E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > First timers correction g35

04-11-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
So my neighbor came up to me one day, actually he came up to when I was working on the M3 I posted a couple weeks ago. Anyways he came up to and asked me how I get the cars so clean and if I would show him how to do it. I thought to myself i'm no pro but I dont mind sharing the knowledgr that I know. After all knowledge is free. So what we have here is a 2003 Infinite G35. Beautiful car. Nicely modded. So this is more of a learning phase correction we definitely weren't looking for perfection but I say we came close.

Interior:
Leather Master Strong
Lexol Leather Cleaner
Lexol Leather Conditioner
Folex

Wheels:
Meguair Gold Class
Iron Cut

Tires:
Simple Green
Chemical Guys APC
Eagle One Tire Shine

Exterior:
Meguiars 105 Purple Wool
Meguiars 205 White Pad
HD Poxy Red Pad

We didn't get to use anything finer then 205. His budget wouldn't allow. Expected for first timer. These items do add up.

Glass:
Invisible Glass
RainX

Here is how the car arrived

On to the tires

xhaust

Debadging

Wash Time (MTM Hydro)

He finally picked up some tape

Before

After

One pass in

She is ready

Time to wash her off

OOOOOhhh Pretty

Student applying HD Poxy

Finished Results

His dad wanted in on te fun

Check out those tips

Me and my student (me on right)

Next project, his dads 2006 Dodge Dakota

Please critique

Last edited by lopealle; 04-11-2012 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Mendossa
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Great write-up
Also, kudos for passing your knowledge on

What soap did you use to create this fantastic suds blanket? And for polishing the exhaust tips? My exhaust tips (PE) look like they've been through a war and I fear I'll waste a lot of time on them when I detail the car next month.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
3_runner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi

You may not consider yourself a pro, but you do great work. The only criticism I can give is hit the debadged area with goo-gone and maybe clay after. I can still see the the Infinite logo in the back. Keep it coming!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendossa View Post
Great write-up
Also, kudos for passing your knowledge on

What soap did you use to create this fantastic suds blanket? And for polishing the exhaust tips? My exhaust tips (PE) look like they've been through a war and I fear I'll waste a lot of time on them when I detail the car next month.
I think any car wash soap give you great suds. I dont buy the expensive ones. We used Meguiars Gold Class and Zymol both sold at your Walmart. The exhaust we used an all pupose cleaner and 0000 steel wool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_runner View Post
You may not consider yourself a pro, but you do great work. The only criticism I can give is hit the debadged area with goo-gone and maybe clay after. I can still see the the Infinite logo in the back. Keep it coming!
Thanks. Its funny tou mention thevdebadging. Thats actually clear coat. His car was repainted and there like a ton of orange peel on that part of the trunk. He said he is just going to put it back on. I told this is a good time to get those wet sanding skills to standard. We used Goo Gone and clay
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Im waiting for Envious Eric to get his ass in here and judge. That dude has pretty much showed me the way as far as detailing.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

hahaha, looks good man, much better than before!!! I havent used PFW on the PC ever, but obviously it seems to have worked out just fine! i usually use surbuf or orange with 105

a final step on reds and black AFTER 205 will no doubt amp the gloss, increase the wetness, and give it a more deep look!

Thanks for the kudos!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Thanks all the regulars (non pros) left looks like its just me and you. Yea dude we had to make due with what we had. Are PFW not supposed to be used on PCs? I personally think 205 clears up enough on red and black. Extra step just always seems necessary.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
Thanks all the regulars (non pros) left looks like its just me and you. Yea dude we had to make due with what we had. Are PFW not supposed to be used on PCs? I personally think 205 clears up enough on red and black. Extra step just always seems necessary.
PFW doesn't work as good on a PC versus a Rotary because it works by using it's longer fibers which on a rotary work effectively due to the fixed motion and heat generated, but with the way a DA rotates/spins or whatever the technical term for it is the fibers are kinda wiggling around versus rotating and they basically cause a point of resistance on the surface and negatively impact the overall motion. Take a long string and move it in a circle on your desk and then try to mimic the way a PC spins with that same string, you'll see that during some of the movements the string will be on one spot because of the surface resistance but your hand will be moving.

Does that make sense? Regardless of this plenty of people use PFW with PC and it works fine, some even claim they get great cut and it finishes down a lot better than the surbuf... haven't tried it though so can't comment.

I would switch to the surbuf, especially if your using 205 after, it'll clean things right up!

As for the 205 finishing down good enough... in the eyes of many people the 205 will finish down HEAVENLY and people will be in ouuuu's and aahhhh's at your car haha and 99.5% of the people who see your car will fall in this category and your car will have a better finish than 99% of the cars around you as well.
But when you start becoming an intense OCD detailer there's always room for more haha, but having said that finishing down with some 85rd on a black car makes an INSTANT difference that you can see without a doubt.

If my options were:
1) Good correction + jewel with 85rd
2) 100% correction + finish with 205

I would take the lesser degree of paint correction in exchange for that unbelievably glossssy finish on a black car that you can get with the 85rd or something like 3m.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Nice work dude. Badge back on for sure haha
      04-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
PFW doesn't work as good on a PC versus a Rotary because it works by using it's longer fibers which on a rotary work effectively due to the fixed motion and heat generated, but with the way a DA rotates/spins or whatever the technical term for it is the fibers are kinda wiggling around versus rotating and they basically cause a point of resistance on the surface and negatively impact the overall motion. Take a long string and move it in a circle on your desk and then try to mimic the way a PC spins with that same string, you'll see that during some of the movements the string will be on one spot because of the surface resistance but your hand will be moving.

Does that make sense? Regardless of this plenty of people use PFW with PC and it works fine, some even claim they get great cut and it finishes down a lot better than the surbuf... haven't tried it though so can't comment.

I would switch to the surbuf, especially if your using 205 after, it'll clean things right up!

As for the 205 finishing down good enough... in the eyes of many people the 205 will finish down HEAVENLY and people will be in ouuuu's and aahhhh's at your car haha and 99.5% of the people who see your car will fall in this category and your car will have a better finish than 99% of the cars around you as well.
But when you start becoming an intense OCD detailer there's always room for more haha, but having said that finishing down with some 85rd on a black car makes an INSTANT difference that you can see without a doubt.

If my options were:
1) Good correction + jewel with 85rd
2) 100% correction + finish with 205

I would take the lesser degree of paint correction in exchange for that unbelievably glossssy finish on a black car that you can get with the 85rd or something like 3m.
Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX