E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Paging sparkyg or ElCapitan

12-24-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
Esoteric
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

Paging sparkyg or ElCapitan

Sparkyg or ElCapitan,

I saw another post in the ordering section where both of you referenced custom ordering vs. BMW individual...

Could either of you shed some light on what the difference is between custom order (assuming this is something more than ordering a specific vehicle) and individual? Clearly, they allow you to get equipment that you normally can't get with regular packages, but why pick one over the other?

I'm going to be giving my current ride back in May '08, and want to order a 335. I would love to get a unique colour combo, so it sounds like one of these options would help me... but it also sounds like I'll have to order the car yesterday if I want to get it in May!!

Any light you could shed on the process and availability of items would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I am searching the forums as well (that's how I found this post), but the fact that both of you are in Canada means I'll likely get the most pertinent info from you.

Thanks for your help!
      12-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Hey Esoteric,

The Individual gives you a package price for wider trim selections and paint colours. It is about $4k more.

The custom order elcapitan did was for a special for the trim and then special again for the paint. The paint he wanted was not on the individual program so it was really custom. I think he said he found one opther person in Europe with the same paint as his on his car.

The choice really depends on how unique you want to be. There is some $$ to be unique.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW Individual Canada.pdf (178.7 KB, 184 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
Esoteric
Private
Canada
Rep

sparkyg,

Thanks so much for the info! Very helpful. So it appears I can drop a few $$$ to choose from the colour combos listed in the pdf you posted.

I think what I'm really looking for is 'simply' a custom colour on the exterior so that I could consider one of my two favorite BMW colours (Estoril or Techno Violet). It sounds like maybe this is what ElCapitan did?

If that's going to cost a small fortune, or is just not possible, maybe they'd let me put Terra on Alpine White? Unfortunately, they don't allow this combo for the sedans (at least on the site), but at least it's a 'standard' colour, so maybe they'll let me pair them...

One more quick question if you don't mind? How much longer did you have to wait for your individual car (I guess I should say still waiting)?

Thanks again for your help... much appreciated.
      12-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

You can prob. order the the Terra on Alpine white. Talk to the dealer. Just about anything is available besides some of the special M stuff. It just costs some $$. The dealer contacts BMWCA, they contact BMWAG, they see if they can do it and then quote a price back.

Special paint is an easy one, as long as the paint color is still being used. If it is available on the 3 series even better.

The extra wait is about 3-4 wks. If you work with the dealer you'll have it by May.

Just try to find a good dealer to work with.

Last edited by sparkyg; 12-24-2007 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Added details
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Esoteric
Private
Canada
Rep

Nice!

I'll check in with the dealer right after the holiday season in case it's going to take a looong time.

Does anyone have any recommendations for dealers in the T.O. area? I bought my last one at Maranello, but my salesman has left, and it's not exactly convenient. If anyone has a recommendation for a specific salesperson even better!

This is exciting... first choice, Estoril on black, and second choice AW on Terra or Coral... yes I want an aggresive sedan
      12-24-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Esoteric
Private
Canada
Rep

By the way, your Ruby Black is going to look outstanding! I don't have the time or patience to take care of a black car anymore, but if the pictures of Ruby Black are indicative of the colour in real life, it's going to look unreal when it's clean.

Congrats.
      12-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I am a Meguiar's geekhead. No biggie there.

My idea of a day off is to spend 14 hours cleaning my car, love it
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
Esoteric
Private
Canada
Rep

I used to be a Zaino fiend myself, but somehow it's been hard to find those full day opportunities lately.

Are you in the T.O. area?
      12-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

No, I'm in E-town.

I know what you mean about fewer chances for full day opportunites.

Have you tried Budds BMW? T Bone goes there and he says good things.

I not sure where it is. GTA is huge compared to livin' in the prairies.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
SooBoy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i

Garage List
2007 E93 335i  [0.00]
I've had only good experiences at Durham, so far. They're moving from Whitby to Ajax soon, so they'll be bit closer to the core. My M Roadster was bought at Budds, but serviced at Durham for the last half of it's time with me. I had good experiences with both dealers, but I don't work in the west end anymore, so I bought from Durham this time around...
      12-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #11
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xi & 2008 E90 335i

Sorry I got late in this thread. I am not as active during the holidays. sparkyg's posts are spot on. I reply in the other thread you were asking us questions about custom versus Individual.

