E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Bogus Notice of Intended Prosecution

08-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #67
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Oh my. This seems to be the new way of scamming. Ins co's got wise to the rear Enders at roundabouts so now doing this
      08-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #68
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Fackin slaaag!

If she couldn't stop how did she get your reg plate?
      08-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #69
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Sounds like shit just got real to me.

If she has filed a claim, I would find out what details you can from the insurance company and refute any claim to begin with.

After that - who knows. Could you perhaps contact the police and report the fact that she is potentially attempting to scam her insurance company/you?

Matt
My instinct is telling me to do as you suggest & contact LV to find out the facts, on the other hand will this constitute me reporting the incident, even though it never happened?

During my lengthy telephone conversation with the policeman this morning, he told me that the police weren't interested in getting involved now that they'd satisfied themselves that we are both insured, he did however tell me that he would be noting on the report that there is no evidence to substantiate the woman's claim. What happens now seems to be in the lap of the gods!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #70
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
How can she make a claim against you, unless the cops gave her your registration number and your insurance company?

If they didn't and she doesn't have any of your details, why even mention it to your insurance company, - after all, nothing happened.

And if the cops did give her your information, what the hell are they playing at?!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #71
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
How can she make a claim against you, unless the cops gave her your registration number and your insurance company?

If they didn't and she doesn't have any of your details, why even mention it to your insurance company, - after all, nothing happened.

And if the cops did give her your information, what the hell are they playing at?!
Cheers AlanQS, that's a very good point. When I first spoke to the police they told me that my number plate had been picked up by anpr as being within the vicinity, within 2 minutes of the accident. The police must have given her my details then, which is surely against data protection, not least because these is no direct link between my car & the alleged accident, I was just unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the right time
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #72
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

All very odd.

You might find that she is only claiming £250 just now and if/when your insurance accept liability she will suddenly develop a sore back.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #73
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
The police must have given her my details then, which is surely against data protection, not least because these is no direct link between my car & the alleged accident, I was just unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the right time
If they did then lodge a formal complaint.

Of course it could just be bull from the officer you talked to. I have noticed over the years that some officers like to "worry" people just for kicks with complete and utter tripe.
      08-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #74
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
My instinct is telling me to do as you suggest & contact LV to find out the facts, on the other hand will this constitute me reporting the incident, even though it never happened?

During my lengthy telephone conversation with the policeman this morning, he told me that the police weren't interested in getting involved now that they'd satisfied themselves that we are both insured, he did however tell me that he would be noting on the report that there is no evidence to substantiate the woman's claim. What happens now seems to be in the lap of the gods!
I'd write back to the Police (where the NIP originated from) confirming what was discussed during the course of your phone conversation,in particular the following:

"he did however tell me that he would be noting on the report that there is no evidence to substantiate the woman's claim"

I'd also be asking for a copy of the report (mentioned above).

If you do get a response,it should confirm what you stated to the Police,if you don't get a response,they are clearly not disputing what you've stated in the letter.

Should the woman then claim against you,you have the evidence to dispute her claim.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #75
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I don't think the data protection act applies here - anyone can ask for registered keepers' details from the DVLA and they'll provide it for a fiver a time.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #76
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
I don't think the data protection act applies here - anyone can ask for registered keepers' details from the DVLA and they'll provide it for a fiver a time.
There's the difference.

You can request this information from the DVLA by filling in a form. On said form you need to provide a legitimate reason for requesting these details and then pay the fee.

The DVLA can (and do) refuse to provide the details if there is not a solid case behind the request. Speculative requests will not be successful.

But that's the DVLA and not the Police who should only hand out 3rd party details where there is a clear and proven requirement.

The OP might want to think about putting in an FOI request for the case file seeing that he has been told that he is included in it and see what trees that shakes.
      08-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #77
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

The police should not be giving people's personal details out, with or without their express permission.

If this has happened, it should not have.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #78
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
But the only place she could've got my registration number for a DVLA enquiry is from the police themselves.

I was told when I first called them 2 weeks ago that my number had come up on anpr as being in the vicinity within 2 minutes of the accident and during yesterday's call I was told that the woman didn't stop at the scene. I'm sure if she had reported my registration number as the car involved they would've told me.

I've now taken a full set of detailed photos of the front of my car as proof that there is categorically no damage other than the odd stone chip & squashed fly, and certaily nothing that could be interpreted as a collision.

I'm still loathed to contact my insurers as I wasn't involved in any incident, does anyone have any insight as to what the Insurance companys stance will be on this? Are they more likely to suport what I say or just take the easy way out & hand her £250 & charge me - my excess is more than that anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #79
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you Sir_Pigley for your less than constructive criticism however, if you'd taken the time to read the thread properly you would have noted that I had done precisely that 2 weeks ago.

