E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > another place for change to fall, rattle, slide around

07-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
bentwookie
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

another place for change to fall, rattle, slide around

Since this place was so good at helping me find the last change related noise in my 335, I thought I'd pay it forward with a solution to a different coin related noise problem.

This time when I made side to side turns, I could hear metal on metal sliding. After much searching I found the source of the noise.

The front of the bottom part of the seat expands (for people with long legs I guess). Expand that as far as it will go. There's a flap of fabric connecting the piece that moves with the rest of the seat. Underneath this fabric is a perfect little metal tray for collecting change. It has two roundish channels, and money falls into each of them.

Getting the money out was a little tricky. I finally pushed a little grabber tool down each of the channels repeatedly until I was rewarded with a dime

Although not as egregious as the unguarded twin-port suck-hole underneath the front seat, one wonders why they didn't cut a few coin size holes along the channels so change would eventually drop through.

Anyway, hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

get a shop vac, problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwookie View Post
Since this place was so good at helping me find the last change related noise in my 335, I thought I'd pay it forward with a solution to a different coin related noise problem.

This time when I made side to side turns, I could hear metal on metal sliding. After much searching I found the source of the noise.

The front of the bottom part of the seat expands (for people with long legs I guess). Expand that as far as it will go. There's a flap of fabric connecting the piece that moves with the rest of the seat. Underneath this fabric is a perfect little metal tray for collecting change. It has two roundish channels, and money falls into each of them.

Getting the money out was a little tricky. I finally pushed a little grabber tool down each of the channels repeatedly until I was rewarded with a dime

Although not as egregious as the unguarded twin-port suck-hole underneath the front seat, one wonders why they didn't cut a few coin size holes along the channels so change would eventually drop through.

Anyway, hope this helps someone.
I have nightmares about the "twin-port suck-hole"- I once on accident pushed change down them in my e90 and i promptly hooked up my shop vac and out they came. But honestly- it's like they are made to collect change etc. and never allow it back out all the while driving us mad.

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
get a shop vac, problem solved.
Good luck getting anything out once the car is moved- change and stones etc. roll from front to back as you accelerate and stop- The last rental I had sounded like a bowling alley. Honestly, a child must have dropped some marbles down there.

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
SUperfunkMF
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Coupe, 11 C63 P31

At least you got rewarded for your efforts.

11 C63 P31 Iridium Silver, Black on Black.
08 335XI TiAg, Black on Alu trim,ZSP, STEP.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

well if you really want to collect all your change, then I suggest emptying the drum for the vac, sucking everything in, and rinsing it out with water. coins will stay at the bottom
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
one.miguel
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Garage List
2008 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Just wanted to add my $0.02: I cleaned out my coins under the seats and came up with about 12 euros. There was one last euro in the air vents under the driver's seat that was driving me crazy with the noise when I accelerate or brake (or corner). Best thing to do is punch it and then slow down. Crawl into back floor with a flashlight and it should come out. It's not really a twin vent - it's a single vent with a "Y" out.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Thank you, after looking in the vents under my seats for months I finally found it where you said it might be. I extended the thigh support, smacked it from below and heard it rattle. Sucked it out with a small vacuum cleaner. Sucked out a Canadian nickel. Thats weird unless the previous owner was Canadian and lived in Florida as we call them snowbirds. THANKS!!!!
Appreciate 0