E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Eibach Pro Kit or H&R Spings? - 2006 E92 SE 335D

07-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Question Eibach Pro Kit or H&R Spings? - 2006 E92 SE 335D

Guys,

*Puts on flame suit*... Done a lot of searching and reading today and I'm happy to say that I'm almost decided on what route to take but before I pull the trigger, wanted to get some advice. Again, apologies this has been beaten to death but for the benefit of those who are modding for the first time such as myself and having only taken ownership of my 335D Coupe last week..

I need to clear / minimise the gap between the arch and the wheel and wonder what is the best option between Eibach Pro Kit and H&R Springs? Funds do not permit KW coilovers and it seems the aforementioned two variants are the most popular this side of the pond.

My research tells me that Eibach offers smoother ride whilst not as low a drop when compared to the H&R, which offers a more harsh ride. Now given I plan to stick with my Potenza RfTs and I don't want to have issues of rubbing, neither do I want slammed look, this is a car which is used for Daily Drive so comfort is a must. Having said that, I don't want to find that dropping on Eibach's still isn't low enough.

All I'm really looking for is a maximum drop without rubbing or rolling fenders whilst maintaing good quality ride - inevitably whichever route I take will mean a less comfrotable ride to what I'm on ATM ... Stock everything (SE 2006 335D E92 on OEM 230 Twisted Alloys - Thread here......)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712744

This afternoon my heart was saying H&R + Konis but.... will this be comfortable on RFTs or would you guys (given my requirements) suggest going for Eibach Pro Kit whilst leaving the stock absorbers? Car has covered 43.5k mileage so under average for it's age.

I mean is there anything that fits my bill, i.e. Maximum drop for a pleasing look to the eye whilst retaining a decent level of comfort (I don't mind it being a little harsher than the 335 x but nothing dirty slammed!).

Thanks all,

Sam
      07-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Bump
      07-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Honestly I did the whole strut and springs upgrades ad then ended up with kw coilovers. It rode way better for not that much more money. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I can verify your research. The H&Rs are less compliant/daily driver friendly than the eibachs. While the eibachs don't go as low, the rears on the H&Rs will be tucked while the fronts are not.

If you want max drop, go H&R. But especially with RFTs, it's going to ride like garbage, particularly if you haven't upgraded your struts/shocks.

My honest advice to you, is to wait till you can replace the struts and shocks with this upgrade. From what I've read, you'll end up so unhappy with the ride, you'll just end up doing it anyways, and end up paying twice for the labor. Your struts are past their useful life at 40k mi (really before that), so when you stress that valving by leaving it always under compression, even if they're not already partially toast, they'll blow soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
I can verify your research. The H&Rs are less compliant/daily driver friendly than the eibachs. While the eibachs don't go as low, the rears on the H&Rs will be tucked while the fronts are not.

If you want max drop, go H&R. But especially with RFTs, it's going to ride like garbage, particularly if you haven't upgraded your struts/shocks.

My honest advice to you, is to wait till you can replace the struts and shocks with this upgrade. From what I've read, you'll end up so unhappy with the ride, you'll just end up doing it anyways, and end up paying twice for the labor. Your struts are past their useful life at 40k mi (really before that), so when you stress that valving by leaving it always under compression, even if they're not already partially toast, they'll blow soon.
Thanks for that buddy. So would you say go for eibachs and koni yellows? I just can't seem to justify spending almost £1100 on kw v2! Should I even be looking at kw v1? I never plan to track my car as I'm not really into that tbh.

Just want a nice low tucked / clean / flush example of an e92...
      07-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
udm328i
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [9.00]
eibach pro system or eibach pro street s...
      07-10-2012, 03:07 AM   #7
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTDOG View Post
Ok .. Still mad expensive but worth looking into.. What's Pro System? Are there other names for this as I'm getting different returns when searching?

Aim is to get as aggressive a look as possible without rubbing and still be fit for daily drive. Sorry but I'm just getting into modding and still a beginner.

