E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MOST loop connection when replacing OEM HU with Aftermarket for L7 system

11-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MPPSK

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
MOST loop connection when replacing OEM HU with Aftermarket for L7 system

Hello,

I have searched and it appears that there is no specific answer to my question.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have a logic 7 system.

I initially wanted to recode HU to HIFI and replace logic 7 amp with MS-8.

For reasons unknown (also difficult to search for answer) I was not able to read 2URAD module to recode my Prof HU.

Therefore, I have decided to relocated my OEM HU to the trunk while REPLACING oem L7 amp with MS-8.

Now the questions:

1. MOST loop terminator: Initially I bought this to put it in place where the OEM L7 connects as shown in Technic's post:

But since I will be relocating my OEM to the trunk, I was going to use the trunk optical extension to connect it. For the simplicity of wiring, can I connect the MOST loop in place where the OEM HU was in the dash? So instead of running the optical wires from the dash to the trunk:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=319976&page=4

Can I place the MOST loop in the dash 2 optical wiring after I remove it from the harness, and use the optics in the trunk to connect the OEM HU?

2. OEM Bluetooth, USB: I don't have idrive, but I have these. I understand that these are connected as MOST connection. Will these be retained?

3. Vehicle programming, SOS: Will these be functional?

4. Door chimes: I believe technic said that the chimes are signaled by the OEM L7 amp, so I will be losing the chimes, correct?

Thank you for your inputs.

Edit: I plan to use connects2 harness for steering wheel controls and ISO connection to the Aftermarket HU.

Last edited by hoonywise; 11-18-2013 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Without Hifi recode, I believe the only two options to retain BT chimes etc. is to use a Mobridge DA2 or you keep the L7 amp and feed the MS-8 with the high level OEM amp outputs..

But since you want to relocate the HU that means you want to install an aftermarket one, right? In that case I am not sure you will be able to do that unless you get one that can interface with MOST devices.
      11-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The BMW Head Unit is the server controller for Most

The BMW Head Unit is the server controller for Most.
If you remove it you remove the HU you are effectively removing
the most bus but any Most Bus options are left hanging.
So terminating the Most Bus after removing the Head Unit is useless.
If other units such as SOS throw error codes you have to program them out
or mount the BMW Head Unit somewhere else and reestablish the Most Loop.

Putting the jumper in the Dash with the Hu in the trunk should work. If the old head unit has no connection to any speakers then no bt or SOS I think.

What did you try for programming the old Hu to Hi FI.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-18-2013 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
The BMW Head Unit is the server controller for Most.
If you remove it you remove the HU you are effectively removing
the most bus but any Most Bus options are left hanging.
So terminating the Most Bus after removing the Head Unit is useless.
If other units such as SOS throw error codes you have to program them out
or mount the BMW Head Unit somewhere else and reestablish the Most Loop.

Putting the jumper in the Dash with the Hu in the trunk should work. If the old head unit has no connection to any speakers then no bt or SOS I think.

What did you try for programming the old Hu to Hi FI.
Thanks for the replies. I used NCS Expert with K+DCAN cable that used to code other things in the past, such as corner light delete, key fob fold mirrors, etc..

2URAD was the only module that gave me an error when attempting to read:

COAPI2020: No response from ECU.

Only thing I can do is SG_RESET, but it did not change anything even though I add $676 to the VO.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

So you can't read the 2urad file either?

You do have the pro radio and not idrive right?
idrive uses different files not the rad files .
How uptodate are your daten files?
If you can read or update some things but not others
I would think it would be a software issue.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=stereo

Last edited by ctuna; 11-18-2013 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
How uptodate are your daten files?

Daten files are v49.4. I understand there is a 50.2 that came out around Aug, but I didn't think it was necessary. BMW Standard Tools 2.12, all updated with bmw coding tool 2.50, 100% working.

Just now, I went to my car and accessed the hidden menu (8 sec M button), and it still said: Top HIFI

I even tried blank MAN files to CAS and KOMBI and reverted old coding to stock. No worky, thus the decision to get aftermarket HU.

I have a spare Pioneer AVIC150 that can be used currently..

EDIT: no idrive or nav, just logic 7 professional HU with USB and Bluetooth. Also, I think the other box in the trunk is HD radio, if I am not mistaken.

Last edited by hoonywise; 11-18-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Without Hifi recode, I believe the only two options to retain BT chimes etc. is to use a Mobridge DA2 or you keep the L7 amp and feed the MS-8 with the high level OEM amp outputs..

But since you want to relocate the HU that means you want to install an aftermarket one, right? In that case I am not sure you will be able to do that unless you get one that can interface with MOST devices.
Thank you for your input as well kaigoss69.

I guess now my setup is going to be:

Replace OEM HU with Pioneer AVIC 150
Replace OEM L7 amp with MS-8
Add SWS-8 using 2 channel Rockford amp.

So I just want to move the OEM HU to the trunk to retain:
Coding functionality
No error messages

I can live without the chime, and I can use bluetooth on the AVIC150, and I probably will be using connects2 harness to retain steering wheel functions as recommended by bmw325i.