The hard part is getting the production approved. Be ready to pay $$$ for a custom color. My custom color costs me just over $4000.

You will not be able to get Coral Red in the sedan. It is simply not available. The closest thing would be to swap your interior with a E90 M3 red interior down the road but that would cost a small fortune.

Here are the paint code you were interrested in:

Estoril Blue (335)
Techno Violet (299)

Mine will be Silver Grey (A08)

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
2007 E91 328xi | Black Sapphire | Terra | ALuminium | ZKO | ZKI | ZPL
Past Cars: 2004 ///M3, 2002 E46 330xi, 2003 GTI 1.8T, 1996 Neon
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #12
Esoteric
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the reply ElCapitan.

Ouch, $4K! As much as I love Estoril, I'm not sure I can justify that much additional cost. I was actually not holding out much real hope that I would be able to get coral in the sedan, but secretly I was hoping for a miracle.

Why can't BMW have neat interior colours on the sedan... based on the website, we can't even get Terra

Oh, well, maybe I'll end up with AW or Montego on black, and put the 4K to wheels!

I'll be checking out Budds since I'm in the Western end of T.O. (Etobicoke), and if I don't get pleasant service there, I may make the trek to Waterloo since I've only heard good things about them...
      12-27-2007, 10:36 PM   #13
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Thanks for the reply ElCapitan.

Ouch, $4K! As much as I love Estoril, I'm not sure I can justify that much additional cost. I was actually not holding out much real hope that I would be able to get coral in the sedan, but secretly I was hoping for a miracle.

Why can't BMW have neat interior colours on the sedan... based on the website, we can't even get Terra

Oh, well, maybe I'll end up with AW or Montego on black, and put the 4K to wheels!

I'll be checking out Budds since I'm in the Western end of T.O. (Etobicoke), and if I don't get pleasant service there, I may make the trek to Waterloo since I've only heard good things about them...
I am sure you can Terra with AW.

For wheels may I take the liberty to steer you in this direction:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99564

Much cheaper than 4K for a set of top quality 19" forged and great looking to boot.

If you do join the GB pleas feel free to mention I did refer you to the GB.

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #14
Esoteric
Private
Canada
Rep

Weird that they would allow Terra but not Coral. I remember checking on the website a while ago and being able to get Terra on the sedan, but now that option seems to be gone. Anyway, I'll have a definitive (good dealer) or semi-definitive (average dealer) answer within a week or so when I find time to go shopping.

Thanks for the info on the GB. They are great looking rims (I love the concavity) and am interested, but don't want to jump on it until I've actually ordered the car. Hopefully, the GB will last long enough... when are they closing it?
      12-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #15
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Weird that they would allow Terra but not Coral. I remember checking on the website a while ago and being able to get Terra on the sedan, but now that option seems to be gone. Anyway, I'll have a definitive (good dealer) or semi-definitive (average dealer) answer within a week or so when I find time to go shopping.

Thanks for the info on the GB. They are great looking rims (I love the concavity) and am interested, but don't want to jump on it until I've actually ordered the car. Hopefully, the GB will last long enough... when are they closing it?
Coral is coupe only period. I just noticed that BMW Canada remove the capability to build the Terra/AW combo. I am still sure you can order it through dealer.

The GB is closing Jan 1st hurry ordering your car so you can sign up. Don't forget to mention me and sparkyg if you join in.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #16
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitan View Post
Coral is coupe only period. I just noticed that BMW Canada remove the capability to build the Terra/AW combo. I am still sure you can order it through dealer.

The GB is closing Jan 1st hurry ordering your car so you can sign up. Don't forget to mention me and sparkyg if you join in.
+1 on the Terra special order.

You can get Terra in on the Individual package too.
Appreciate 0