E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > How much do you think I can negotiate?

03-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
klx77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325

How much do you think I can negotiate?

So I'm looking to purchase my first E90, I went to the used car dealership a week ago and inspected a 2006 BMW 330i 6spd with Navi and it was beautiful.

I spoke to the sales manager and he said that the price was firm since they do in house financing so I would have to finance on their terms.
He had told me the APR would be at best 4.9%. My credit is 800+, so I'm not too worried about being approved for financing. Would you guys finance through them and pay a higher list price or go elsewhere?

Also, I spoke to another sales associate, and he had mentioned that they were having a tough time moving the E90 since it was stick. Would you guys factor that into the price?

Link to E90

And this is what it states at the bottom:
Please ask for Michael and be sure mention the AutoTrader Advertising in order to receive the discount listed price(s). Advertised prices are bottom-line for in-house financing only!!! Lot Prices May Vary From Advertised Price(s), be sure to mention advertised price(s)!!! Thank you for shopping with Millennium Imports!

My bottom line question is: How much do you think I can lower the price? It's my first time purchasing through any type of dealer so I'm very new at this. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I dunno.... When I've haggled with dealers in the past, I've used the 15% rule as a minimum starting point.... Depends on how bad they're hurting, and what the terms would be. 4.9 isn't bad.... I'd say you could start your negotiations at $17k and you'll probably get $18k at best.

Never know until you try though....
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
g0at23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09' 335i coupe M-sport

4.9 is not bad for used cars. My cousin got banged for 8.99 19 months ago. I say go new and get warrenty/maintenance + first 2 payments free + 0.9 finance, since u are going with the E90.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
klx77
Enlisted Member
Rep

I thought about going new, but I honestly would not be able to justify spending an additional $15k.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
g0at23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09' 335i coupe M-sport

Trust me... warrenty and maintenance alone is worth it. Your paying 4.9% APR thats like a additional 3K. 0.9 APR is like pennies over the course of a 5 year finance. 2 months free ($1500). You also live in US so you get the tax written off at the end of year with the stimulus plan. Thats another 4K off the car. You would be stupid to go used at this point in time. Just my opinion.

New car = Less headaches
Warrenty + maintenance = ZERO $ out of your pockets
Bad economy = $400 over invoice price
0.9 APR = Lowest rate you are ever going to get for BMW
First 2 payments = $1500 off
Stimulus plan = free tax
The best part is that its a NEW CAR
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
skimmilk20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 6 spd MT

Hey, I'm in the NYC area, I was looking specifically for a MANUAL SILVER e90.

I saw this car like 2 months ago but passed on it...

I just bought a car for 28K out the door. Just FYI - the warranty for this car will be up VERY soon..

My car is CPO'd and I already had a door lock aculator problem...

If your car needs repairs, it will cost you... I would only buy the car if you could get it for... 18K out the door
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
klx77
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys. Yeah I realize that the warranty will expire in September of 2009, however I believe I can extend the warranty with BMW as long as it has not expired yet. That's always an option I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
skimmilk20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

becareful, i went through the EXACT same process...

The reason why I personally passed over the car you're looking at is because I live like 3 miles from that place and see it all the time. You have no idea who just dropped off that car there. That parking lot is full of random cars.

There was a silver 330i, in Paramus NJ I was looking at as well, asking 21K for a car with 14K miles... warranty through November 2009.

I called up several dealerships.. some said an extended warranty can be done, but a majority said no... the reason why is because the extended warranty program is only available to the original owner...

You might want to confirm that, but I was pretty serious about getting the non-cpo'd car at first.

I also checked up on getting a 3rd party warranty since the BMW warranty wasn't available to me. Ask any dealership, the best one is called Fidelity. That is pretty much the only one BMW service center's accept.

and trust me, it will be a nightmare worrying if Fidelity will cover whatever costs you might incur.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
klx77
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks again for the information. I saw first hand that they pick up their cars from Manheim which is an auctioning service based in New Jersey. (My friend buys and sells cars) My friend even told me that BMW purchases their vehicles from Manheim as well and sells them at a higher price by making it a CPO vehicle.

It's a pain in the ass to find the right car, the silver one from millenium has low miles and looks clean which is really what I'm looking for. I guess you could say that I'm trying to ride on the fact that nothing will break. Or if something does break, it'll break prior to my warranty being up. I know how to work on cars so something breaking won't terrify me since there is the possibility of me fixing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
skimmilk20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I mean, look, I ended up getting a car, that was CPO'd for 25.5K (pre tax) and I already had a door lock failure, although I just brought it in and was fixed in 2 days...

I believe you about the auctions, I also did HW on that as well. So what happened with this car in particular? Was it auctioned by BMW?

My cousin just bought a 2008 335i (not a lease) and while he hasn't had any issues with the car, he already told me he's planning on selling it b/c of how expensive it is to maintain...

If you can get a price that is low enough that the costs to repair it are lower or the same as getting a CPO then I guess it's worth it.

Just so you know (i'm assuming your from the Queens / LI area)

BMW of Bayside and Habberstad costs $125 an hour for labor
RALLYE BMW is like $130 an hour for labor

So if for some reason you can't figure out the problem, or aren't familiar with how BMW cars are designed, a 2-hr regular diagnostic will cost $250-260, that's before they figure out the problem or include labor hours fixing the issue.

Sorry for sounding like a broken record, I spent a lot of pain brainpower on figuring out if I should get a cheaper non-CPO car or a CPO car....

