E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Retrofit: E90 335i with iDrive, Phone prep, Voice control, and USB

07-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #199
kenmasters
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Don't think so, no.
Not sure why I don't have a MULF when I have all the options except for USB. I have voice commands, NAV, Prep for the phone, etc. Could it be integrated somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #200
kenmasters
Private
Rep

Does anyone have the MULF Part No. that would work on a US/CDN 2007 e92 ?

thanks,
K
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #201
toadstone
Rep
Drives: 320Li & polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmasters View Post
Does anyone have the MULF Part No. that would work on a US/CDN 2007 e92 ?

thanks,
K

9207360/9229740 with usb funtion and basic SVS.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #202
kenmasters
Private
Rep

Thanks Toad... for questions like mine, I will refer to the dealership (may not know everything) and bimmer retrofit places.

Why buy a MULF when you can get a combox retrofit that gives you even more.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #203
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

If your car came factory built with iDrive. It makes more sense that way. Most of the parts are already in place but For cars that didn't have iDrive from the factory; Price wise, it is quite the turn off.
      07-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #204
Jpropri
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d - Sport pkg

Chassis Faulty error

Ok - I'm back. I bought the $99 cable from one-stop-electronics. I have NCS Expert and have updated DATEN e89 files to version 39 or 40 (don't recall). INPA registers - ignition on and battery on. But when I choose the chassis (e89) I get a chassis faulty error. I've searched forums and google and the only solution led to ensuring I had the latest DATEN files. Any of you experience this?

Can anyone point me to a newer version of NCS Expert? I am using a version that came with the original cheap cable I bought off of eBay. I originally thought the cable was faulty - hence buying the one-stop cable, but issue remains.

One other question - is the light on the cable supposed to stay on the whole time (when plugged in)? My cable has a red light on it - it comes on when plugged in; however it shuts off after about 3-5 minutes.

Any direction is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #205
ZJS335i
Private
Rep
Drives: black e90 335i

Hey so has anyone else had any problems switching the wires from the fusbox? I can't seem to get the black and yellow and clear wire out of the male connector?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #206
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJS335i View Post
Hey so has anyone else had any problems switching the wires from the fusbox? I can't seem to get the black and yellow and clear wire out of the male connector?
Yes figured this out last night after I broke one of the wires.

Both connectors has flaps that acts as clips to hold the wires in place when snapped in. Use a very small flat head screw driver and pry up from the middle and it should flip up. Both connectors has these two flaps on either side. Flip them up, use same screw driver to push at the wire you'd like to remove and it should slide out easily. When finished just replace flaps by pushing them back to original position until you feel/hear a clip. Test mic b4 putting everything back in place.

Thank you to OP and everyone who helped with all of this.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #207
karol_
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Maybe someone will be happy with my manual

I wrote a short manual about my installation. Maybe someone be happy with that.

Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW E90 Bluetooth Manual by M4J0.pdf (5.35 MB, 2429 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #208
R3volut1on
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i ( E90 )

Smile Bluetooth retrofit fiber optic diagram

( e90 07 335i with navigation ) After days of trying to retrofit finally mapped the diagram to some of the fiber optic wiring . You might need this when retrofitting.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #209
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

So I have the prep wires for phone and currently have voice control. Given the large connector I have is white and not blue - can anyone confirm this will still work if I buy the MULF2?

Here is a pic of the wires I have:

Also will this allow for streaming BT audio as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #210
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 MW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazd View Post
Hey Cbozz, the Bluetooth antenna cable is the one with the purple connector, written in the guide as "black and purple FAKRA connector" (sorry for lack of pictures on that step).

If you don't have the purple connector, then I'm afraid your car is not wired and you must wire it yourself (leaving the antenna in the trunk). If you do have the purple connector, take a photo of it plugged in and I'll add it to the original post.

