E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Rock chip& Bumper hole fix before detail?

10-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
Fred_Boosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Question Rock chip& Bumper hole fix before detail?

Hi, guys.

I'm facing a situation that I have couple rock chips on the hood and bumper need to be fixed. Also the car has some stubborn dirt that can't wash off with regular car wash.

So I'm thinking detail the car and fix the rock chips and fill the bumper holes.

Should I detail the car first and do the fix or should I fix the rock chips and fill the bumper holes then detail the car?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
CeeWhizzle
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Detail the car and use claybar to remove the stubborn dirt. And then do the paint touch up after its dried and clean, but don't apply wax/sealant to the area that you're doing the touch ups.

And for filling the bumper holes check this thread out:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584852
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Boosted View Post
Hi, guys.

I'm facing a situation that I have couple rock chips on the hood and bumper need to be fixed. Also the car has some stubborn dirt that can't wash off with regular car wash.

So I'm thinking detail the car and fix the rock chips and fill the bumper holes.

Should I detail the car first and do the fix or should I fix the rock chips and fill the bumper holes then detail the car?

Thanks
It's kind of an odd answer but you'll need to partially detail, then fix the chips and bumper holes, then finish the detail. We normally like to do some level of detailing (if doing 2 stages of polishing, we'll do a compounding stage on the whole car) then fill in paint chips, then finish up the detail job after the paint in the chips cure. Reason being, you're bound to create some marring and scuffing around the paint chip and the bumper hole area, which require some level of detailing.

Hope that helps!
Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

decent work. i looked over your other thread.

Agree with the post above tho.
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0