E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > My $0.02 Steering Angle Sensor Fix

08-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #111
bicyclezero
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sports Wagon - 2008

Alignment was the fix for me!

After struggling to understand the problem with my car I found this forum post and wanted to try the fix. But before I did I brought the car to my BMW dealer for his analysis of the computer fault code. According to him I needed a new SAS - $1200! So, I took the whole thing apart. The tutorial was very accurate except for the air-bag removal. It was different on my 08 E91 for some reason. After taking the whole thing apart I got down to the optical disc and discovered that it looked brand spanking new. Shiny new. Crap. No easy fix for me. So, polished the optical sensor so I could say I did something proactive with my time. The next day it took longer for the fault light to come on, but on it came. The next stop in my mind would be to reflow the solder on the board using a heat gun or some such method. I was nervous about that so I decided to just take the car for an alignment which it needed anyway. The next day the fault stopped and hasn't been back since. My local guy who I use for repairs to my car told me I needed an alignment and another guy told me there is no light for an alignment and that is what the dealer told me. Anyway - that is what happened with my steering alignment sensor issue. Many thanks to all that have posted here!

UPDATE! After making it almost one month the lights are back on! Having an axle boot replaced at the shop on Thursday and I'll ask my guy to interpret the light. I'll keep you posted. I guess alignment wasn't the fix for me.

UPDATE- to the UPDATE! Light is off again. Seems to come on more with my key than with my wife's key. Dunno why. All is weird with this issue / non-issue.

Last edited by bicyclezero; 10-19-2015 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 04:43 AM   #112
Autobarn234
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclezero View Post
After struggling to understand the problem with my car I found this forum post and wanted to try the fix. But before I did I brought the car to my BMW dealer for his analysis of the computer fault code. According to him I needed a new SAS - $1200! So, I took the whole thing apart. The tutorial was very accurate except for the air-bag removal. It was different on my 08 E91 for some reason. After taking the whole thing apart I got down to the optical disc and discovered that it looked brand spanking new. Shiny new. Crap. No easy fix for me. So, polished the optical sensor so I could say I did something proactive with my time. The next day it took longer for the fault light to come on, but on it came. The next stop in my mind would be to reflow the solder on the board using a heat gun or some such method. I was nervous about that so I decided to just take the car for an alignment which it needed anyway. The next day the fault stopped and hasn't been back since. My local guy who I use for repairs to my car told me I needed an alignment and another guy told me there is no light for an alignment and that is what the dealer told me. Anyway - that is what happened with my steering alignment sensor issue. Many thanks to all that have posted here!

UPDATE! After making it almost one month the lights are back on! Having an axle boot replaced at the shop on Thursday and I'll ask my guy to interpret the light. I'll keep you posted. I guess alignment wasn't the fix for me.

UPDATE- to the UPDATE! Light is off again. Seems to come on more with my key than with my wife's key. Dunno why. All is weird with this issue / non-issue.

Hi,

In your case, does your cruise control work?
Does your headlight track with steering turn?
Do your trafficators automatically go off on returning the steering to a straight angle?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 04:45 AM   #113
Autobarn234
Private
Rep

I just got my 330i 2006 and I have the exact problem, wit the headlights not tracking and the trafficators not going off and the cruise control not working...the three error lights on dash too.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #114
paulie123
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

This fix worked like a dream and saved me $1400

Just wanted to thank the original poster on this very well detailed write up. I was living with this intermittent problem for the past 18 months until I came across this forum.

The dealership had read the fault code during a routine maintenance check and indicated that it was an issue with the Steering angle sensor and would cost $1400 to fix (that was BMW of San Francisco). Since it was a costly fix and it was only intermittent I decided against having it fixed.

