E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335 Dinan tidbit...

11-23-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
tb335
Rep
Drives: Montego 335 - Black w/ Alum.

Smile 335 Dinan tidbit...

Hello all. I picked up my montego blue 335 on Monday, and had an interesting discussion with the store manager. It started out simple enough, we were discussing my decision to de-badge, and how good it turned out looking, when all of the sudden he asked if I would be interested in any Dinan upgrades. I of course said yes! He then told me that Dinan is currently working on a performance package to be released mid to late '07 that ups the power to around 400bhp. I asked if he was mistakenly referencing the Vishnu Package, but he said that this was something he heard from his Dinan rep.

Now I realize he could be embellishing a bit, but the possibility is exciting...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

the thing is Dinan will be really expensive though, but you do get to keep your warranty by going with Dinan.
      11-23-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

pics please.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb335
Hello all. I picked up my montego blue 335 on Monday, and had an interesting discussion with the store manager. It started out simple enough, we were discussing my decision to de-badge, and how good it turned out looking, when all of the sudden he asked if I would be interested in any Dinan upgrades. I of course said yes! He then told me that Dinan is currently working on a performance package to be released mid to late '07 that ups the power to around 400bhp. I asked if he was mistakenly referencing the Vishnu Package, but he said that this was something he heard from his Dinan rep.

Now I realize he could be embellishing a bit, but the possibility is exciting...
Sorry, mid to late '07 is too late for those who got their '07 335i's in late '06 and are on a 2-3 year lease (or who otherwise plan on only keeping the car for a short time). Dinan, like Shiv Vishnu should have already been working on a chip upgrade for the 335i when the car came out in Sept., '06 and they didn't. Dinan dropped the ball, and they wait too long to come out with their products. By the time they come out with their 335i chip s/w update, BMW will probably offer the '08 335i ZHP! Therefore, my business and my money (as well as many others who feel the same) go to Shiv for the Xede!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
aris214
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: 1993 325i

noob question: whats ZHP and ZSP?
      11-23-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator
Sorry, mid to late '07 is too late for those who got their '07 335i's in late '06 and are on a 2-3 year lease (or who otherwise plan on only keeping the car for a short time). Dinan, like Shiv Vishnu should have already been working on a chip upgrade for the 335i when the car came out in Sept., '06 and they didn't. Dinan dropped the ball, and they wait too long to come out with their products. By the time they come out with their 335i chip s/w update, BMW will probably offer the '08 335i ZHP! Therefore, my business and my money (as well as many others who feel the same) go to Shiv for the Xede!

I agree with this completely, if Dinan had a product or even a prototype with projected pricing and an estimated release date I am sure there are lots of folks who would consider at least waiting to see results. But with no info whatsoever other than a couple of CA's saying "dude, Dinan is gonna tweek this car to 400 HP with some unknown combo of products at some unknown time for some unknown price" then how can we take them seriously? It's Xede all the way until some other tuners get some real products and real data out there.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1
I agree with this completely, if Dinan had a product or even a prototype with projected pricing and an estimated release date I am sure there are lots of folks who would consider at least waiting to see results. But with no info whatsoever other than a couple of CA's saying "dude, Dinan is gonna tweek this car to 400 HP with some unknown combo of products at some unknown time for some unknown price" then how can we take them seriously? It's Xede all the way until some other tuners get some real products and real data out there.
JIMO - I'd rather wait for Dinan than void my warranty (I purchased 7 yr) with Xede or something of that kind. Dinan puts forth a lot of R&D in developing BMW specific products and time taken to do that is understandable. You don't know what would go wrong with aftermarket products. I am just one of those 'paranoid' kind of people who don't wanna mess with ~$60K investment. Again, its JMO
      11-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester
JIMO - I'd rather wait for Dinan than void my warranty (I purchased 7 yr) with Xede or something of that kind. Dinan puts forth a lot of R&D in developing BMW specific products and time taken to do that is understandable. You don't know what would go wrong with aftermarket products. I am just one of those 'paranoid' kind of people who don't wanna mess with ~$60K investment. Again, its JMO
Thats the nice thing about Xede, if your car goes Kaboom, then you take the xede out
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester
It's obvious that you're planning on keeping your 335i for a very long time, and good for you...it's a great car! However, many of us lease our cars for a short time (my 335i is on a high mileage -- 20k mi./yr. 30-month lease) and then we're on to our next car; so, waiting around for a year for a company like Dinan to get their $hit together doesn't cut it...it's just a waste of time and wishful thinking. If I'm adding a mod, I'm going to do it at the beginning of my lease, so I can get the most out of it for as long as I can.