Thanks, and good luck!
Hey lazd OK I have the phone prep option on my car with voice control.. I did the retrofit myself and everything works except the mic I hear them but they can't hear me. I've read your post about how to do it but I still can't seem to figure it out?? I have no idea why? Any extra help from your end would be awesome maybe a Lil more detailed? Please thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #211
lazd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerkiraios00 View Post
Hey lazd OK I have the phone prep option on my car with voice control.. I did the retrofit myself and everything works except the mic I hear them but they can't hear me. I've read your post about how to do it but I still can't seem to figure it out?? I have no idea why? Any extra help from your end would be awesome maybe a Lil more detailed? Please thanks
Hey there,
I was in the same situation until I switched the pins behind the glovebox. Make sure you've done that, as well as switched the pins in the connector in the trunk. The instructions for this are in the guide, so go through and verify you did it correctly.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #212
gazosnic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerkiraios00 View Post
Did you have MULF already? I also have phone prep and voice... but I dont have a MULF. Wanted to know if i can just buy the mulf and use the phone prep wires i have (White block)?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #213
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
Did you have MULF already? I also have phone prep and voice... but I dont have a MULF. Wanted to know if i can just buy the mulf and use the phone prep wires i have (White block)?
The White Connector will not work with the mulf unit. You would need a Blue 54 pin connector. p/n 61136920074

Just have to take the black and grey connectors out of the White casing replace them in the blue connector cap.

Also, the mulf2 does not provide bluetooth streaming.. Just phone calling capabilities.

Last edited by PichaDis11; 12-07-2013 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #214
gazosnic
Major
Rep

PichaDis11 - thank you very much. first real answer i received thus far. I assume then the wires will work... or do they need to be re-pinned as well?

Also would the wires from the white block work for combox if i did the same thing to replace pins to the combox (black) connector? that way to get BT streaming as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
The White Connector will not work with the mulf unit. You would need a Blue 54 pin connector. p/n 61136920074

Just have to take the black and grey connectors out of the White casing replace them in the blue connector cap.

Also, the mulf2 does not provide bluetooth streaming.. Just phone calling capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #215
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PichaDis11 - thank you very much. first real answer i received thus far. I assume then the wires will work... or do they need to be re-pinned as well?

Also would the wires from the white block work for combox if i did the same thing to replace pins to the combox (black) connector? that way to get BT streaming as well?
No problem and your welcome. The wires do not need to be re-pinned to have the mulf2 working. Only repins would be the mic wiring if you have similar iDrive setup such as noted by OP in this thread. When I did the retrofit I did have to re-pin the white connector below the fuse box to get the mic functional.

Re-pinning would be needed for a combox retrofit to another new connector for the combox. I think that is a 26 pin connector. This is however only for idrive vehicles. The combox unit does not work with non-iDrive cars. Though I am not sure of the options installed to your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #216
gazosnic
Major
Rep

Thanks. I do have the CIC which i just retrofitted. Sounds like adding the MULF will at least give me phone and USB. The combox itself isnt much more, but sounds like it could be a bit more of a headache to get working. Unless I can find the pin outs from my white connector to the 26 pin.

I do have voice and phone prep, so hopefully most of the mic wiring is already in place. What i gathered is that i still would need the BT antennae and repin below the fuse box as you mentioned.

Any additional / thoughts / suggestions on which route to go are appreciated.

Quote:
No problem and your welcome. The wires do not need to be re-pinned to have the mulf2 working. Only repins would be the mic wiring if you have similar iDrive setup such as noted by OP in this thread. When I did the retrofit I did have to re-pin the white connector below the fuse box to get the mic functional.

Re-pinning would be needed for a combox retrofit to another new connector for the combox. I think that is a 26 pin connector. This is however only for idrive vehicles. The combox unit does not work with non-iDrive cars. Though I am not sure of the options installed to your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #217
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Thanks. I do have the CIC which i just retrofitted. Sounds like adding the MULF will at least give me phone and USB. The combox itself isnt much more, but sounds like it could be a bit more of a headache to get working. Unless I can find the pin outs from my white connector to the 26 pin.

I do have voice and phone prep, so hopefully most of the mic wiring is already in place. What i gathered is that i still would need the BT antennae and repin below the fuse box as you mentioned.