On the contrary, I think there's every likelihood that it did happen, just that it wasn't my black BMW that was involved, although proving a negative is not always that "simples"

You may call it a hissy fit whereas I would say it's a reasonable & understandable reaction to an unreasonably officious letter. Again, if you'd read, and inwardly digested the complete thread you would have seen that there is flexibility in the wording that can be used, so a letter with much more appropriate wording could & should have been sent, particularly bearing in mind the circumstances & available evidence.

Again, done & dusted 2 weeks ago, but thank you for your words of wisdom never the less.
IanS100: My outburst was not really aimed at you specifically - more at the general tone of the developing thread. Apologies if it came across as personal criticism - it wasn't meant to be.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #80
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I'm still loathed to contact my insurers as I wasn't involved in any incident, does anyone have any insight as to what the Insurance companys stance will be on this? Are they more likely to suport what I say or just take the easy way out & hand her £250 & charge me - my excess is more than that anyway.
They won't pay out without seeking your account of the incident. Because of that I would sit tight and wait to see what happens next.

I got a letter a while ago from someone (DVLA or an insurance company's legal department) following an allegation that my car was involved in an accident. The car had been sitting on my driveway at the time. The other person had some erroneous information concerning the alleged driver so it never really had any credibility.

I was told it was part of some elaborate attempted fraud by my insurance broker, but I never got to the bottom to what it was really all about.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #81
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Ian; why say anything to your insurance company. Nothing has happened. Contact them and all you will raise is the "no smoke without fire" syndrome.

Mart, what should Ian's next move be, if the police did give out his details to the alleged victim of an accident caused by a person unknown.

It seems clear that if the insurance company does get involved, he will need some paperwork to back up his denial of responsibility and if I was Ian, I wouldn't accept anything less than total victory because this is the thin edge of the wedge.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #82
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pigley View Post
IanS100: My outburst was not really aimed at you specifically - more at the general tone of the developing thread. Apologies if it came across as personal criticism - it wasn't meant to be.
Cheers, no problem & no offence taken
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #83
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pigley View Post
They won't pay out without seeking your account of the incident. Because of that I would sit tight and wait to see what happens next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
Ian; why say anything to your insurance company. Nothing has happened. Contact them and all you will raise is the "no smoke without fire" syndrome.
Good advice I think, particularly as it's now almost 3 weeks since I received the NIP & almost 4 weeks since the "alleged" incident & the only people that have been in touch are the police, & they're not interested!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #84
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Yep. Don't speak to the insurance company until they approach you. You are obligated to inform them of any incident, but as there wasn't one, you are under no obligation.

As soon as you speak to them, that will flag an incident and you will immediately loose any NCD for that year at least, more if you are unprotected, and you will have to declare it in all quotes for the next 5 years. At least until its sorted out. But even then, you may have to declare it in future quotes.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #85
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
Yep. Don't speak to the insurance company until they approach you. You are obligated to inform them of any incident, but as there wasn't one, you are under no obligation.

As soon as you speak to them, that will flag an incident and you will immediately loose any NCD for that year at least, more if you are unprotected, and you will have to declare it in all quotes for the next 5 years. At least until its sorted out. But even then, you may have to declare it in future quotes.
I'm not really sure what I'd say anyway, "I'd like to report an incident that I had nothing to do with", filling out the report form & drawing a map of the non-incident would be quite a challenge too
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #86
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Mate if it's a dodgy claim then she would have seen your VRM before and decided exactly what she was doing ('she' would not be acting alone). It would have been planned, and your car was there at the right time. All she would have done was report it to police to try and add substance to it.

I very much doubt the police would have given her the details, in fact I'd almost guarantee it. She already knew it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 05:07 AM   #87
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1000 View Post
Mate if it's a dodgy claim then she would have seen your VRM before and decided exactly what she was doing ('she' would not be acting alone). It would have been planned, and your car was there at the right time. All she would have done was report it to police to try and add substance to it.
Cheers Mart, from what I was told, my VRM came solely from ANPR, which, I assume, was fitted to the parked traffic car. The woman claims not to have stopped at the scene due to traffic, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1000 View Post

I very much doubt the police would have given her the details, in fact I'd almost guarantee it. She already knew it.
They certainly haven't supplied me with her details, I have no idea who she is, where she lives or anything about the make/colour/VRM of her car
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #88
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

It's now 4 weeks since the alledged incident & today I had a call from LV Insurance asking for details of the "accident". I reiterated that I had not been involved etc etc & that my only connection is that I happened to pass an ANPR at a similar time. The only place that my details could've come from is the police
Appreciate 0