Over the past 18 months it continued to get worse, to the point where it annoyed me so much that I decided to dig deep and that's when I found this post. I went through each of the steps, but didn't need to touch up any soldering as it was obvious from the amount of dirt (crystal build up) on the encoder disk (see attached picture) that it was most likely causing the issue. After cleaning the disk I with rubbing alcohol and a few Q-tips I put everything back together, re-calibrated the sensor according to the instructions (wheel full lock left & right) and haven't seen any problems for the past few weeks.

I can say with confidence that I believe the buildup of dirt on the encoder disk was the source of my issues. A huge thanks again to the original poster who wrote this up. If you look in the comments at how many people this has helped and you double the number (as not everyone will join a forum to share their experience), then you can only imagine the amount of money this single post has saved.

Obviously BMW know about this issue and instead of charging their loyal customers $1400 for a fix, they should explain that there could be an easier fix and attempt that first. Shame on BMW for not having a workflow process for this known problem, instead of taking the easy (and far more $lucrative$) approach of swapping out the complete module. My confidence in BMW dealerships supervising my wallet has come to an all time low so will be breaking off my love affair with the 3 series, which has been my car of choice for the past decade.

Thanks again to the original poster and everyone who contributed in the comments. You all saved me a bunch of cash

Paul.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #115
Shonky
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 320i, E46 M3

Another success here (well after a 15 minute drive at least, but I'm confident). My experience on my 2007 E91 323i with Msport wheel and paddles.

I had these codes reported in Rheingold
5E44 DSC: Steering-angle sensor, internal
5E49 DSC: Steering-angle sensor: plausability
5E43 DSC: Steering-angle sensor: Adjustment

It happened once or twice a year or two ago but a restart and the problem went away. I didn't ever bother chasing down the codes. But in the past week kept repeating. Clearing the codes and it might go a day or two OK, but then come back.

Idrive showed DSC, DBC, flat tyre monitor and start assistant failures. If I tried to activate cruise, a cruise control failure briefly flashed up but then disappeared. Turn signals wouldn't cancel. So usual sort of failures.

Interestingly, 2 of them are the same codes as the right rear wheel speed sensor and hub so googling that code frequently ends up to items about replace and/or cleaning the wheel speed sensors. I didn't realise the codes were reused between modules but even then a wheel speed sensor error would also come from the DSC module I would expect.

Not too much problem getting things apart.

Airbag: A bit tricky finding the spring for the airbag but only took a few minutes.

Cowling: The cowling I found easiest with a small screwdriver lightly levering from the inside against the centre of the wheel. That pushed the cowl pieces outwards and apart enough to get another small flat blade in between them from the outside. I also found moving the adjustable steering column up and down and all the way out helped a bit. All the way down meant the lower part wouldn't come off and all the way up meant the the upper part wouldn't come off.

Wheel wiring connectors: Only the left one (with wheels dead ahead) had a latch on mine.

I was a bit concerned about aligning every thing up but really the only issue to watch is the clockspring section doesn't turn. Everything else has features to align with each other but if the clock spring turns once or more either way there's potential to break it at full lock when reassembled.

Once I had the disk exposed it was a little strange. The rest of the module internally was all pretty clean. It was just optical disc. Mine looked a bit like dandruff I thought at first - see photos.

I just used a few cotton buds dipped in some 99.8% isopropyl alcohol. I just held it against the disc in the centre, middle and edge and rotated it around a few times to get it all. The "stuff" came off easily. One of my cotton buds went a bit black. Disc looked quite clean. I didn't bother with the underside - the instructions say that's etched with the encoder information. Really the whole disc is the encoder as the light shines through the disc. The other side is just as important to be clean but it seems the cruft just accumulates on the top.

I didn't bother with the soldering for now given what I found and I didn't want to pull it apart much more at the time. It was easy enough to pull out and do again if it fails again.

One minor scare when I put it all back together. Airbag failure. S***. Turned out I'd just not put one of the airbag connectors back on properly. They are pretty fool proof to put on too. Disconnect the battery again, fiddle to get the airbag off (quicker the second time). Push plug all the way in and put it back together. I needed to clear the airbag code of course. Also I needed to clear the two of the original 5Exx codes. One went away on its own, but the other two remained (did a full left lock, right lock whilst running but didn't drive it). Cleared them and took a test drive. Everything OK.

