E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Coolant Leak on Connector Pipe (Cylinder Head)

04-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
BMWguy206
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 400E

Coolant Leak on Connector Pipe (Cylinder Head)

Hey guys,

A friend has a 2010 335d and there is a very small coolant leak coming from a plastic connector pipe on the drivers side of the cylinder head right underneath the intake manifold. The dealer said that the intake manifold has to come off to replace it. Has anyone ever replaced this before or know if the manifold has to come off?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

04-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Yes, the manifold will need to come off. It's really not hard to remove though.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
BMWguy206
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
Yes, the manifold will need to come off. It's really not hard to remove though.

Thanks for the info.
      04-15-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
3wis3m3n
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWguy206 View Post
Hey guys,

A friend has a 2010 335d and there is a very small coolant leak coming from a plastic connector pipe on the drivers side of the cylinder head right underneath the intake manifold. The dealer said that the intake manifold has to come off to replace it. Has anyone ever replaced this before or know if the manifold has to come off?

Thanks in advance.

wait, so where is this connector located again ? cis there any way you or your friend can be more specific where exactly this leak is coming from, because i noticed i also have a slight coolant leak but couldn't find where its coming from (at least nothing that i can point out right way by opening the hood)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
BMWguy206
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wis3m3n View Post
wait, so where is this connector located again ? cis there any way you or your friend can be more specific where exactly this leak is coming from, because i noticed i also have a slight coolant leak but couldn't find where its coming from (at least nothing that i can point out right way by opening the hood)
The connector is located on the cylinder head on the drivers side. It's where the upper radiator goes to. The connector is made out of plastic but it also has a profile gasket that goes between the connector and head.

We were able to replace the connector without fully removing the intake manifold. We did have to remove the bolts for the manifold to loosen it up to get better access to the 3 bolts holding it down. We also replaced a leaking heater pipe (located under the EGR cooler), a coolant hose that goes to the transmission cooler and expansion tank, and the expansion tank itself.
      04-15-2018, 11:36 PM   #6
3wis3m3n
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The connector is located on the cylinder head on the drivers side. It's where the upper radiator goes to. The connector is made out of plastic but it also has a profile gasket that goes between the connector and head.

We were able to replace the connector without fully removing the intake manifold. We did have to remove the bolts for the manifold to loosen it up to get better access to the 3 bolts holding it down. We also replaced a leaking heater pipe (located under the EGR cooler), a coolant hose that goes to the transmission cooler and expansion tank, and the expansion tank itself.

ok by looking at the video that torque posted...

the upper radiator hose that your talking about
is it the one thats located right above the oil filter housing ? the connector at the end of that hose that goes into the head right ?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 11:41 PM   #7
BMWguy206
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok by looking at the video that torque posted...

the upper radiator hose that your talking about
is it the one thats located right above the oil filter housing ? the connector at the end of that hose that goes into the head right ?
Yes
      04-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #8
BMWguy206
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update: Ended up replacing the connecting pipe next to the cylinder head, a heater pipe underneath the EGR cooler, a coolant hose, and an expansion tank. Two hundred miles later, the water pump pulley came off and coolant is leaking from the water pump.
Attached Images

04-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #9
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

Woah. I think that’s the first waterpump pulley failure posted here.

Im glad I preventively replaced my pumps. I was beginning to think it was a waste of money/ time until I saw your post.

I hope you get her up and running quick!

Quote:
Update: Ended up replacing the connecting pipe next to the cylinder head, a heater pipe underneath the EGR cooler, a coolant hose, and an expansion tank. Two hundred miles later, the water pump pulley came off and coolant is leaking from the water pump.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #10
3wis3m3n
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dsleeper View Post
Woah. I think that’s the first waterpump pulley failure posted here.

Im glad I preventively replaced my pumps. I was beginning to think it was a waste of money/ time until I saw your post.

I hope you get her up and running quick!

Man, by the looks of that pump, that makes me want to replace mine right now
103k miles still on stock pump. Idk if thats suppose to be good or bad
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #11
BMWguy206
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man, by the looks of that pump, that makes me want to replace mine right now
103k miles still on stock pump. Idk if thats suppose to be good or bad
Vehicle has 100,470 miles.
      09-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #12
thewheelm4n
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Msport

Hey guys, have a leak in the same spot by that plastic junction, problem is its coming from the smaller of the two hoses (not the upper rad hose), but I can't for the life of me find a matching one online, tried typing in the part # off the hose from the car (64219222696-02), nothing came up in google with the -02, without it I get a hose to come up on realoem but when I search google for it, I get a hose that only has one quick connect, however the hose in my car has one on each end. Can anyone tell me where to find this hose, what the part # is? Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QP...zeJETWKJ6Dde7_
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #13
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by afredo View Post
Hey guys, have a leak in the same spot by that plastic junction, problem is its coming from the smaller of the two hoses (not the upper rad hose), but I can't for the life of me find a matching one online, tried typing in the part # off the hose from the car (64219222696-02), nothing came up in google with the -02, without it I get a hose to come up on realoem but when I search google for it, I get a hose that only has one quick connect, however the hose in my car has one on each end. Can anyone tell me where to find this hose, what the part # is? Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QP...zeJETWKJ6Dde7_
I took a look as well and had an issue finding the exact pipe on RealOEM as well. It looks like it leads from the coolant flange to the heater core. When I took a look at the pipe it appears there is a one time use clamp that holds it to the quick disconnect. You could always buy the pipe and a clamp and move the quick disconnect to the new pipe.

