E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Price difference between CPO and extending Ultimate Warranty?

03-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Price difference between CPO and extending Ultimate Warranty?

Hey resident CA's. What is the price difference between having a car CPO'd or extending the Ultimate Warranty? What are the major warranty differences?

I'm coming to the point and about to look to buyout my lease. I would also like to re-up the warranty. The standard 4 year/50k warranty is considered the Ultimate Warranty. I read on line that original owners of the car can extend the original warranty. Do people do this? Or is the price way too high to even really consider it?

Also, when talking buyout with my dealer. Is the CPO or Ultimate warranty price negotiable? I would assume this is but just want to hear from other people incase they try to strong arm me on the price.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
no one has any info on this?

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
well, as a prior e90 325i ex-owner, Ive check into the possibility of extending both service and manufacturer warranty on it last year when it had 48k miles. The cost is significant I found at about $1600 for extra 2yr/100k of BMW service contract and another 3.5 grand for BMW 2yr/100k warranty that will not include iNav. Most dealers wuold rather sell you a third party warranty since its cheaper and they make the most buck plus can cover some electronics.
For the 4-5k investment, wasnt worth it for me, since after all these things I will end up with an old car.
I traded the car for a 09 Green Car instead.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I am in the same situation as you. I will probably buy my lease out. I am also in Ohio. My dealer says that you can not CPO your own leased car in Ohio. So they would need to buy it then mark it up to sell it back to me with the cost to run it through the shop for inspection for about 400 bucks on top of that and the cost of the CPO warranty which is about 1300 bucks. Or I can just buy the extended warranty for less than 2k. So CPO is worthless to me since the cost is about the same no matter what. My dealer is no longer even CPOing used cars due to the cost to due so.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
I am in the same situation as you. I will probably buy my lease out. I am also in Ohio. My dealer says that you can not CPO your own leased car in Ohio. So they would need to buy it then mark it up to sell it back to me with the cost to run it through the shop for inspection for about 400 bucks on top of that and the cost of the CPO warranty which is about 1300 bucks. Or I can just buy the extended warranty for less than 2k. So CPO is worthless to me since the cost is about the same no matter what. My dealer is no longer even CPOing used cars due to the cost to due so.
Wow your dealer is jacked. Did they actually say what I bolded? My dealer has up front told me they will have to buy the car back from BMWNA, which will be at a lower rate then was on my lease contract and in turn will turn most of the saving over to me. They also are more then happy to CPO the car if I wish to do so, but we haven't talked pricing on this yet. Which is why I asked the question here.

You should contact David Theado at Ganley BMW up here in Cleveland. He is even a member on here, his sn is dbtheo. Call him up or PM him the last 7 digits of the cars vin and what mileage you have on the car. He'll get you a buyout out figure and then advise when will be the best time to buyout. They checked for me, my lease ends in August. As of now it's not right yet, but in 1-2 more months I should get a major drop off the contract price.

Even if you don't want to drive to Cleveland for the process the harm in calling and getting numbers from another dealer to go back to your dealer with should get them to be a little nicer to deal with if they think you'll be taking your business elsewhere.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I know all about dynamic payoffs and how they work. This is my 3rd leased BMW. My dealer takes care of me. They only mark it up a couple hundred bucks. It's running a 9k mile car through the shop to CPO it and submit the paperwork to BMW that is a waste of money. I will probably just do the extended BMW warranty anyways since my car is modded and not CPOable due to the mods and I am not going to return it back to stock and then put my mods back on.
Appreciate 0