Any additional / thoughts / suggestions on which route to go are appreciated.
Mulf2 Will def give you and USB hands down and is the cheapest option here. The combox like you said the unit isn't that much more off, BUT coding the unit gets expensive right away. I think to get the unit operable would require an FSC code(s) and I assume that woudn't be the issue since you had the CIC retrofitted.

Since you do have phone prep all wiring is already in place mic etc. Only wiring that is not there is for the USB side of things. Also I see you have an M3. USB wiring is easier to get to the center console in the E92/3 than the E90 platform. You are correct on the bt antenna and re-pinning. I have p/n of most things if needed. Lastly to have the aux port working you would need to have a cable built to connect to the mulf2 unit as the cable isn't sold anywhere. With some diy skills; you could do this youself imo.

Which route to go? BT streaming is awesome so I would jump on getting the combox if money isn't an issue. Also I believe the combox offer the 6NR connected drive option so there is an added plus(ties with that fsc code thingy agan) Bit of an headache yea but it can be done. the only thing to think of is were any wires remapped to have the cic retrofitted? Which I doubt. However you could achieve BT streaming with the MULF2 retrofit and addition of an Apple TV device if you are into apple products. Haven't done that but I've heard the audio quality is great too. Way cheaper than the Combox but the downside might be the analog aux port the the apple tv feeds the audio to.

Here to help if needed and sorry for this essay of a post.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #218
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 MW M3

Quote:
No I haven't reprinted any wires yet bc I'm having trouble finding which wires need repinning I'll go through it again I guess thanks
2018 F80 M3 ZCP Mineral White- Extended Shakir Orange - Full Suntek Ultra Wrapped - ///M Performance Spoiler - RKP Front Lip - RKP Side Skirts - Vorsteiner GTS Diffuser -AA Mid-Pipe-///M performance HAS kit - HRE P101

11 E90 M3 JEREZ BLK METALLIC ZCP SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #219
gazosnic
Major
Rep

Thanks PichaDis11 - I think i am going to go the MULF2 route. Would you happen to have the part Num for the blue connector? Would be great if you had the pin outs as well.

Also regarding the aux, why would i lose that if i have aux working today? Any more insight on this is appreciated as well..

Thanks again for all your help!

Quote:
Mulf2 Will def give you and USB hands down and is the cheapest option here. The combox like you said the unit isn't that much more off, BUT coding the unit gets expensive right away. I think to get the unit operable would require an FSC code(s) and I assume that woudn't be the issue since you had the CIC retrofitted.

Since you do have phone prep all wiring is already in place mic etc. Only wiring that is not there is for the USB side of things. Also I see you have an M3. USB wiring is easier to get to the center console in the E92/3 than the E90 platform. You are correct on the bt antenna and re-pinning. I have p/n of most things if needed. Lastly to have the aux port working you would need to have a cable built to connect to the mulf2 unit as the cable isn't sold anywhere. With some diy skills; you could do this youself imo.

Which route to go? BT streaming is awesome so I would jump on getting the combox if money isn't an issue. Also I believe the combox offer the 6NR connected drive option so there is an added plus(ties with that fsc code thingy agan) Bit of an headache yea but it can be done. the only thing to think of is were any wires remapped to have the cic retrofitted? Which I doubt. However you could achieve BT streaming with the MULF2 retrofit and addition of an Apple TV device if you are into apple products. Haven't done that but I've heard the audio quality is great too. Way cheaper than the Combox but the downside might be the analog aux port the the apple tv feeds the audio to.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #220
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic
Thanks PichaDis11 - I think i am going to go the MULF2 route. Would you happen to have the part Num for the blue connector? Would be great if you had the pin outs as well.

Also regarding the aux, why would i lose that if i have aux working today? Any more insight on this is appreciated as well..

Thanks again for all your help!

Quote:

I had posted the p/n for the connector couple posts above. The pin outs I have are not full diagram wire only to re-pin mic & Aux wiring. Your head unit now is what I believe handles the aux. When the mulf2 is added this unit now takes over the aux input and carries it back to the head unit via MOST. This is what happened when I did the install on my car. Even though I do not have the iDrive system; I suspect the same for your car as well.