E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > TV Activation on USA 2006 330xi I drive

01-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
sricca
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi

TV Activation on USA 2006 330xi I drive

Does anyone have an in depth answer on the issue of OEM TV activation? In Europe they have an OEM TV tuner that can be installed in an e90. There are tools that can plug into the cars can bus and activate the TV function in the Idrive menu so it then shows TV as a selection up where FM SAT AUX is . I know US BMW dealers have told me there is no way to program this because the codeing does not exist in the US BMW dealer computer. My question is, has anyone in the us tried to buy one of these can bus tools that turn on the TV function in the Idrive Menu?
I know just activation of the Idrive to look for the tuner is only one small step. I have a dension gateway500 with the AVR unit. My car had the MP3 cd changer codeing so this unit works fine. The avr unit does 2 things. It passes the Ipod video menu into the idrive and opens the ipod to video functions. The avr unit comes with a Nav unit harness that in concept will fool a Nav unit (programmed for TV tuner) to think the OEM TV Tuner is present and pass the video from the ipod into the video in pins on the nav unit and when TV is selected on the idrive show the video in proper 16:9 without blanking out the right side of the idrive screen that shows nav map. The Avr unit works well for rear seat installed LCDs. I have my ipod loaded with about 80 movies and its great for thr kids to have all movie selections come up on the idrive. I would like to open the full funtions with the idrive TV function to show the Movies on the nav screen. I know about the LVDS units and I don't wan't to go that way. Any more info would help Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sricca View Post
Does anyone have an in depth answer on the issue of OEM TV activation? In Europe they have an OEM TV tuner that can be installed in an e90. There are tools that can plug into the cars can bus and activate the TV function in the Idrive menu so it then shows TV as a selection up where FM SAT AUX is . I know US BMW dealers have told me there is no way to program this because the codeing does not exist in the US BMW dealer computer. My question is, has anyone in the us tried to buy one of these can bus tools that turn on the TV function in the Idrive Menu?
I know just activation of the Idrive to look for the tuner is only one small step. I have a dension gateway500 with the AVR unit. My car had the MP3 cd changer codeing so this unit works fine. The avr unit does 2 things. It passes the Ipod video menu into the idrive and opens the ipod to video functions. The avr unit comes with a Nav unit harness that in concept will fool a Nav unit (programmed for TV tuner) to think the OEM TV Tuner is present and pass the video from the ipod into the video in pins on the nav unit and when TV is selected on the idrive show the video in proper 16:9 without blanking out the right side of the idrive screen that shows nav map. The Avr unit works well for rear seat installed LCDs. I have my ipod loaded with about 80 movies and its great for thr kids to have all movie selections come up on the idrive. I would like to open the full funtions with the idrive TV function to show the Movies on the nav screen. I know about the LVDS units and I don't wan't to go that way. Any more info would help Thanks
I have a Dension AVR too. I enabled TV function using NCS - I get the "TV" function in the menu but only got a black screen, but audio works fine. Since I accidentally ripped some wires out of the connector (do yourself a favor and pop open the AVR and put a zip-tie on the inner wire as a strain relief), I bought ANOTHER AVR, thinking the broken wires were the problem. I still get a black screen and audio. I've put the project on hold since trying to do the CIC retrofit.

To answer your question, someone with specialized tools (not the dealer), or a pop-in device (http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-TV-TUNER-ACT...item2a04105eb7 ??) that changes the coding is the only way I know how to enable TV function in the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sricca View Post
US and EU digital signals are on much different frequencies - the tuner will not work in the US.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
battlehawk1025
battlehawk1025
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335XI 6mt, SL 65 , M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
I have a Dension AVR too. I enabled TV function using NCS - I get the "TV" function in the menu but only got a black screen, but audio works fine. Since I accidentally ripped some wires out of the connector (do yourself a favor and pop open the AVR and put a zip-tie on the inner wire as a strain relief), I bought ANOTHER AVR, thinking the broken wires were the problem. I still get a black screen and audio. I've put the project on hold since trying to do the CIC retrofit.

To answer your question, someone with specialized tools (not the dealer), or a pop-in device (http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-TV-TUNER-ACT...item2a04105eb7 ??) that changes the coding is the only way I know how to enable TV function in the U.S.
One question whats the NCS
thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Its a BMW engineering tool. (all in German and certainly not for the masses)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
Patsfan123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

ATSC (US Digital) does not work when moving, and NTSC is dead so there is no point even if the tuner was in the car and did work.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't think SRICCA was ever talking about digital (or analog) tv in the car - he just wanted to enable "TV function" so the Dension AVR would work.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
Tescoolman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330xd Touring

Quote:
I don't think SRICCA was ever talking about digital (or analog) tv in the car - he just wanted to enable "TV function" so the Dension AVR would work.
So does this couple BMW TV TUNER ACTIVATOR and Dension AVR work or not to plug iPhone and display movies ?

T.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Tescoolman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330xd Touring

Quote:
Its a BMW engineering tool. (all in German and certainly not for the masses)
is it a hardware component and all the works or a CD to insert or what?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
jay77
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535D

Quote:

Hi
How did you resolve this? I seem to have the same problem
I've coded the TV option using NCS and can select the "TV option" in the Idrive, I get sound from the Dension 500 for mp3, but just the black screen and audio when selecting a video.

Any pointers on how to resolve this would be much appreciated..

Regards

Jay
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 04:46 AM   #11
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay77 View Post
Hi
How did you resolve this? I seem to have the same problem
I've coded the TV option using NCS and can select the "TV option" in the Idrive, I get sound from the Dension 500 for mp3, but just the black screen and audio when selecting a video.

Any pointers on how to resolve this would be much appreciated..

Regards

Jay
I was never able to resolve the problem, even after having someone very aware of "TV activation" enabling the right things in the software (beyond just VO options I believe). Anyway, I removed and sold the Dension, as I retrofitted the 2nd-gen i-drive and Dension couldn't tell me for sure that it would work with the new i-drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #12
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tescoolman View Post
is it a hardware component and all the works or a CD to insert or what?
Its a hardware component, however, I have yet to see one that works in the U.S. You may have much better luck in the EU. Its supposed to allow movies from ipod (and I would imagine iphone) to show on the i-drive screen (which I was very excited about), but all I ever got was audio and black screen. Big disappointment with very poor support from Dension.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
US television transmissions are now digital, not aware of anyway to capture that in your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 03:41 AM   #14
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
US television transmissions are now digital, not aware of anyway to capture that in your car.
Yeah, we know. However, the Dension promised to play ipod video on the i-drive screen, which none of US guys could get to work. "TV function" had to be enabled on the cars to supposedly enable the Dension to display video.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
sricca
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi

Old post but i do have an answer for this

The usa version of the navigation for 2006 ( other years as well) did not have a video card in the unit that would allow a video input. The dension avr had a cool feature never the less. All ipod adapters never had a selection on the nav for movies. This avr unit allows the dension gateway 500 to show a movies selection on the nav screen. It also would tell your ipod / iphone with 30pin plug that the dension is an approved device for video to play on. The avr unit had video rca outputs that can go to and lcd screen . I had hooked ot up to rear headrest lcd screens. Yes you were unable to play ipod movies on the nav screen unless you used an additional unit like a nav tv. But it was fantastic for rear seat entertainment . You were able to load an ipod with music and movies. Then through the idrive select what movies could play on the rear screens. It was a great product that was not advertised properly for us market.
Appreciate 0