E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

09-15-2011, 04:37 AM   #2509
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

Z4 35is support yet?!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #2510
Concorde
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i lci

Quick question here : could I buy a second hand AP from a subaru or mazda owner and use it to flash my car ? I guess not, but I'd like to know why ...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #2511
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
Quick question here : could I buy a second hand AP from a subaru or mazda owner and use it to flash my car ? I guess not, but I'd like to know why ...

Thanks
No. Because? You drive a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #2512
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

To all BMW AP users:

Before updating your AccessPORT, please delete the ROM file from your file listing in AP Manager. Please note, this will not delete your stock ROM file that the AP uses during the un-install process. Once this is deleted, you should now have enough memory and space on the AP and no problems updating the firmware on your AccessPORT.

If your AccessPORT is currently stuck in Updating mode, please connect to AP Manager, click on the Updates tab, and press Ctrl+Shift+F11. This will allow you to exit updating mode. Then, delete your ROM, check the "Force update" box, and do the update again.

As always, if you have any other questions, please call us at 866-922-3059 or email us at tech@cobbtuning.com

Ian
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #2513
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
I had no idea I'd even try Cobb back then when Shiv was here...I thought that a flash wouldn't be compatible with the wastegates on my car and boost control would be foooked...it was by complete chance that I got a great price on an AP, took the trial to give it a whirl...

after running and seeing how SOLID AFRs looked at part throttle shocked me immediately!

That was the major reason for it...piggies can't come even close to flash AFR or timing control...on top of everything Cobb really surprised me with the depth of logging capabilities which, when you're as anal retentive as me about how the car runs, is VERY important..
Super lean (high teens) AFR's under partial throttle, to the point the car would stutter (so it was noticeable while driving - not just on the AFR gauge), has been my life story this year...

At least your success story is a good backup plan if my new Procede doesn't work out. I'll miss my boost and AFR gauges though on the dash. I wish Cobb would incorporate them like the piggies have.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #2514
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Super lean (high teens) AFR's under partial throttle, to the point the car would stutter (so it was noticeable while driving - not just on the AFR gauge), has been my life story this year...

At least your success story is a good backup plan if my new Procede doesn't work out. I'll miss my boost and AFR gauges though on the dash. I wish Cobb would incorporate them like the piggies have.
I'd sell the procede and get a jb4 instead as you can run it totally passthrough AND keep the gauges + shift light + meth integration going while running any of the Cobb maps and waiting on Cobb to deliver the rest...procede won't give you all this without actually running a map as it has no such mode/map..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #2515
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...I'll miss my boost and AFR gauges though on the dash. I wish Cobb would incorporate them like the piggies have.

I would die and go to heaven if the data logging from Cobb was displayed on the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #2516
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Stupid question of the day: I've updated the firmware on the AP... do I need to uninstall and reinstall (which takes considerably longer and drains my dying battery) or can i just load the new maps???
      09-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #2517
NYAWE60
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
I would die and go to heaven if the data logging from Cobb was displayed on the iDrive.
That would be similar to the GTR. . . damn you just put that thought in my head, CURSE YOU
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #2518
uwotm8
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F85 X5M, SL55, 997TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Stupid question of the day: I've updated the firmware on the AP... do I need to uninstall and reinstall (which takes considerably longer and drains my dying battery) or can i just load the new maps???
You should be able to flash the new map over. No need to uninstall/reinstall. The first process just marries the AP to the car and takes longer.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #2519
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60 View Post
That would be similar to the GTR. . . damn you just put that thought in my head, CURSE YOU

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 01:39 AM   #2520
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Someone should make a piggie just for gauges .
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #2521
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:
I'd sell the procede and get a jb4 instead as you can run it totally passthrough AND keep the gauges + shift light + meth integration going while running any of the Cobb maps and waiting on Cobb to deliver the rest...procede won't give you all this without actually running a map as it has no such mode/map..
Thanks for reminding me... I'll miss my shift light and beep too!

