E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vishnu Technical: Ignition timing control facts

07-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #133
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
If? You're kidding me, right? Unless I'm mistaken, Mike/Terry is nor questioning whether we can control timing. They have quietly abandoned that stance due to obvious reasons. They have moved on to another concerns now.

shiv
No im not kidding you. Im not kidding at all. i think u do a great job. I also think this thread is great because u guys arguing is just gonna make u work harder to make a better tune. Now when u guys argue its cool, but when fanboys from BOTH sides come in and start taking cracks it makes the thread just look like a tuner war. Ive learned a descent amount just from this thread. Just dont like seeing it devalued.
      07-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #134
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
lol ok. Million dollar question Mike: Does the JB3 control timing?

Shiv
Asked and answered.

No piggyback can directly control timing on the N54 without directly driving the coil packs.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #135
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Asked and answered.

No piggyback can directly control timing on the N54 without directly driving the coil packs.

Mike
So if I say we can put the timing anywhere we want, just as long as it doesn't exceed the knock threshold, you'd claim that is impossible?

Also, how many other piggybacks can read actual timing from CAN data?

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #136
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
lol ok. Million dollar question Mike: Does the JB3 control timing?

Shiv
No not really, Actually the Juice box was made a few years ago when you were teaching Terry how resistors worked and how one could theortically create that kind of tune to control boost with the vacuum bypass,I have your original diagram saved somewhere but heck what do I know its Sunday and I'm tired lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #137
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

people are actually saying that the PROcede doesn't control timing??? WHAT!?!?!

The PROcede controls timing, I have seen it with my own eyes, and heard it with my own ears. Even if its not "directly driving the coil packs" , it is still creating obvious and substantial changes to timing.

A few examples....

In some of the early beta maps when shiv would adjust timing by up to 4 degrees at low rpm's, you could hear the exhaust note changing as you switched maps with the PROcede map switcher... it was actively adjusting timing, and the car was behaving exactly as expected.

Also, shiv released a few maps to beta testers, one with timing adjustments, and one with the timing table zero'd out as a "race gas map"... when running this map on 93 octane, the car would get kinda rough in the high rpms, even stumble a bit... switching to the map which was *EXACTLY* the same except for he was retarding the timing, the car ran butter smooth, stumbling was gone.

It was completely obvious that these timing changes were real and permanent, and were doing exactly as advertised; actively controlling timing.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #138
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So if I say we can put the timing anywhere we want, just as long as it doesn't exceed the knock threshold, you'd claim that is impossible?

Also, how many other piggybacks can read actual timing from CAN data?

Shiv
More distractions. There are cases where CPS offsetting may offer a performance benefit. Like when you're riding at the very top of the curve on meth/race gas. Still, the highest stock turbo dyno in the world doesn't use CPS offsetting... the worlds quickest/fastest N54s don't use it... So one wonders on the performance benefit.

I am happy to admit I am not as familiar with off boost timing, so CPS offsetting may offer some benefit in vacuum/idle. I can't say. I can say that CPS offsetting as an effective timing retard / safety device under boost, is simply a parlor trick/marketing.

If you want timing control like a flash why don't you just use that CANbus to directly drive the coil packs?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #139
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
No not really, Actually the Juice box was made a few years ago when you were teaching Terry how resistors worked and how one could theortically create that kind of tune to control boost with the vacuum bypass,I have your original diagram saved somewhere but heck what do I know its Sunday and I'm tired lol.
More fun but that isn't my fight. Take it over to N54Tech if you're so inclined and give Terry a chance to answer

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #140
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
More distractions. There are cases where CPS offsetting may offer a performance benefit. Like when you're riding at the very top of the curve on meth/race gas. Still, the highest stock turbo dyno in the world doesn't use CPS offsetting... the worlds quickest/fastest N54s don't use it... So one wonders on the performance benefit.

I am happy to admit I am not as familiar with off boost timing, so CPS offsetting may offer some benefit in vacuum/idle. I can't say. I can say that CPS offsetting as an effective timing retard / safety device under boost, is simply a parlor trick/marketing.