Please help a brother out, the new equipments are currently sitting around my closet
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonywise
Quote:

Thank you for your input as well kaigoss69.

I guess now my setup is going to be:

Replace OEM HU with Pioneer AVIC 150
Replace OEM L7 amp with MS-8
Add SWS-8 using 2 channel Rockford amp.

So I just want to move the OEM HU to the trunk to retain:
Coding functionality
No error messages

I can live without the chime, and I can use bluetooth on the AVIC150, and I probably will be using connects2 harness to retain steering wheel functions as recommended by bmw325i.

Please help a brother out, the new equipments are currently sitting around my closet
I can't remember now, didn't you have a trunk sub?
      11-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
I can't remember now, didn't you have a trunk sub?
Currently, its bone stock L7 system. No trunk subs will be added in the future either. Just SWS-8 replacing OEM ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
I think I already have the answers. I will go ahead and order the necessary parts and go forward with the installations.

I will report back when they are put together.

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I don't think there is a way for you to keep the chimes. I thought the connects2 harness for pdc would work to keep the chimes, but it says for non amplified systems only.

Without PDC
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/bmw-s...l#.UoqfiRYx_zI

With PDC
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conne...l#.UoqdwhYx_zI
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
I don't think there is a way for you to keep the chimes. I thought the connects2 harness for pdc would work to keep the chimes, but it says for non amplified systems only.

Without PDC
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/bmw-s...l#.UoqfiRYx_zI

With PDC
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conne...l#.UoqdwhYx_zI
Thanks bmw325i. Actually I came across this one on the manufacturer's website:

http://www.connects2.co.uk/ProductIn...3&p=CTSBM009.2

I believe it has a small speaker attached for chimes. But I don't how much more it costs. I emailed the seller.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Bmw808HI
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335i

MOST LOOP

Aloha,

I stumbled on this forum after I had installed a aftermarket deck in my 2011 335i. Now I'm having SOS malfunctions, No Chimes, and NO PDC functions.

I did a search and the question was never answered, Can the OEM head unit be reinstalled by using the Fiber optic connection on the AMP that is located on the left side of the trunk? its a faster process instead of having to run fiber optic, CAN HI and CAN LO all the way from the front.

And has anyone installed the OEM head unit with all the connections in place like speaker wires? and does this affect the aftermarket deck that will also be plugged in to the same speaker wires?

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. I just sent away for the CONNECTS2 CTRBM001 and now I may not need it. with the OEM head unit relocated to the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw808HI View Post
Aloha,

I stumbled on this forum after I had installed a aftermarket deck in my 2011 335i. Now I'm having SOS malfunctions, No Chimes, and NO PDC functions.

I did a search and the question was never answered, Can the OEM head unit be reinstalled by using the Fiber optic connection on the AMP that is located on the left side of the trunk? its a faster process instead of having to run fiber optic, CAN HI and CAN LO all the way from the front.

And has anyone installed the OEM head unit with all the connections in place like speaker wires? and does this affect the aftermarket deck that will also be plugged in to the same speaker wires?

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. I just sent away for the CONNECTS2 CTRBM001 and now I may not need it. with the OEM head unit relocated to the trunk.
Maybe I can help since I just did this install.

1. Yes, you can use the fiber optic connection on the OEM L7 AMP to connect the OEM HU. You will still need to route CAN +- wires (I used 16 gauge speaker wires for these) and speaker wires for PDC. Details here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319976

2. You will need to place a MOST loop on by separating the optical wires from the OEM harness in the dash. You can find this info on the 4th page of the above thread. Instead of spending money for new optical cables to be routed along with CAN +- and PDC speaker wires, just separate the optical plug from the dash harness and place a MOST loop there. MOST loop can be bought from any BMW parts dealers. You can find the details for the part here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640764

EDIT: you still need the connects2 to retain steering wheel controls. Tap the CAN +- from the connects2 harness and route it to the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
Bmw808HI
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335i

Much Mahalo's "Thankyou"

thanks for the quick response, and believe me it's greatly appreciated. Living in hawaii feels like we behind the times when it comes to latest info. I already sent away for the fiber optic cables and I will be running the cables,Can Hi/lo to the trunk. Power and ground will be tapped from the amp in the trunk.

1. The reverse stereo plug that goes into the back of the oem head unit is different for the 2011 and the only one I found is part the connects2 ctrbm001. I can't find one anywhere and I need it to move head unit to trunk.

2. As far as the connects2 ctrbm001. I did a test fit ( kenwood deck to ctrbm001 to amp) and the PDC chime/beep was deafening. There's no volume control. So I was wondering, instead of using the connects2 jus bypass amp and tap oem head unit speaker wires to speaker output on amp in trunk? Will this give me my chimes and PDC at a normal level?

3. Lastly does anyone have color coding for which wire is can hi/lo in the vehicle as well as the color coding of speakers from amp. I believe my system is hifi and not L7 and I was informed no woofers.

Thankyou all in advance
Appreciate 0