You are right tho, the car is cheap and a 330i is a great car, so I guess you should way the pro's and con's.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #11
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx77 View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah I realize that the warranty will expire in September of 2009, however I believe I can extend the warranty with BMW as long as it has not expired yet. That's always an option I suppose.
Only the original owner can get the BMW extended warranty if your car is not a CPO.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #12
skimmilk20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah thats what I said.

Glad we have someone else to confirm
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmilk20 View Post
Sorry for sounding like a broken record, I spent a lot of pain brainpower on figuring out if I should get a cheaper non-CPO car or a CPO car....
You did well. Same sound reasoning that got me a CPO too.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
klx77
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmilk20 View Post
Yeah I mean, look, I ended up getting a car, that was CPO'd for 25.5K (pre tax) and I already had a door lock failure, although I just brought it in and was fixed in 2 days...

I believe you about the auctions, I also did HW on that as well. So what happened with this car in particular? Was it auctioned by BMW?

My cousin just bought a 2008 335i (not a lease) and while he hasn't had any issues with the car, he already told me he's planning on selling it b/c of how expensive it is to maintain...

If you can get a price that is low enough that the costs to repair it are lower or the same as getting a CPO then I guess it's worth it.

Just so you know (i'm assuming your from the Queens / LI area)

BMW of Bayside and Habberstad costs $125 an hour for labor
RALLYE BMW is like $130 an hour for labor

So if for some reason you can't figure out the problem, or aren't familiar with how BMW cars are designed, a 2-hr regular diagnostic will cost $250-260, that's before they figure out the problem or include labor hours fixing the issue.

You are right tho, the car is cheap and a 330i is a great car, so I guess you should way the pro's and con's.
I never even saw it from that perspective. Thanks for the insight, I think I'm just going to keep looking for a while. Don't plan on buying until my tax refund comes back anyway which will give me a few weeks. Thanks again!

I'm assuming you're from Bayside?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #15
skimmilk20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yep, Bayside!

Good luck!

PM me if you have any other questions
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #16
skimmilk20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BTW, if you're looking used...

You might also want to consider a 2007 328i to widen your options, I was looking at 330i's and 328i's, they're very similar in performance, with the 330i being a bit faster, but practically the same...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #17
Perpetrator
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Just go with a CPO. you get the extended warranty, plus 0.9% financing (I think it's still going on). Also, I suggest waiting for an E90 with the sports pkg also.

Good luck either way.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #18
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I dunno.... When I've haggled with dealers in the past, I've used the 15% rule as a minimum starting point.... Depends on how bad they're hurting, and what the terms would be. 4.9 isn't bad.... I'd say you could start your negotiations at $17k and you'll probably get $18k at best.

Never know until you try though....
I agree with you, 20k for a E90 sounds low. But I understand, there is no such thing in the car business as a firm price. The prices on 2k8 M3's were firm for those who wanted to buy them sight unseen. Now they are 11k off if your pulse is 60 or above.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #19
p4junk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Monaco Blue

This deal raises so many questions that i wouldn't consider buying it. I got mine not too long ago - clean, local lease return, CPO.
You need Patience.

And questions.

Like why is it so cheap?
How long has it been on the market - and why hasn't it been sold already?
Why isn't it CPO'd?
Why isn't it being sold through BMWFS where you can get 0.9% for 60 months?
What's the service history look like?
How many owners?

Think about it: The car you're looking at was a top-of-the-line e90. If you've got the guts to consider buying it, please be careful not to all of a sudden think you can cut corners and get a good top-of-the-line luxury car for Mitsubishi Galant prices. Sure, anything is possible, but are you a betting man? There's a very REAL possibility that you end up paying a lot more in other costs.

Sorry for being long-winded, I was in your position not too long ago. Remember, as a first time (prospective) buyer, you're better of buying a brand new Yaris and doing whatever you please with the rest of the money, than buying a BMW and having problems with it - the disappointment, i imagine would be much to bear. I spent alot of time on the BMW site browsing their national CPO inventory - which is how i found my car.
| 6SP MT | Premium Package | Sport Package | Active Steering | Comfort Access | Navigation | Satellite Radio | Logic7 | Heated Front Seats | OEM Blacklines | Matte Black Grilles | Shadowline Trim | BMW Performance Intake | LUX 5.1 { 52,000mls }

Last edited by p4junk; 03-27-2009 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #20
klx77
Enlisted Member
Rep

Once again, thanks for the great info! I'm glad to have found an active forum, my other forum is www.bimmerforums.com which seems to be just as active!

I've been browsing the CPO BMW's and found this one that is somewhat close to me. I will be checking it out during the weekend. Would anyone be able to tell me what type of options/package it has based on a few pictures? Thanks

Sigh. If it were black on black, I would be at the dealer right now taking a look.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #21
p4junk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Monaco Blue

i can see 2 obvious things it doesn't have: navigation & sport package. if you found this through BMW's site, it'd have the options listed.
| 6SP MT | Premium Package | Sport Package | Active Steering | Comfort Access | Navigation | Satellite Radio | Logic7 | Heated Front Seats | OEM Blacklines | Matte Black Grilles | Shadowline Trim | BMW Performance Intake | LUX 5.1 { 52,000mls }
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #22
skimmilk20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I looked at this car as well...

you know Habberstatd also was selling a silver 330i, with 22k miles for like 26K?

They sold that car like 2 months ago, which was when I was looking to buy.

Thankfully I found a better car in the BMW of Edison NJ for even cheaper. (only better in terms of price and time of warranty)

Personally, I really like the black and tan combo. It gives the car a bit more class.
Appreciate 0