If you want timing control like a flash why don't you just use that CANbus to directly drive the coil packs?

Mike
It appears to me that you really hope that there are enough people on this forum who don't know enough about engine control systems which will actually give you words even one ounce of credibility. And to even suggest that I'm providing "more distractions" is so far beyond rational (and well into the realm of irony) that I'm at a loss for words. It's a new feeling... I think I kinda like it.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #141
usc335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 E92 335

Quote:
Mike
It's called consistency and safety. As has been discussed before, CPS offsetting, is an EXTREMELY common practice on almost all "piggybacks" (except the JB3) on all kinds of cars all over the world for over 20 years. You are really fighting a losing battle trying to argue that CPS offsetting doesn't work. What your saying is that Terry knows better than ALL of the piggyback manufacturers in the world with their vast resources. That's pretty arrogant (and wrong). The N54 is nothing more than an internal combustion engine, so please don't try and argue it is something special and the rules don't apply. Please stop the mis-direction and post data. I realize you are just trying to confuse people because it must be true if it's on the internet.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #142
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc335 View Post
It's called consistency and safety. As has been discussed before, CPS offsetting, is an EXTREMELY common practice on almost all "piggybacks" (except the JB3) on all kinds of cars all over the world for over 20 years. You are really fighting a losing battle trying to argue that CPS offsetting doesn't work. What your saying is that Terry knows better than ALL of the piggyback manufacturers in the world with their vast resources. That's pretty arrogant (and wrong). The N54 is nothing more than an internal combustion engine, so please don't try and argue it is something special and the rules don't apply. Please stop the mis-direction and post data. I realize you are just trying to confuse people because it must be true if it's on the internet.
+1
Also, let's not forget that BMS actually claimed that the JB3 offered CPS offsetting before and after it was released. Until it was proven that it didn't through independent testing and hardware analysis.

Sorry I'm going off topic but it's clear that staying on-topic is futile at times.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:39 PM   #143
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc335 View Post
From another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@ N54Tuning
Actually, there are more N54 piggybacks out there running without CPS offsetting than with. And they have proven to be exceptionally reliable and powerful. Non-CPS tunes own the pump gas track records, and the pump gas dyno records. But don't let those inconvenient truths stand in the way of the marketing.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #144
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
From another thread.
Mike, this is why many of us don't take you seriously. The only piggybacks that don't offer CPS offsetting are simple plug-in TMAP attenuators like the SSTT and its progeny the JB+. And they do so for reasons of cost and packaging. Same reason they don't directly drive the wastegate solenoids or adjust fuel mapping. Please tell me you don't believe otherwise.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #145
RiXst3r
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #146
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
+1
Also, let's not forget that BMS actually claimed that the JB3 offered CPS offsetting before and after it was released. Until it was proven that it didn't through independent testing and hardware analysis.

Sorry I'm going off topic but it's clear that staying on-topic is futile at times.

Shiv
More distractions. CPS was never mentioned after release, but certainly during the conceptual and development phases it was thought to be the only method. There was never a big "we discovered CPS offsetting doesn't work on the N54" party, but if there was, I'm sure you would have been invited. If you want to continue to make distractions lets at least make them interesting... Which method has resulted in more engine carnage?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #147
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Mike, this is why many of us don't take you seriously. The only piggybacks that don't offer CPS offsetting are simple plug-in TMAP attenuators like the SSTT and its progeny the JB+. And they do so for reasons of cost and packaging. Same reason they don't directly drive the wastegate solenoids or adjust fuel mapping. Please tell me you don't believe otherwise.

Shiv
There are more N54 engines running tunes without CPS offsetting than with. Just something many readers, like usc335 here, might not know.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #148
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
There are more N54 engines running tunes without CPS offsetting than with. Just something many readers, like usc335 here, might not know.

Mike
That comment is a "tad" misleading... on THIS thread, which is about a full high boost piggyback... here is another way to look at it, and weed out the "half" tunes which run low boost.

Of all the piggyback tunes which offer "high boost" (14psi or more), and map the tune based on RPM, how many do so without CPS offset?