If I was to sell the Procede though, I'd have a hard time justifying spending $500 on a JB4 just to get the gauges and the shift light. I'm not running meth (and have no short term plans for it unfortunately, and if I was, I like the new Procede setup, though I haven't researched JB4's I have to admit). Not to mention the PITA of install/uninstall under the hood - I still have a year warranty left and I take my time, so it's an hour of work each time.

Has anyone contacted Cobb to see if they are interested / can incorporate the gauges like boost at least into the dash? Or a shift light concept?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #2522
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me... I'll miss my shift light and beep too!

If I was to sell the Procede though, I'd have a hard time justifying spending $500 on a JB4 just to get the gauges and the shift light. I'm not running meth (and have no short term plans for it unfortunately, and if I was, I like the new Procede setup, though I haven't researched JB4's I have to admit). Not to mention the PITA of install/uninstall under the hood - I still have a year warranty left and I take my time, so it's an hour of work each time.

Has anyone contacted Cobb to see if they are interested / can incorporate the gauges like boost at least into the dash? Or a shift light concept?
its expensive for sure and IMHO not worth it but I just offered you some advice on what's "possible" at the moment...

Not sure what Cobb will be doing in terms of other features but the AP already has a shift light feature built into it, you just need to plug it into the obd port and mount the thing somewhere on the vent say and there you go...other features will probably be AP driven as well but who knows, tuning first gimmicks last
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #2523
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
Someone should make a piggie just for gauges .
That idea is being considered by BMS.
      09-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #2524
korben dallas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i MPPK

Quote:
I doubt they will be able to do anything like remapping the gauges (including shift light via turn signals), though the AP itself can function as a shift light if you mount it on your dash. When your shift point is reached the screen will turn red.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #2525
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben dallas View Post
I doubt they will be able to do anything like remapping the gauges (including shift light via turn signals), though the AP itself can function as a shift light if you mount it on your dash. When your shift point is reached the screen will turn red.
Of course they are, they just need to write code for it...all info is right on the canbus, all they need to do is register as a node on the canbus, get all the data and send it over to the gauges which basically have no choice but to move but those are gimmicks and there's some of us that want to run 10s and 11s first on a solid tune
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #2526
korben dallas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Of course they are, they just need to write code for it...all info is right on the canbus, all they need to do is register as a node on the canbus, get all the data and send it over to the gauges which basically have no choice but to move but those are gimmicks and there's some of us that want to run 10s and 11s first on a solid tune
Well, "able to" may have been the wrong choice of words, but I gotta think that there is a decent gap between reading info from the canbus and rewriting tables to changing functionality of components from a flash perspective.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #2527
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Well, "able to" may have been the wrong choice of words, but I gotta think that there is a decent gap between reading info from the canbus and rewriting tables to changing functionality of components from a flash perspective.
Sure, but they could code it into the AP and you just leave it plugged in there's many ways and doing it from inside the DME may be easier/harder, only they know
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #2528
korben dallas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sure, but they could code it into the AP and you just leave it plugged in there's many ways and doing it from inside the DME may be easier/harder, only they know
Sure, with the AP they can do literally anything they want since they developed the hardware and code base in its entirety. Maybe it's possible to change DME functionality either interactively via the AP or statically with a custom firmware flash that includes such logic, but I gotta assume if it was easy some of the other flash guys out there (or cobb for that matter) would have already done it. Not a feature I personally care about either way, the performance of the tune is the most important thing to me, just saying.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #2529
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Sure, with the AP they can do literally anything they want since they developed the hardware and code base in its entirety. Maybe it's possible to change DME functionality either interactively via the AP or statically with a custom firmware flash that includes such logic, but I gotta assume if it was easy some of the other flash guys out there (or cobb for that matter) would have already done it. Not a feature I personally care about either way, the performance of the tune is the most important thing to me, just saying.
everything takes time and has a priority, doesn't mean gauges are hard to do
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #2530
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Iirc, Cobb stated they have unused space in the dme for additional programming. I'm with everyone else though, tune first, gimmicks second.