Thanks to for the thread. Hopefully it's saved me a few dollars. I wouldn't be surprised if I was pulling it out and soldering again though. My iDrive controller connector (the bus to the rest of the car) was not even soldered in. I'm surprised it lasted 7 years before become intermittent. I found another picture of one showing no solder too so mine wasn't an isolated case. After discovering that I was very surprised there aren't heaps of threads about it.

Edit: I've done around 60kms in 4 journeys and all good still. I'm convinced it's fixed
Attached Images

Last edited by Shonky; 12-04-2015 at 03:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #116
mrvedit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Similar to Paulie123 and Shonky, my problem turned out be the residue stuck to the optical disk.
Like many others, my "4x4" light would turn on intermittently, but often after sharp turns for parking.
I followed the OP's instructions in the first post, disassembled everything and re-soldered his suggested parts plus the connectors. I only cleaned the disk with some plastic cleaner, which still left the residue as in the pictures above. To keep it simple, I only reinstalled the sensor and clock-spring assemblies and the steering wheel, skipping the cowling and airbag.
I still had an intermittent problem. I then decided to test it (stationary and no wheel) with just the circuit board installed and used a small screwdriver to spin the disk. Sure enough, sometimes spinning the disk 1-1/2 turns counterclockwise and then 1-1/4 turns clockwise cleared the code and sometimes not. Turning the disk about 3 turns in either direction always set the code again.
After trying to take a picture of the infrared light, as described by the OP, and seeing nothing, I wondered if the light chip needed re-soldering. However, I then learned that most digital cameras have an infrared filter builtin because they are otherwise too sensitive to such light. Also, it sometimes worked.
I therefore removed the disk again and wiped it with chrome cleaner (slightly abrasive) until all the residue was removed and the disk was crystal clear. Upon installing just the circuit board assembly, I was able to clear the code 100% of the time. I then re-installed the steering wheel and drove it a few days and never got a code. With that, I reinstalled the cowling and the airbag and all is good.

Like everyone else, I would like to thank the OP for starting the thread and describing in detail how to disassemble everything. While my conclusion and fix are different, I would not have even attempted it without this thread.

Finally, perhaps already mentioned, but the OP's airbag removal instructions are for the sport wheel,;the stand wheel are quite different:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19680
2006 Corvette (streetable track car)
1986 535i "24 Hours of Lemons" also streetable
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #117
new0rder
Lowlife Republic
Rep
Drives: 06 325XI Monaco Blue

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max555 View Post
Could be a lose battery connection or something along those lines.
yes that was my issue. when the guy replace my battery they mess with my IBS, loose lots connections, after I tighten up all the connection on the IBS, no issue, so watch out when some one replace your battery or DIY next time.
      01-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #118
jbutzi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 325i

I believe I have this SAS problem on my 2002 E46 based on a friend reading the fault code for me. I tried to make this repair but was unsuccessful. Things look different from your pictures probably due to having a 4 spoke wheel. I got it all apart until I got to what looks to be identified as a steering squib. I cannot get this apart. Is that where the optical disc and sensor are located? I am stymied because I can't find the disc and sensor. I am new to BMW so I am open to all suggestions. Not sure I am on the right track or not. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. (The whole squib is pretty cheap on ebay if I have to replace)
This may be a related or second issue. Besides the three brake/ABS warning lights that are lit up, yesterday I am also getting a 25 count beeping noise whenever I accelerate from stopped going forward or reverse. Is that another problem or just a more persistent warning of the steering angle sensor problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #119
Shonky
Private
Australia
Rep

These instructions are for E9x and probably similar to other 1 and 5 series etc of similar age. E46 is a generation older so could be quite different. Whilst I do have an E46 as well I've not had this problem so not investigated possible fixes... Look on E46fanatics perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 10:55 PM   #120
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

What were the symptoms for those of you that have successfully fixed the problem with this DIY? Are turn signal and headlight tracking always part of the symptom?