IF I do go down the Pro Kit Spring option, what shocks would you guys suggest? I'm happy to spend a little bit more to do it all at once but spending close to £1k on parts alone is crazy esp if I don't plan on tracking the car whatsoever.

Sam.
      07-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Thanks for that buddy. So would you say go for eibachs and koni yellows? I just can't seem to justify spending almost £1100 on kw v2! Should I even be looking at kw v1? I never plan to track my car as I'm not really into that tbh.

Just want a nice low tucked / clean / flush example of an e92...
If you're never going to track, coilovers are almost certainly overkill, and bring another host of non-daily driver things to think about (maintenance, adjustability, etc.) While there are certainly some enthusiasts that won't track, or will minimally track that will be happy with them, it sounds like you're probably not there.

I think the konis and the bilsteins both have good reputations. My friend with an '11 e92 had some trouble dialing in the adjustment on the konis, and you have to jack the car up to adjust the rears which I thought was a pain in the ass (on other cars, I've had the ability to just adjust remotely, or in the trunk on top of the mount, which made it much more worthwhile), but if you want some control over dampening/rebound, the konis are your best bet.

The bilsteins are more of an install and forget it program. I chose them just because I like the bilstein brand better, and didn't want/need adjustability. It probably doesn't mean much, but BMW (and other high end cars) have used Bilstein as OE, which offered me some comfort.

I'm not a fan of the H&R sports, so I'd pair eibachs with either the bilsteins or konis, depending on your adjustability needs. I think they're both reputable brands, and will perform well. You won't have the tucked/slammed look, but it's so much better than stock. If you're okay with sacraficing a bit on the comfort side (bumps, cracks and joints are a bit more jarring with the H&Rs), and you really want the dropped look, then go H&R. I have to admit, my friend's '11 e92 looks really good. It just wasn't practicle for me given how much I drive, Boston roads, and the fact I have a wife that needs to sit shotgun.

This shot is before it's totally settled, but you'll get the idea.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 07-10-2012 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

That's sound advice, could you tell me which Koni's and Bilsteins you'd recommend i.e name of products? Sorry, there's so much out there I wanna' be sure.

Also, I'm POTENTIALLY considering entry level coilovers to address the ride height / adjustability if and when I ever want to. Again, entry level speaking and not spending much.. which 2-3 would you shortlist (see link) given my above criterion (i.e. Good enough drop to clear arch gap but not compromising too much on the comfort - I will be looking to put 10mm or 12mm spacers all around too).

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...y=coiloverkits

Thanks! Sam.
      07-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
The KW V1s get pretty good reviews, but I don't haven any first hand experience with coilovers on this car. Based on what I've read, that's probably where I'd start if I were going that route. Watch for reports of corrosion. Some brands had issues where bolts and other componants seized up on them.

THe bilsteins you want are the Bilstein Sports (NOT HDs - which are for stock ride height replacement only). The konis are the koni yellows.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
If you're never going to track, coilovers are almost certainly overkill, and bring another host of non-daily driver things to think about (maintenance, adjustability, etc.) While there are certainly some enthusiasts that won't track, or will minimally track that will be happy with them, it sounds like you're probably not there.

I think the konis and the bilsteins both have good reputations. My friend with an '11 e92 had some trouble dialing in the adjustment on the konis, and you have to jack the car up to adjust the rears which I thought was a pain in the ass (on other cars, I've had the ability to just adjust remotely, or in the trunk on top of the mount, which made it much more worthwhile), but if you want some control over dampening/rebound, the konis are your best bet.

The bilsteins are more of an install and forget it program. I chose them just because I like the bilstein brand better, and didn't want/need adjustability. It probably doesn't mean much, but BMW (and other high end cars) have used Bilstein as OE, which offered me some comfort.

