E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Springs only?

02-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
#-JONAS-#
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: E92 320D BLACK

Springs only?

I have been looking at that wheel gap for quite a while now and have found some cheap lowering springs, but will they work with OEM shocks, so I will only change springs. At the moment my car is fitted with the OEM sports suspension and the car is a 320D E92.
Has anyone tried out anything similar/similar brand. I have never heard of Lowtec.

Thinking about these:

Lowering-set Lowtec front/rear 40/25MM

http://www.schmiedmann.com/3_series/...age1.htm#12369
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
phillip@bmpdesign
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Very clean looking car, great pic. Virtually any lower springs will work with your stock struts, only problem is that they will be at a constant state of compression and will compress more and "bottom out" driving the piston into the strut housing. Eventually this will cause your struts to leak or blow out. A sport or heavy duty shock is reinforced to resist this, have less travel inherently, a shorter piston to resist damage from bottoming out and also give a stiffer ride.

Springs will work with your stock struts, but expect new struts in the near future. Something you may consider for an inexpensive solution to springs and struts that is a spring/shock kit from a reputable company. I am not familiar with the brand Lowtec, but I know H&R has springs for a very reasonable price with most vendors and their cup kits are a very comfortable and sporty lowering setup without any hassle.
Like us on facebook!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

springs are ok to use with sport struts they just dont last as long
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Slightly off topic...nice wheels Jonas! Can you tell us what they are? 18" or 19"? Genuine BMW (if so which number?) or replica?
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
#-JONAS-#
Private
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip@bmpdesign View Post
Very clean looking car, great pic. Virtually any lower springs will work with your stock struts, only problem is that they will be at a constant state of compression and will compress more and "bottom out" driving the piston into the strut housing. Eventually this will cause your struts to leak or blow out. A sport or heavy duty shock is reinforced to resist this, have less travel inherently, a shorter piston to resist damage from bottoming out and also give a stiffer ride.

Springs will work with your stock struts, but expect new struts in the near future. Something you may consider for an inexpensive solution to springs and struts that is a spring/shock kit from a reputable company. I am not familiar with the brand Lowtec, but I know H&R has springs for a very reasonable price with most vendors and their cup kits are a very comfortable and sporty lowering setup without any hassle.
Could you give a link to those H&R ones?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #6
#-JONAS-#
Private
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
springs are ok to use with sport struts they just dont last as long
Don't last as long? How long would that be more or less?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
#-JONAS-#
Private
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Slightly off topic...nice wheels Jonas! Can you tell us what they are? 18" or 19"? Genuine BMW (if so which number?) or replica?
Cheers, They're 18" and no they are not genuine, they are M3 replica's with 20MM spacers on the rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-JONAS-# View Post
Don't last as long? How long would that be more or less?
Really all depends on how only your shocks are when the springs are installed, also it depends on the amount of drop the springs offer.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
#-JONAS-#
Private
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
Really all depends on how only your shocks are when the springs are installed, also it depends on the amount of drop the springs offer.
Alright, so I guess I'm gonna do some more research
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Kalidian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi

imo springs only is a bad idea. They're a cheaper option up front but as phillip has stated, they'll wear out your shocks prematurely and you'll need to replace them. And factoring in the cost of the initial install, you'd end up spending about the same amount of money as you would if you had just gone for a good set of coilovers to begin with. It's a really nice, expensive car - don't cut corners and skimp on something as important as the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 02:44 AM   #11
#-JONAS-#
Private
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidian View Post
imo springs only is a bad idea. They're a cheaper option up front but as phillip has stated, they'll wear out your shocks prematurely and you'll need to replace them. And factoring in the cost of the initial install, you'd end up spending about the same amount of money as you would if you had just gone for a good set of coilovers to begin with. It's a really nice, expensive car - don't cut corners and skimp on something as important as the suspension.
The only complete sets I seem to find are expensive ones, could anyone give me a link to some cheaper sets of suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:27 AM   #12
Kalidian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-JONAS-# View Post
The only complete sets I seem to find are expensive ones, could anyone give me a link to some cheaper sets of suspension?
In general, suspension mods done right are pricey. Don't think there's really any way around it.

Spring/shock sets typically go for between $650-850, plus a few hundred for install (unless you diy). To get it done right I haven't seen a much cheaper alternative.

For example:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...-packages.aspx

Obviously try to buy local first to save on shipping but there's a ballpark for reference.

But it's your car and your money - if you really don't want to spend the money and you just want the lowered look now then just get the springs.

But just sayin' - matching spring/shock set or coilover = 100000000000% better in every way (besides the price) than putting springs on stock shocks. The looks + performance is one thing but to me it's also the piece of mind.
Appreciate 0