E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Porsche 997 GT3 Calipers + Custom Caliper brackets???

Closed Thread

12-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
E90 ANdy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E90 325i sport + idrive

Garage List
Porsche 997 GT3 Calipers + Custom Caliper brackets???

So, i've been looking into a BBK and I was wondering.. are all the Caliper mounting holes the same? Or do all calipers have different mounting points? For example.. a Porsche Brembo caliper for a 380mm rotor, Does that mean that the mounting holes (where the bracket goes) the same height for a 380mm Alcon caliper? Because im looking to get a machine shop manufacture a custom bracket for my E90, i want to be able to sell this bracket so that anyone with a spare set of Brembo or BBK calipers can mount them on their cars. Of course you will need different rotors which u can do from any BBK manufacturer. Also, does the width of the mounting holes, on the caliper, differ with EACH BBK caliper?

Im pretty sure there are different mounting points, but does that mean all calipers are different? interms of the bracket? Are all 380mm rotor BREMBO calipers different? or are the mounting points the same so you can use the same adapter bracket for MOST the Brembo calipers? (assuming they're from the same diameter rotor)

I am aware that some calipers have a side mounting point and some calipers have a top mounting point.. Most of the BBK i've seen use the Top mounting points, but does that mean it'd be easier to use a Porsche caliper with a side mounthing point? Any info would be appreciated
Attached Images

Last edited by E90 ANdy; 12-23-2008 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

I've always thought the biggest problem in trying to save money buy putting together your own parts are that

1) brake bias, they vary from car to car, specific brakes are made for specific cars. IE evo calipers wont work on a 335, nor will they work for a honda civic

2) weight, cars weigh differently, therefore is it possible weight can have an impact on how brakes are engineered?

Afterall these are brakes we're talking about, a hack job wont cut it as it can be very dangerous. Although I understand people skimping on fake body mods and wheels, this one I'd be much more apprehensive about...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
E90 ANdy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E90 325i sport + idrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjafari View Post
I've always thought the biggest problem in trying to save money buy putting together your own parts are that

1) brake bias, they vary from car to car, specific brakes are made for specific cars. IE evo calipers wont work on a 335, nor will they work for a honda civic

2) weight, cars weigh differently, therefore is it possible weight can have an impact on how brakes are engineered?

Afterall these are brakes we're talking about, a hack job wont cut it as it can be very dangerous. Although I understand people skimping on fake body mods and wheels, this one I'd be much more apprehensive about...

Brake bias? okay, i guess no one should invest in a BBK because its not factory spec and will cause brake bias. Of course weight has an impact on a car's brake system. The heavier the car, Or the more energy the car has while in movement the bigger the brakes needed to slow and stop it. Okay, so if our car is lighter and we have the same brakes as a heavier car, our car will stop faster. (assuming u have better tires also)

Brakes are customizable just like any other engine part, you have a variety of brake rotor sizes and different manufacturer with different caliper setups. Its only dangerous if you dont do it right. but If you think about it, all the race cars use custom made parts, not that factory spec stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Those factory brembo brakes you see on EVOs, STi, 350z, CTS-V's use off-the-shelf calipers with very little customization for each car. If you size your parts properly, you won't have any problem with brake bias. And even then, you can adjust bias with different pad compounds (or rotor sizes) to fine tune braking performance. Or you can install a brake bias adjuster (but that is a bit more work).

I've got some wilwood 4 pot calipers and brackets to fit onto my honda. I drove the same setup on another car (same as mine) and the braking improvement was huge. I could get the caliper model and some dimensions on the mounting holes if you were interested. Though these calipers might be a bit small for a 3,000+ lbs car (my honda is less than 2,200 lbs).
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 02:24 AM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

This may not be an area on the car you want to do DIY and trying to make it work.

It's one thing when your car quits running, but it's another when you can't stop!

Adjusting brake bias with brake pad compound? It's like using band aid on a cut that requires stitching!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 02:54 AM   #6
SoQuick
Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing now

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
2001 S8  [0.00]
+1

/thread closed
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
This may not be an area on the car you want to do DIY and trying to make it work.

It's one thing when your car quits running, but it's another when you can't stop!

Adjusting brake bias with brake pad compound? It's like using band aid on a cut that requires stitching!
I wouldn't recommend piecing together a brake kit. This is one area you don't want to just "save money". If you can't stop, you're in big time trouble. These systems are designed specifically for each car and tested.
What type of metal analysis and sheer force calculations are you going to do on your bracket?
Go to Stoptech.com and read all the details having to do with design and testing.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 12:52 AM   #8
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
it's actually very common on race cars to use different compounds for front and rear, depending on the car setup. When you get into the the brembo/wilwood/stoptec type of calipers, they use off the shelf racing pads which are usually cheaper than a specialized pad for a production car. You can get 4 or 5 different compounds for each caliper model, each one with a slightly different friction coefficient, for exactly this purpose.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
alan93rsa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Crimson Red/Black

Quote:
it's actually very common on race cars to use different compounds for front and rear, depending on the car setup. When you get into the the brembo/wilwood/stoptec type of calipers, they use off the shelf racing pads which are usually cheaper than a specialized pad for a production car. You can get 4 or 5 different compounds for each caliper model, each one with a slightly different friction coefficient, for exactly this purpose.
If you want to or have to run the stock calipers about the only way to adjust the bias is with a different rear pad. On Porsches I used to go through 2 sets of fronts for every set of rears.

As with anything is always possible to screw it up.