a date that suits everyone, rather than a venue, so please could everyone check when they will be able to meet up before we decide where we'll meet up.

Unlike the last meet, we could set up our own BBQ & ensure we do get some food, instead of having to wait for a curry in the evening, because the public house wouldn't serve us for being slightly late!

Thanks.

Viv

Last edited by vivekk; 06-25-2006 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2006, 06:55 AM   #66
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Unlike the last meet, we could set up our own BBQ & ensure we do get some food, instead of having to wait for a curry in the evening, because the public house wouldn't serve us for being slightly late!

Thanks.

Viv
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Slightly late? As I recall, there was still food on the carvery line as we walked in the door; fifteen people! We spent more than an hour there. With food served instead of just a couple of bags of crisps, just think how much drink they could have served as well. Oh, well, their loss.

As for the BBQ we could get some of those one-shot grills but we'd need someone to bring a bottle of liquid oxygen so we could get them lit and ready in a reasonable amount of time...like 3 seconds. OK, call me impatient but we're talking food here.
Appreciate 0