E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Newbie - Hello!

04-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
LUFC-1919
Rep
Drives: E90 325 M Sport

Newbie - Hello!

Hi all, just thought i'd register on here and say hi.

I've always found car forums pretty useful in the past when changing cars, so here I am.

My name is Matt and I have just purchased a E90 325i M Sport in black.

Theres that many different kit levels so i'll try and explain mine the best I can.

2006 2.5l engine model
Black
Saloon
18 inch m sport alloys
Rear parking sensors
Professional radio with bluetooth and aux port
Half Alcantara seats - partially electric (thats best I can describe them)

Anyway, i'll get some pics up - but in the meantime I just have a couple of questions.

Idle - When cold starting, the idle is mildly eratic. Its by no means bad and on throttle is fine, but it jumps around little for a couple of mins and then sits at just under 600rpm. Had a short google around but couldnt find anything conclusive.

Gear Shift - Seems pretty slick, but reverse needs a good bit of pressure to engage. Not had a BMW before so dont know if this a normal trait.

Radio - When I collected the car, I had a good 2hr drive home in it. Radio works fine, but as I got closer to home the display looked rather rubbish. The pixels became faded and black in areas it should be.
The next time I used the car it was fine, but slowly started to appear again the longer it was on (Climate control lcd was fine)

Service indicator - The garage said they had done a service on the car, and now the indicator reads 16000 miles until the next service. This hasnt gone down yet after about 200 miles. Does it decrease by 1000 mile increments?

General servicing - Have I been correctly informed that I will get a warning for every type of sevice required - i.e - basic oil service, major service etc etc, and is there a service schedule about what things should be changed when (Dont have the manual to hand at the moment)

Clutch - Whats the life expectancy on these?

Thanks all.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

"Radio - When I collected the car, I had a good 2hr drive home in it. Radio works fine, but as I got closer to home the display looked rather rubbish. The pixels became faded and black in areas it should be.
The next time I used the car it was fine, but slowly started to appear again the longer it was on (Climate control lcd was fine)"

Mine does the same. It's the heat that does it, here in FL I can almost never read the middle of the display.

And yes, the service indicator drops by 1k increments.

Last edited by OdomPHD; 04-07-2011 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Hi Matt,

I'm also a Matt. I gant help, but I can say.... Leeds Leeds Leeds!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
buckethead
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 320d msport

hi

the idle could be the start of a coil pack failure i had this just a few seconds on
start from cold for a couple of months then i had 2 coil pack failure
changed all the coil packs and all ok
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
LUFC-1919
Rep
Drives: E90 325 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Hi Matt,

I'm also a Matt. I gant help, but I can say.... Leeds Leeds Leeds!!

Matt
Hahaha.......are you a Leeds fan.

So coil packs.......how hard are they to replace, and how much are we looking at?

Thanks

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
buckethead
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 320d msport

mine where £270 for six fitted

think they are about £30 each some people just replace 1 at a time but if 1 goes and you don't know how old the rest are i would change them all

don't think they are that hard to change as they sit top of they spark plugs there's some vids on youtube

how far away is the spark plug change cos sometimes they break when you need to access the spark plug
Appreciate 0