Reason I ask is I got all those errors on the nav screen as OP (DSC, DBC and start assist), however turn signal and headlight tracking are working properly. If it's a problem with steering sensor, the turn signal and headlight tracking should fail too?

Also I started to have this problem after a visit to dealer, they checked the rear brake for me and reprogrammed to get rid of the brake pad warning. 5-10 min into driving away from the dealer those errors came up. Now I got those errors as soon as I turn on the car (not like some of you the error will show up after some driving). I suspect maybe dealer f'ed up something when they look at the brake...?

Wonder if I should try this before making the trip back to dealer...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #121
Shonky
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
What were the symptoms for those of you that have successfully fixed the problem with this DIY? Are turn signal and headlight tracking always part of the symptom?

Reason I ask is I got all those errors on the nav screen as OP (DSC, DBC and start assist), however turn signal and headlight tracking are working properly. If it's a problem with steering sensor, the turn signal and headlight tracking should fail too?

Also I started to have this problem after a visit to dealer, they checked the rear brake for me and reprogrammed to get rid of the brake pad warning. 5-10 min into driving away from the dealer those errors came up. Now I got those errors as soon as I turn on the car (not like some of you the error will show up after some driving). I suspect maybe dealer f'ed up something when they look at the brake...?

Wonder if I should try this before making the trip back to dealer...
I'd expect turn signal and headlight definitely to not work since about the only thing they depend on is the steering angle sensor.

Can you read codes yourself? Otherwise I'd go straight back to the dealer and hope it was related (because then they'd probably be responsible). If unrelated and coincidental then you'd be up for dealer costs. It's unlikely they could have stuffed something up. I'd try and get the codes read.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 11:32 PM   #122
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
I'd expect turn signal and headlight definitely to not work since about the only thing they depend on is the steering angle sensor.

Can you read codes yourself? Otherwise I'd go straight back to the dealer and hope it was related (because then they'd probably be responsible). If unrelated and coincidental then you'd be up for dealer costs. It's unlikely they could have stuffed something up. I'd try and get the codes read.
can you give me some tips on how to get the code read? are there some DIY guides?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 01:32 AM   #123
Shonky
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
can you give me some tips on how to get the code read? are there some DIY guides?
You need a tool to do it. You can't access it via iDrive or the dash or flashing LEDs or anything.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812480
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...ault_Codes.htm

For a one off, probably just best going back to the dealer (or an independent) rather than spending money on a reader unless you think you'll doing this often.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #124
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
You need a tool to do it. You can't access it via iDrive or the dash or flashing LEDs or anything.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812480
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...ault_Codes.htm

For a one off, probably just best going back to the dealer (or an independent) rather than spending money on a reader unless you think you'll doing this often.
Thanks. I found and ordered these laptop one : http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-42580...words=usb+odb2

Might still bring it back to the dealer first tomorrow, feel like too much of a coincidence that those lights pop up right after they looked / worked on it...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #125
OneMoreAlex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

I'm having a problem with this, When i scan for codes i get a soft code for steering angle sensor.

I don't have any lights on the dash or anything indicating that there's something wrong besides the reading hidden code. I recently had my car aligned (indy shop).. is it possible it just needs to be re-calibrated?
      02-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #126
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I found and ordered these laptop one : http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-42580...words=usb+odb2

Might still bring it back to the dealer first tomorrow, feel like too much of a coincidence that those lights pop up right after they looked / worked on it...
Just to give everyone an update - the dealer just have to recalibrate the steering. Looks like it was pure coincidence that the light came up after they looked at the brake...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #127
al330
Rep

Steering Angle Sensor issue?