Correct me if I am wrong with this list...

CPS offset and "high boost":
AA, RDsport blackbox, XEDE, PROcede, Helix Attache, CP-E standback

NO CPS offset and "high boost":
Juicebox

I am not saying that BMS doesn't know something that the others don't... aka, the "secret sauce", but as for full 4D+ tuning piggybacks, cps offset IS popular.

Last edited by RiXst3r; 07-19-2009 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #149
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
That comment is a "tad" misleading... on THIS thread, which is about a full high boost piggyback... here is another way to look at it, and weed out the "half" tunes which run low boost.

Of all the piggyback tunes which offer "high boost" (14psi or more), and map the tune based on RPM, how many do so without CPS offset?

Correct me if I am wrong with this list...

CPS offset and "high boost":
AA, RDsport blackbox, XEDE, PROcede, Helix Attache, CP-E standback

NO CPS offset and "high boost":
Juicebox

I am not saying that BMS doesn't know something that the others don't... aka, the "secret sauce", lol, but as for full 4D+ tuning piggybacks, cps offset IS popular.
Of those tunes you mention, PROCede aside, the rest make up some 200 or less units. Hardly worth mentioning. Unless this is example of tunes with CPS offsetting that failed to make a dent in the N54 tuning market thread.

There were over 1,100 JB2/JB2H/JBX tunes sold, around 800 JB+s, and at last count 1,200 JB3s. Then add to that at least 4000-5000 SSTTs, and you have a staggering number of tunes in use for years. With great reliability. Remember, Shiv claimed that the "Terry Tuner" with its 1.5psi gains was going to blow motors when it was introduced. If this internet connection wasn't so slow I'd go find the quote. Funny stuff.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #150
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Remember, Shiv claimed that the "Terry Tuner" with its 1.5psi gains was going to blow motors when it was introduced. If this internet connection wasn't so slow I'd go find the quote. Funny stuff.
Will we see a link to that post before or after you present all that data of yours? Because, your total contribution to this thread thus far has been zilch.

And yes, there are more Daewoo Lanoses on the road than M3s.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #151
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Of those tunes you mention, PROCede aside, the rest make up some 200 or less units. Hardly worth mentioning. Unless this is example of tunes with CPS offsetting that failed to make a dent in the N54 tuning market thread.

There were over 1,100 JB2/JB2H/JBX tunes sold, around 800 JB+s, and at last count 1,200 JB3s. Then add to that at least 4000-5000 SSTTs, and you have a staggering number of tunes in use for years. With great reliability. Remember, Shiv claimed that the "Terry Tuner" with its 1.5psi gains was going to blow motors when it was introduced. If this internet connection wasn't so slow I'd go find the quote. Funny stuff.

Mike
Once again, you are counting tunes that don't actually accomplish re-mapping of the engine parameters at the level of the jb3 or procede, but rather are focused on things like quick install, low boost, or low cost. Different goals. Apples to Oranges.

I am not going to argue that not having CPS offset is a "bad thing" , I am just saying, your comment about how CPS offset is vastly unpopular is misleading. The jb3 was the first, and still the only piggyback tune to offer full 4d engine mapping without the use of CPS offset.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:59 PM   #152
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

@n54tuning.com is as slippery as Terry.
      07-20-2009, 12:27 AM   #153
usc335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 E92 335

Quote:

Mike
Here we go with more mis-direction. Apparently, I know a lot more than you think, and maybe that's the problem -- you think we are ignorant. I suggest you quit while your only losing badly as opposed to going down in flames. Although, I do find your responses rather amusing, so keep it up...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #154
edo
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
More distractions. CPS was never mentioned after release, but certainly during the conceptual and development phases it was thought to be the only method.
I'm not going to participate in this discussion as I'm not very good in all this technical stuff, but what you wrote isn't true.
I do remember BMS claiming that JB3 controlled CPS offsetting. When everybody was asking how, Terry told that he wouldn't reveal it as he'd found a unique way to controll it, that no other tune uses. And he was claiming it for a long period of time until Scalbert tested both tunes.

Appreciate 0