I'm not a fan of the H&R sports, so I'd pair eibachs with either the bilsteins or konis, depending on your adjustability needs. I think they're both reputable brands, and will perform well. You won't have the tucked/slammed look, but it's so much better than stock. If you're okay with sacraficing a bit on the comfort side (bumps, cracks and joints are a bit more jarring with the H&Rs), and you really want the dropped look, then go H&R. I have to admit, my friend's '11 e92 looks really good. It just wasn't practicle for me given how much I drive, Boston roads, and the fact I have a wife that needs to sit shotgun.

This shot is before it's totally settled, but you'll get the idea.

Good advise.

Koni FSD's and Eibach Pro's should pair well together. The set-up will provide a lower than stock (not slammed) ride height with a marginally stiffer ride, while mitigating body roll and squating under acceleration.

FWIW, I Have EPK springs and the old BMW performance shocks.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Good advise.

Koni FSD's and Eibach Pro's should pair well together. The set-up will provide a lower than stock (not slammed) ride height with a marginally stiffer ride, while mitigating body roll and squating under acceleration.

FWIW, I Have EPK springs and the old BMW performance shocks.

Does your EPK springs and old stock shocks bode well together? Could you attach a couple of pics of it's stance if possible?

I'm so bloodeh spoilt for choice. I don't want to spend more than £600 and idealyl, less the better.

Some people say Springs alone is ok if I don't plan to track. Other say springs alone will wear the stock shocks quicker (really? How quickly? How many more mileage?!), some people say go coilovers if you're gonna' do the change... and then with coil overs.... so many choices, Apex, BC, ST, Bilstein.......

Defo don't want slammed look... but enough to significantly minimise the wheel gap. Curently, there's 3 finger gap in the front and two in the back. I'd like both ends to be about 1 finger gap - hopefulyl this won't cause any rubbing?!
      07-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
KN| BMW
Lieutenant
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: E90LCI to GTRS5 WideBody M3

I'm running Koni FSD and Eibach Prokit Spring and I realized that my decision was right! I love them since they give an outstanding comfort level while providing a good wheels gaps.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by findanemo View Post
Im running Koni FSD and Eibach Prokit Spring and I realized that my decision is right! I love them since they give an outstanding comfort level while providing a good wheels gaps
That's what I read most places. Would you say this set up you have is better than say a set of APEX RDX Coilovers?

Would you mind putting up a few pics of your car's stance so I can see them and get a better feel for the look, please?

Thanks very much!
      07-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Go H&R sport. For the price you'll love it. Ride quality isn't really any different than stock IMO. Less body role is a + in my book but I guess not to other people. Yes the car rides slightly bumpier but people are making it sound way worse then it actually is.
      07-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #16
KN| BMW
Lieutenant
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: E90LCI to GTRS5 WideBody M3

My car is on Wide Body Project so i cant take a good photos now because the painting aint so good.

In my country, the road condition is so bad so they are best choice for me. However, if you wanna have a lower wheels gaps stance, go for Koni yellow and HR sport.. They are good combo as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does your EPK springs and old stock shocks bode well together? Could you attach a couple of pics of it's stance if possible?

I'm so bloodeh spoilt for choice. I don't want to spend more than £600 and idealyl, less the better.

Some people say Springs alone is ok if I don't plan to track. Other say springs alone will wear the stock shocks quicker (really? How quickly? How many more mileage?!), some people say go coilovers if you're gonna' do the change... and then with coil overs.... so many choices, Apex, BC, ST, Bilstein.......

Defo don't want slammed look... but enough to significantly minimise the wheel gap. Curently, there's 3 finger gap in the front and two in the back. I'd like both ends to be about 1 finger gap - hopefulyl this won't cause any rubbing?!
It depends what the springs are rated at by comparison with what the shocks are designed to handle. Pairing springs with the wrong shocks could make you miserable driving -- it might be fine at first but it will wear on you over time.

If your shocks are ZSP shocks then the EPK springs should do okay with them since the spring rate of the EPK springs is similar to that of the OEM ZSP springs. H&R springs have a higher spring rate than EPK springs so paring them with stock shocks (zsp or not) will compromise ride quality. Personally I would not pair EPK springs with non-ZSP shocks.