If you want to be absolutely sure you get the right part, I'd suggest getting a price quote from the dealer. Theres a good chance the dealer price isnt insanely higher than what youd find online and if you go in-person and show them the pipe, youll have a good excuse not to accept an incorrect pipe should they order the wrong one.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #14
thewheelm4n
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
I took a look as well and had an issue finding the exact pipe on RealOEM as well. It looks like it leads from the coolant flange to the heater core. When I took a look at the pipe it appears there is a one time use clamp that holds it to the quick disconnect. You could always buy the pipe and a clamp and move the quick disconnect to the new pipe.

If you want to be absolutely sure you get the right part, I'd suggest getting a price quote from the dealer. Theres a good chance the dealer price isnt insanely higher than what youd find online and if you go in-person and show them the pipe, youll have a good excuse not to accept an incorrect pipe should they order the wrong one.
I believe the leak is actually at the quick connect itself, not the hose, which is why I need the hose to come as it is on the car, with two new quick connects. I tried the dealer today, spent about 45 min on the phone, sent photos of the hose from the car, best they could come up with was "I guess we can order the one the part # says on the hose you sent the picture of, and if its wrong then idk". *sigh*
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 05:19 AM   #15
335D Alpha Pappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
I believe the leak is actually at the quick connect itself, not the hose, which is why I need the hose to come as it is on the car, with two new quick connects. I tried the dealer today, spent about 45 min on the phone, sent photos of the hose from the car, best they could come up with was "I guess we can order the one the part # says on the hose you sent the picture of, and if its wrong then idk". *sigh*
Take a look at ECSTuning for the upper radiator hose. They have a picture of the hose showing both ends with the quick disconnect.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #16
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335D Alpha Pappa View Post
Take a look at ECSTuning for the upper radiator hose. They have a picture of the hose showing both ends with the quick disconnect.
That's not the hose he needs. The one you linked to is the larger of the two (he needs the smaller one that routes to the firewall, not the front of the car) and it runs coolant to the secondary radiator (located in front of the passenger side wheel) as well as the coolant reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 06:21 AM   #17
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I understand your frustration. I'd push back on the dealer and ask to speak to a manage if their response is "idk". Get yourself an assurance that they will take the part back if its the wrong one. Typically when you buy special order parts (parts that they dont keep in stock on the shelf), they wont accept returns. Hence why Im suggesting you have a manager say theyll take it back if its the wrong one. At the end of they day, the dealer deals with finding the right parts on a daily basis. If they cant help you, either find a different dealer or call BMW of North America and complain (Id also tell the manager that Id be considering this if they were unwilling to help).

Or, you could try ordering from FCP Euro. They have a no hassle return guarantee. If the part does in fact come with only one quick disconnect, then you'll be able to return it and only be out an hour or two of your time and return shipping.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #18
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Just thought of something. How did you determine the issue is with the quick disconnect on the pipe and not an issue with the coolant flange on the block?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #19
thewheelm4n
Private
Rep

Quote:
Just thought of something. How did you determine the issue is with the quick disconnect on the pipe and not an issue with the coolant flange on the block?
I haven't taken the components apart yet as the car is my daily right now and I haven't yet been able to source the correct hose, so the quick connect on the pipe coming from the head being bad is just a hypothesis at this point. It very well could be the pipe itself (that was easy to find), but to be safe I'd rather replace the hose at the same time anyway, however, obviously I would be unable to do that if the hose only came with a quick connect on one side. Luckily I happen to work at a BMW shop (Highline Motorsports Group, LLC.) so was able to order the hose at cost from the dealer and can return it, I just cannot believe they'd change the part to not have one of the quick connects on it. I'll update this as soon as I get the hose.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #20
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I haven't taken the components apart yet as the car is my daily right now and I haven't yet been able to source the correct hose, so the quick connect on the pipe coming from the head being bad is just a hypothesis at this point. It very well could be the pipe itself (that was easy to find), but to be safe I'd rather replace the hose at the same time anyway, however, obviously I would be unable to do that if the hose only came with a quick connect on one side. Luckily I happen to work at a BMW shop (Highline Motorsports Group, LLC.) so was able to order the hose at cost from the dealer and can return it, I just cannot believe they'd change the part to not have one of the quick connects on it. I'll update this as soon as I get the hose.
Ah, I didnt know you were planning on replacing the coolant flange itself as well. Good call. Definitely post an update on what pipe you actually get. I found it interesting that the diagram on RealOEM didnt show your pipe leading to the coolant flange. Instead it showed it leading to a different, unlabeled part (https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_1516).
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #21
thewheelm4n
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I didnt know you were planning on replacing the coolant flange itself as well. Good call. Definitely post an update on what pipe you actually get. I found it interesting that the diagram on RealOEM didnt show your pipe leading to the coolant flange. Instead it showed it leading to a different, unlabeled part (https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_1516).
I noticed that as well, when I was on the phone with BMW they said that part is an auxiliary water pump, which obviously the car does not have as that hose just goes from the firewall right to the connector pipe on the head. Very strange indeed. Will update when I get the hose.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #22
thewheelm4n
Private
Rep

Alright, so the hose I ordered arrived from the dealer this morning, and it has quick connects on both ends! Thank God. However, that's pretty weird considering the diagram discrepency. My hypothesis is something along the lines of, for some reason I bet, against all odds, BMW didn't correctly update the diagram or something to not have that aux water pump in there and instead had the hose going to that when in reality, it just goes right to the head. Either way, hopefully this fixes the leak and I don't have to take the intake off to to do connector pipe too haha!
Appreciate 0