E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > HELP! - Unhappy about Insurance Body Work Repair

02-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
CS
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabriolet

HELP! - Unhappy about Insurance Body Work Repair

My 2008 e93 was rear ended december of last year.
The claim was $10,000 , they had to replace the rear bumper and the trunk.

When I got it back I realized that the rear trunk is not even with the rest of the car. That is when I run my hand from the rear trunk to another part of the car, i can feel a change in level. Furthermore when you look closer, the spacing around the new trunk is not even.

I talked to the bodyshop (a very reputable BMW certified body shop) and he said they can heat up the trunk and "bend" it to fit the rest of the car.

Is this a normal procedure? I talked to my BMW Service Adviser and she told me that as cars get driven the body shifts and they are never the same.

Should I be happy with this solution? Is it OK to have to bend an OEM trunk to perfectly fit my 2008 e93? My car has never had an accident before.

Thanks

Last edited by CS; 02-15-2013 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

This same thing happened to my previous car. The lines were never even again. It's not something you live with, it should be even. Bending it through heat might be the only option.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
CenCal X3M Comp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3M Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
Take it back and have them do it over. I had to take my car three times until they got it right. If they are a certified BMW collision center, it should look at least 98% as good than before the collision.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Crewchief05
SBD
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

Garage List
08 335i  [0.00]
Thats sounds pretty crazy..."as cars are driven the body shifts". She might of meant when cars are hit they are never the same. But I hope it all works out. Just keep buggin them.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
CS
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabriolet

Thanks for your advise everyone.

I decided last week to take it to another body shop to get an unbiased oppion.

Took my car to a third party Autobody shop and they told me I shouldn't have to mess around with OEM. The guy even said it looks like the trunk is not the problem. He said the part of the car that is between the rear windshield and the trunk itself is not even.

I mentioned this to the original bodyshop that did my car and they strongly disagree and said that this part of the car could not have been possibly affected by the accident.

He advised me to go to BMW and have a look at some used e93 and see if they have the same problem. - I did that an just as i expected, the used e93s did not share the same issues.

I will schedule another meeting with ICBC (insurance company) and tell them what the third party body shop told me.
Appreciate 0