With the Xede, provided I get another BMW 3'er in 2 1/2 years, it's very possible I may be able to transfer it to my new car with a remapping by Shiv (and yes, based on his company's history, I'm sure he'll still be around). Even if it's not possible, at least I can have a lot of fun with the Xede in my 335i Coupe for the next 2 years while some of you are "waiting around" for Dinan's 335i chip upgrade!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |

Last edited by sflgator; 11-23-2006 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
DrH
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

there ARE other options out there.
EVOtech already has an ECU upgrade out.
other companies have stuff out or on the way.
Dinan HAS dropped the ball no doubt.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37227

'07 E92 335i Coupe | Monaco Blue
A/T | Paddle shifters | Sports package
| Black/Aluminum Trim
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #11
eurotekm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, Audi B5 S4 Stg.2+

Dinan is a JOKE!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #12
e92law
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e70

Resale

There will also be a good resale market for the early birds. I mean, three years later, Vishnu Stage 1 kit should still be worth 1k. Plus, there will be a number of cars coming back from leases and this engine will be in a number of different models by then.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #13
tb335
Rep
Drives: Montego 335 - Black w/ Alum.

I was just passing along the info...
I'll probably end up getting the XEDE for several reasons.

1) Shiv's high level of customer service
2) Xede's portability
3) Potential for custom tuning
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 04:52 PM   #14
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris214
noob question: whats ZHP and ZSP?

ZHP = Performance package
ZCP = Competition package
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 06:59 PM   #15
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
I can see why some owners would rather wait for Dinan since they have only focused on BMWs and because you can go to your local dealer and have it installed and warrantied.

I think the work that Shiv has done has been phenomenal, but this is his first BMW product and anyone who buys the xede right now is basically a paying guinea pig for the most part
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #16
aris214
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: 1993 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado
ZHP = Performance package
ZCP = Competition package
thanks
      11-23-2006, 07:54 PM   #17
Backattack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (Dec 13th)

Garage List
2000 M5  [0.00]
Beta Testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy
I can see why some owners would rather wait for Dinan since they have only focused on BMWs and because you can go to your local dealer and have it installed and warrantied.

I think the work that Shiv has done has been phenomenal, but this is his first BMW product and anyone who buys the xede right now is basically a paying guinea pig for the most part
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #18
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I too can understand why some can/would wait for the Dinan 335i chip; however, timing is everything to others. Also, in regards to Shiv Vishnu's Xede and being 'guinea pigs,' I'd have to say yes and no...yes b/c Shiv only now just developed the Xede maps (and Xede integration) specifically for the BMW 335i (his first test car is his own 335i Coupe!) and no b/c Shiv's Xede product has been used for several years now on other FI turbo cars like the Mistu Evo/Subie WRX Sti, so the Xede itself is not a "new" product...it's been fully tested for years.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 08:42 PM   #19
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Just in case if a few of you are still skeptical, here is one of Shiv's latest posts (in another thread here)...

Hi guys,
Just a quick heads up. I'm up here in Canuck land tuning a couple of bone stock 335is. It's cold up here. But at least they have good gas (94oct, not the 91oct squirrel pee we get in California). So far, we just finished one car. It baselined at 269whp and 280lbfts of torque. After the Xede was installed and tuned, it made.. get ready for this...

330whp and 365lb-ft of torque

This was with the factory exhaust system. The only mod is the XEDE. Boost is 10-11psi. Dyno sheets to come soon (as soon as I get access to a scanner).

Another car is being strapped to the dyno right now. Gotta go...

Cheers,
shiv

OMG...this is with the Xede-only kit (Stage 0) and stock exhaust! Wait for Dinan if you want, but this can installed in your 335i NOW! :rocks:

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #20
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator
I too can understand why some can/would wait for the Dinan 335i chip; however, timing is everything to others. Also, in regards to Shiv Vishnu's Xede and being 'guinea pigs,' I'd have to say yes and no...yes b/c Shiv only now just developed the Xede maps (and Xede integration) specifically for the BMW 335i (his first test car is his own 335i Coupe!) and no b/c Shiv's Xede product has been used for several years now on other FI turbo cars like the Mistu Evo/Subie WRX Sti, so the Xede itself is not a "new" product...it's been fully tested for years.
No doubt Xede works wonders on various platforms, but I think most people here want to see how it works over the course of time on both the 335i Coupe & Sedan before they invest in this ( The 335i is not a boy racer like the STi or Evo ). I am very interested to see the feedback from Shiv's customers over the next few months
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 10:20 PM   #21
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Quote:

+1- Righton bro
      11-23-2006, 10:35 PM   #22
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Quote:

Guess what... the first people buying Dinan will be the same. Hell the first people buying the 335i are doing the same. Dinan isnt doing much different... do you really think he has 100 cars that have his 335i kit on right now doing long term testing? No. He probably has barely started on it and the first people to buy it will most likely be the real testers. Would I like to get a mod that is 100% covered by warranty? Yes. But would it have the same performance as shiv's? Very unlikely. Do I want to pay 3K for something that doesnt give much of a performance boost? Personally no. $3k for the performance shiv is getting is OK. Now paying $3K for an extra 25-30RWHP that is covered by warranty? IMO i would rather stay stock.

No flames intended just my humble opinions.

Mat
Appreciate 0