Sorry to drudge up an old thread but I am having, what I think, is a steering angle sensor problem. I have a 2006 330i and have the follow lights illuminated on my dash: Yellow Brake Light, Stability Control Light, Tire Pressure Light. Also my cruise control will NOT work and my DSC button does not work. This happened after my car was at the dealership getting new transmission software and my battery was severely drained when I got the car back. I already replaced the right rear wheel speed sensor thinking that might be the problem and did not fix the problem. I took the steering wheel off and followed the 'my .02' post and cleaned the disk, that did not fix the problem. I tried to recalibrate using both INPA and DIS but I get an error saying that it cannot communicate with the DSC module. I was then thinking that the DSC module died. So on a day when it had snowed (live in Colorado) I took car out in the snow to test ABS system and the ABS kicks in. Next thing I can think of is to replace the steering angle sensor since cleaning it did not work but that unit brand new is super expensive to replace on a guess. Anybody been able to fix this problem? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #128
bobchuong58
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Long term fix.

I did this My $0.02 Steering angle sensor fix in 06-07-2011, as of today 5/4/2016, it worked like a champ, no warning light since then.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #129
id0mrg
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320d M Sport

Hi All,
I have a November 2009 build (2010 model year) E91 MSport which has the DSC, DBC and FTM error messages. Has anybody been able to do this on a similar age car? I tried following the method described (Many thanks to OP), but couldn't find an optical disc - when I removed what I assume was the clock assembly, and then cover, I found something different. Did I do something wrong, or did BMW change the sensor assembly at some stage?
Most grateful if anyone could shed any light on this.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #130
r1ch138
Rep
Drives: bmw 135

I cleaned the disk but did not Solder since everything looked ok. Did the recalibration (turn full left, turn full right) but still have the lights on. anyone in so cal willing to help out?

Last edited by r1ch138; 10-09-2016 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #131
CashSmoove130
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 328i

Exclamation Steering Wheel Angle Sensor

I Have A 2009 Bmw 328i XDrive. My ABS, DSC, & Yellow Brake Light On, I Got An Wheel Alinement But My Rear Tires Keep Popping. Also, When It Rains My Car Slides Alot & Every Time I Hit A Bump My Car Slides, I Dont Know What It Is. One Mechanic Told Me I Might Need Control Arms & Another Told Me I Need A Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Cause My Steering Wheel Leans To The Right A Little Bit. Honestly I Was Thinking To Change Both Of Them. Where Can I Get A Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Other Than The Dealership ?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 04:32 AM   #132
Mozella
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

I performed this very well written procedure on my 2009 328i without success. My optical disc was absolutely pristine and looked brand new. I did not try re soldering the board since I hope a re-program procedure might fix the Steering Angle Sensor fault problem and I didn't want to ruin the board.

But I learned a few things. Apparently there are two methods to release the air bag fasteners. In one case, you insert a screwdriver into the access hole and use it as a lever. In my case, you insert a screwdriver and use it in a pure push mode directly toward the center of the steering wheel. I'm no Guru so I don't know how to advise anyone which BMW models use which method. Perhaps someone can chime in with year and/or model information.

The second lesson learned has to do with the three little ribbon connectors on the forward side of the circuit board. They are longer than necessary so that you can have enough room to connect them properly. Of course, this excess length has to go somewhere. When you reinstall them, they MUST be fed and retracted into a little slot which leads to a small chamber designed to house and protect the excess ribbon. Otherwise, you will pinch them when you screw down the circuit board. The excess ribbon fan-folds into a little chamber forward of the circuit board. I couldn't get mine to retract properly until I released the clip of this small housing. I didn't remove the ribbon storage chamber, I just released the clip, fed the ribbons into the housing, mounted the board, and re fastened the housing clip.

Bottom line: If you don't carefully stow the ribbon connectors, you may crimp them or they may become disconnected as you fasten down the circuit board. Be careful.

Next step, install a used Steering Angle Sensor and see if that solves my problem.
Appreciate 0