E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Update: Valve Cove Gasket Leak

07-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Update: Valve Cove Gasket Leak

As title says I had the oil leak from underneath of valve cove in injector/ spark plug area. I took the cove off and the gasket was in one peace and looked ok to my surprise. I cleaned valve cover and cylinder head and installed new gasket. Torqued the bolts to 10 Nm in cris-cross pattern. Want for a drive and have noticed that now I have a leak in the back left side of the engine by the firewall. So, I took it a part again suspecting that maybe gasket folded in the back during reassembling but turned out it was in place. So, I have cleaned it, applied some Permatex High-Temp RTV in half moon area in the bottom back corner. Reassembled everything together, started the car, let it idle for a few minutes and noticed that the leak is present in exact same spot This time I torqued VC bolts to 8.5 Nm per Bentley manual. I read that in our cars there is no need to apply RTV onto the gasket. Am I missing something? This shouldn’t be this difficult. Did it happen to any of you guys? You input would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Last edited by Monster900; 07-09-2013 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Crack?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Crack?
I checked for cracks and didn't find any. The cove was dry.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
dsm25psi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335I, IS300, E30

You have to be very careful when you are install the valve cover back on the head because you can roll the gasket on the back not even knowing you did till you run the car see the leak. It happens all the time if you never done one before. You do not need any RTV.
evo's sold
335i sold
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm25psi View Post
You have to be very careful when you are install the valve cover back on the head because you can roll the gasket on the back not even knowing you did till you run the car see the leak. It happens all the time if you never done one before. You do not need any RTV.
I did check it and it looked good. What is the best way to insure that gasket sits in place? Are you sure about RTV? I don't want to do this again finding out that it leaks. How do you insure that gasket stays in grooves when installing? I was thinking to use some RTV in few spots aseptically in the back.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep

Guys,

Any more ideas. I am stock here
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm25psi View Post
This is exactly what happened when my indy did mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep

Update: During replacement of the valve cover gasket I have decided to upgrade PCV valve to the aftermarket one that can be purchased from one of the vendors on this forum. After doing more research I came to the conclusion that the only part that I have replaced besides VC gasket was the PCV valve and remembered that this valve was allowing air to pass through both ways, one way was easier then other but never the less OE valve wouldn't allow to pass any air back to the crank case as this is a one way valve by design. By allowing air back into the crank case especially for turbocharged engines it will create positive pressure in the crank case and by doing so it might start pushing air and oil thought the seal as VC seal is not pressure tight.

Conclusion: After going back to OE PCV valve oil leak has disappeared. I still would like to change PCV valve in regular intervals but BMW does not offer one for our cars (only in combination with the new valve cover) and I have lost faith in aftermarket product. Keep your PCV valve in good working condition by taking it out and cleaning it on regular bases and you shouldn't have any problems as that might be the one of the reason why so many of us are blowing VC gaskets prematurely.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

damn i have a new valve cover, gasket and pcv valve to go in, i hope i dont get the same issue!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster900 View Post
Update: During replacement of the valve cover gasket I have decided to upgrade PCV valve to the aftermarket one that can be purchased from one of the vendors on this forum. After doing more research I came to the conclusion that the only part that I have replaced besides VC gasket was the PCV valve and remembered that this valve was allowing air to pass through both ways, one way was easier then other but never the less OE valve wouldn't allow to pass any air back to the crank case as this is a one way valve by design. By allowing air back into the crank case especially for turbocharged engines it will create positive pressure in the crank case and by doing so it might start pushing air and oil thought the seal as VC seal is not pressure tight.

Conclusion: After going back to OE PCV valve oil leak has disappeared. I still would like to change PCV valve in regular intervals but BMW does not offer one for our cars (only in combination with the new valve cover) and I have lost faith in aftermarket product. Keep your PCV valve in good working condition by taking it out and cleaning it on regular bases and you shouldn't have any problems as that might be the one of the reason why so many of us are blowing VC gaskets prematurely.
I am going to disagree....you valve cover is more than likely clogged, the upgraded valve is not a weak POS....this puts pressurized your crank case causing your valve cover to leak. I have the upgraded valve and this has never happened to me. How many miles on your car?
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:

I am going to disagree....you valve cover is more than likely clogged, the upgraded valve is not a weak POS....this puts pressurized your crank case causing your valve cover to leak. I have the upgraded valve and this has never happened to me. How many miles on your car?
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
I never said that "upgraded" valve is POS, just the one I have received is. Car has 60k miles on it and the VC is clean as a weasel in and out. After reinstalling OE valve leak completely disappeared. So, if it wasn't the valve than it must of been magic On more serious, note the valve I received is defiantly faulty as I can pass air though in both direction without much of effort. In OE valve slight pressure from the opposite side would close the valve shut.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
damn i have a new valve cover, gasket and pcv valve to go in, i hope i dont get the same issue!
It is up to you, but if you are installing new VC which has brand new OE PCV valve I wouldn't mess with it. As they say "if ain't broken don't fix it". And if you are really keen on installing aftermarket PVC make sure that it closes with the slightest amount of air pressure otherwise you will be blowing oil through the gasket as I did. I wasted 6 hrs to take VC of for the second time and second guessing myself if I did everything correctly to find out that the PCV valve was the issue all along.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
robc1976
DIYER
Rep

Quote:
I never said that "upgraded" valve is POS, just the one I have received is. Car has 60k miles on it and the VC is clean as a weasel in and out. After reinstalling OE valve leak completely disappeared. So, if it wasn't the valve than it must of been magic On more serious, note the valve I received is defiantly faulty as I can pass air though in both direction without much of effort. In OE valve slight pressure from the opposite side would close the valve shut.
The OEM valve is pos....if your valve is faulty then yes I could see this issue, but this is a VERY rare issue. A lot of people run upgraded valves and have not had this issue. It is a great upgrade if it is the valve I am thinking of.
Appreciate 0