Here are some pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Are these pics of you car - with stock shocks and EPK? If so, it looks amazing!

I'd say I'd be really thrilled with that look..

How is the ride? Also, how can I tell if I have ZSP shocks without getting under the car lol?
      07-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are these pics of you car - with stock shocks and EPK? If so, it looks amazing!

I'd say I'd be really thrilled with that look..

How is the ride? Also, how can I tell if I have ZSP shocks without getting under the car lol?
Yes that is my car w/EPK springs and BMW performance shocks.

The ride is stock-like albeit slightly stiffer, w/significantly less body roll and squating during acceleration. It is very compliant and relatively comfortable for daily driving.

Does your car have the sports package (zsp)? If so, you have zsp shocks.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #20
udm328i
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTDOG View Post
Ok .. Still mad expensive but worth looking into.. What's Pro System? Are there other names for this as I'm getting different returns when searching?

Aim is to get as aggressive a look as possible without rubbing and still be fit for daily drive. Sorry but I'm just getting into modding and still a beginner.

IF I do go down the Pro Kit Spring option, what shocks would you guys suggest? I'm happy to spend a little bit more to do it all at once but spending close to £1k on parts alone is crazy esp if I don't plan on tracking the car whatsoever.

Sam.
pro system is the pro kit with matching eibach shocks, the shocks are technically made by bilstein but labeled eibach. I realized this when looking at the shock itself, there was a small little metal bilstein stamp on the shock body, and a eibach sticker. I think I have some pics of this if you go to my profile page. But the setup is really good, handles great and is very comfortable, I switched to the eibach pro street s coil overs only because I wanted a very aggressive drop, btw these co's were only like a $1000, great price for a great product, I bought them on tire rack
      07-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #21
Gdoute90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
It depends what the springs are rated at by comparison with what the shocks are designed to handle. Pairing springs with the wrong shocks could make you miserable driving -- it might be fine at first but it will wear on you over time.

If your shocks are ZSP shocks then the EPK springs should do okay with them since the spring rate of the EPK springs is similar to that of the OEM ZSP springs. H&R springs have a higher spring rate than EPK springs so paring them with stock shocks (zsp or not) will compromise ride quality. Personally I would not pair EPK springs with non-ZSP shocks.

Here are some pictures.
Wow that looks good, what's the specs on your wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #22
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

CSSNMS: That Stance looks sick bro! I'm just reading everywhere that you get what you pay for and springs alone will not suffice... which is the only thing that's putting me off from buying the Eibach Pro Kit. The Eibach Coils are little over budget and so are KW coils ... personally, for my daily drive of around 50 miles p/day, coils would be an overkill. I'm not looking for a slammed look either, just a neat drop to make it pleasing for the eye - you know what I mean?

I'm def not planning on tracking the car whatsoever. With this in mind, are springs / shocks alone good enough?

Would you say get H&R Springs with decent shock to get a lowered drop and maintain comfort to some extent OR.. get Eibach Pro Kit for a modest drop when comared to H&R and stick with original shocks...???

Only problem I may see is that the Eibach's drop (as many people have complained) is not what they expected, but looking at your's it perfect I'd say.. esp on RFTs and DD.

What do you suggest as top 3/4 from these coilover kits and top 3/4 springs..?

Coilover Link:
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...y=coiloverkits

Spring Link:
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...oweringsprings

and strangely, what's the difference betwwen coilover kits and suspension kits (see final 3rd link below)

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...suspensionkits

P.S. I have the SE 335D Coupe (E92) so not sure if ZSP is ruled out - any other way to check and whether these may differ to the ones you guys have in the States, seeing as I'm in the UK?

Remembering I'm on 19" OEM Alloys...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712744
.. and plan on sticking with RFTs until all are worn out, which doesn't seem likely in the next 6-12 months...

Thanks again.