E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 when a new gearbox fitted is the clutch checked?

10-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
satmann
Rep
Drives: E90 1.8i 2007

E90 when a new gearbox fitted is the clutch checked?

Hi,

Had a new gearbox fitted 10,000 miles ago, just wanted to know if the condition of the clutch is checked at the time ? If it could do with replacing etc. Reason being 10,000 miles later the clutch as worn to a minimum.

2000 miles after the gearbox changed raised this with the dealers that I am getting clutch judder, was told clutch, flywheel checked on the gearbox change. Same story again at 5000 miles after new gearbox. Now after 10000 miles with judder getting worse they have taken the gearbox out and found the clutch worn.

Obviously trying to work out how the clutch as worn since new gearbox fitted, with me being the only driver and not riding the clutch.

So basically wanted to know if the clutch is checked when gearbox taken out ?

Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 03:33 AM   #2
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by satmann View Post
Hi,

Had a new gearbox fitted 10,000 miles ago, just wanted to know if the condition of the clutch is checked at the time ? If it could do with replacing etc. Reason being 10,000 miles later the clutch as worn to a minimum.

2000 miles after the gearbox changed raised this with the dealers that I am getting clutch judder, was told clutch, flywheel checked on the gearbox change. Same story again at 5000 miles after new gearbox. Now after 10000 miles with judder getting worse they have taken the gearbox out and found the clutch worn.

Obviously trying to work out how the clutch as worn since new gearbox fitted, with me being the only driver and not riding the clutch.

Thanks for any help.
There is no hard and fast rule to state "If you change a gearbox then you *must* check the condition of the clutch". I'd imagine it would be best practice, but it's completely down to the garage.
      10-23-2014, 04:10 AM   #3
satmann
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanthatcan View Post
There is no hard and fast rule to state "If you change a gearbox then you *must* check the condition of the clutch". I'd imagine it would be best practice, but it's completely down to the garage.
Thanks for the reply. The dealer was adamant that the clutch was checked at the time when the new gearbox was fitted. Now thinking that maybe they didn't.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 04:25 AM   #4
GreaseJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i Black Sapphire

Even with the transmission out, you can't get a good glimpse of the condition of the clutch plate without removing the pressure plate, which I doubt they did.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 04:40 AM   #5
satmann
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseJunkie View Post
Even with the transmission out, you can't get a good glimpse of the condition of the clutch plate without removing the pressure plate, which I doubt they did.
Yeah your right, don't think they checked it. Really annoying that am having the gearbox taking out twice in just over 2 years. Not too mention the dealers charges.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
In view of the amount of labour involved in changing the clutch, I think any dealer worth his salt would have at least offered you the option of fitting a new clutch while the gearbox was out, and killed two birds with one stone, so to speak...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Always, always check clutch and flywheel when the car is in the air common sense dictates this why would you have a gear box out he car and ignore the flywheel and clutch assembly which is staring you in the face.

Re doing these items when replacing the clutch and flywheel always replace the ball pin and spring unit as well, around a fiver in total the ball pin is made of plastic but we've seen these damaged that can cause clutch issues due to the fact that a garage has just gone for dual mass and clutch thinking its all they need and forget these 2 simple but important items(which wear)
      10-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by satmann View Post
Hi,

Thanks for any help.
In theory it should be checked, however if the technician working on your car was under time pressures he may have cut corners. What sort of mileage has your car done. I assume that your car has high mileage because its had to have a new gearbox put in? Personally if it was my car and if the gearbox was out, I'd opt to pay for the clutch kit to be replaced regardless of its condition or how many miles its done. If the labour for gearbox removal was covered under warranty surely you'd only have to pay for the parts/clutch kit only.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
satmann
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak View Post
In theory it should be checked, however if the technician working on your car was under time pressures he may have cut corners. What sort of mileage has your car done. I assume that your car has high mileage because its had to have a new gearbox put in? Personally if it was my car and if the gearbox was out, I'd opt to pay for the clutch kit to be replaced regardless of its condition or how many miles its done. If the labour for gearbox removal was covered under warranty surely you'd only have to pay for the parts/clutch kit only.
Thanks for the reply. The car had done 38000 miles, when it had the new gearbox fitted. Took them 3 years to agree it was the gearbox.

2000 miles after the new gearbox reported clutch judder. And again at 6000 after new gearbox fitted. Now the car is at 50,000 and clutch is getting replaced so about 12000 miles since new gearbox. Feel really annoyed as this could have been done when gearbox was out before but what can I do if they say the clutch is doesn't need replacing. Purchased the car from the dealer do all the servicing there etc. And they say they offer a 5 star service.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

As has been said, it's best practice to change a clutch when the box is out - or at least offer to do it!

However, BMW dealerships are a law unto themselves!!

I was speaking to a friend last week - I hadn't seen him for a while. He has a 320d E91, it's just over the 100,000 mile mark and on it's 5th clutch. At the last change, the Dealer said it was the flywheel at fault!!
It's about 3 years old now, and due for changing.
He's hoping to get a Passat !!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
satmann
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
As has been said, it's best practice to change a clutch when the box is out - or at least offer to do it!

However, BMW dealerships are a law unto themselves!!

I was speaking to a friend last week - I hadn't seen him for a while. He has a 320d E91, it's just over the 100,000 mile mark and on it's 5th clutch. At the last change, the Dealer said it was the flywheel at fault!!
It's about 3 years old now, and due for changing.
He's hoping to get a Passat !!

Mike
Still feel sick. Have had so many problems with the dealer in the past, never made an issue of it.

I.e... Took the car for a vehicle check a couple of weeks ago, was charged to have a headlight bulb refitted which was not on right. When I got home the sheet in the car left by the technician said he had done it free of charge.

Like many have said surely if the gearbox is off let customer know the clutch needs changing. Surely that would be a 5 star even 2 star service.

Last edited by satmann; 10-23-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0