E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Tips for getting Traffic Management in iDrive?

04-05-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
madstader
Rep
Drives: 318i Touring SE 2009

Tips for getting Traffic Management in iDrive?

Hi everyone,

Anyone got any tips for ensuring (as best you can) that traffic feeds are received by iDrive?

I can only find the 'receive traffic alerts' setting in the menus and yet it seems a bit hit or miss whether I get any traffic info through. When I do it's really useful and then when you start to rely on it 'No traffic info is available'...

How is this feed delivered - is it down to the radio station you're tuned into or is it fed some other way?

Many Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
540YMX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d Auto Ruby Black

TMC reception does seem rather intermittent at the moment and there aren't any other settings I can find to help with this, I think older systems had an option to change the radio station used to receive it.

If you switch the radio to Classic FM briefly this seems to help as this is the national carrier for the feed, Heart FM was also one listed by my previous car (Audi).

TMC station list

Been using it since 2001 and this has always been an issue at times.
      04-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
madstader
Rep
Drives: 318i Touring SE 2009

Great stuff - many thanks for this!

I guess it'll always be subject to some form of vagueness but this list of stations will help to give it the best chance of working (which is really useful when it does).

Thanks for the help :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

My TMC reception was intermittent since I got the new HDD Nav system in March 09.

Having tried fiddling with all the settings to no avail, I then deleted, one by one, all the preset and favourite radio stations on DAB / FM / AM etc of which there were dozens still in from the auto setup done when the car was new.

I then retuned to classic FM and set it as favourite no 1 (Classic FM is the default channel used by the TMC tuner to pick up TMC)

I have a couple of DAB/FM radio stations set on the 1-8 shortcut buttons but only classic FM as a 'favourite'.

Since then I have had 100% TMC reception right from start up every morning without fail.

I even get traffic status in about 30 seconds from start up, even before the end of our street, which never happened before.

Also try deselecting some of the different TMC features such as 'weather warnings' and 'traffic forecasts' etc which are a bit useless and just take up more screen space / time

Worth a go IMO!

Last edited by doughboy; 04-07-2010 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
My TMC reception was intermittent since I got the new HDD Nav system in March 09.

Having tried fiddling with all the settings to no avail, I then deleted, one by one, all the preset and favourite radio stations on DAB / FM / AM etc of which there were dozens still in from the auto setup done when the car was new.

I then retuned to classic FM and set it as favourite no 1 (Classic FM is the default channel used by the TMC tuner to pick up TMC)

I have a couple of DAB/FM radio stations set on the 1-8 shortcut buttons but only classic FM as a 'favourite'.

Since then I have had 100% TMC reception right from start up every morning without fail.

I even get traffic status in about 30 seconds from start up, even before the end of our street, which never happened before.

Also try deselecting some of the different TMC features such as 'weather warnings' and 'traffic forecasts' etc which are a bit useless and just take up more screen space / time

Worth a go IMO!
done it and it works a treat
      04-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

hmmm - back to intermittent last couple of days