E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Do you let your car warm up

06-26-2015, 03:12 AM   #45
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Have faith that BMW have learned something over the years. The car and the technology within it are a lot more advanced than you seem to realise.
If BMW had a better reputation for 'solid' engines, maybe.

BMW engines are not necessarily fragile, but do have weaknesses. The N54 being a prime example.

Many of BMW's decisions are not made for longevity, service intervals being one point of debate. 'Sealed for life' another.

Such failures as the N47 timing chains, is it use, servicing, poor design? Whatever it is, a bit of mechanical sympathy can only be for the good.

When more engines exceed 200,000 miles (even 100,000) without incident, I'll have more faith in BMW's decisions.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 04:02 AM   #46
Rory
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SE 6MT

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0 6MT  [0.00]
2007 335i 6MT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

BMW engines are not necessarily fragile, but do have weaknesses. The N54 being a prime example.

HighlandPete
The reliability is part of the reason I've had 6 bmws and not one of them had any engine problems at all. Not a coil pack or a turbo or anything.

Reading this forum it sounds like I've bought a lemon !
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 04:22 AM   #47
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:

Many of BMW's decisions are not made for longevity, service intervals being one point of debate. 'Sealed for life' another.

Such failures as the N47 timing chains, is it use, servicing, poor design? Whatever it is, a bit of mechanical sympathy can only be for the good.

When more engines exceed 200,000 miles (even 100,000) without incident, I'll have more faith in BMW's decisions.

HighlandPete
Perhaps they idles the car too long?

Only kidding.

Yeah, it's in no retailers interest to sell a product that lasts for life but then they hudwink us with facelift versions until a shiny new version appears. Then we sell a perfectly good car to get the latest new features by our own accord.

I used to wonder about blipping the throttle before turning off the car. It was recommended not to do this with a turbocharged car as you don't want to spin up the turbo right at the point where oil supply is cut. On old carburetor equipped cars a bit of priming the cylinders for the next time the car starts was theoretically useful.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 06:19 AM   #48
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory View Post
The reliability is part of the reason I've had 6 bmws and not one of them had any engine problems at all. Not a coil pack or a turbo or anything.

Reading this forum it sounds like I've bought a lemon !
I wouldn't view the N54 engine as a lemon. I would have run one if I had found a well spec'd example of an E91 335i. Currently it appears the N55 is a more reliable engine, time will tell.

BTW, has your 335i had any of the well known issues in its history? I note in your other topic (on the car) it was located in Fort Willian, can't say I'd seen it about. Then with its mileage I guess it wasn't out too much.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 07:13 AM   #49
Rory
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SE 6MT

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0 6MT  [0.00]
2007 335i 6MT  [0.00]
Quote:
I wouldn't view the N54 engine as a lemon. I would have run one if I had found a well spec'd example of an E91 335i. Currently it appears the N55 is a more reliable engine, time will tell.

BTW, has your 335i had any of the well known issues in its history? I note in your other topic (on the car) it was located in Fort Willian, can't say I'd seen it about. Then with its mileage I guess it wasn't out too much.

HighlandPete
It's had an abs ecu , but I haven't seen any other issues in the history as yet.

I'm considering making this the first car I've ever had a warranty on. I'd be annoyed if I spent £500 a year for nothing though.
Appreciate 0