E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A/C not nearly as cold as my Japanese cars!

09-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #45
spicytofu
Fungineer
Rep
Drives: '11 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJ1970 View Post
This is my biggest complaint here. Super cold going fast. Mediocre going slow.... If this is true, why do they make it disengage? Fuel economy?
no i doubt fuel economy. If they wanted to pursue that, they should disengage it during acceleration. Its probably for engine heating issues or RPMs are too low and the low side might freeze if the pressure is too low.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #46
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

i live in constant 33+C heat with 80% stop and go traffic and my car works fine. Only once did it feel half assed and all i did was bring it to a shop and add some "refrigerant". Car started up and the AC was back to full blast. Love my car

If you want that japanese car a/c feeling and more, i recommend an american car. My dad had multiple american cars; intrepid, sebrings etc. Those cars are freezers...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #47
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

i noticed that too this summer, my car would sit in the garage all day then id run to the grocery store for 10 minutes i come out its hot inside and it doesnt get cold fast, then i go inside my sister 2010 Camry (been sitting in the sun ALL day) i blow the A/C for 3 minutes and its literally freezing in the car. LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #48
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytofu View Post
I think at the stop light, the AC clutch disengages. I was at a long light and noticed the AC air is gotten warmer compared to when Im driving. Put it in neutral and gave it some revs above 1500 and it got cold again.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #49
triger716
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytofu View Post
I think at the stop light, the AC clutch disengages. I was at a long light and noticed the AC air is gotten warmer compared to when Im driving. Put it in neutral and gave it some revs above 1500 and it got cold again.
There is no AC clutch. The compressor is clutchless.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #50
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Denso Air Conditioning

there is lot of ignorance on this forum.
1. the BMW heating and air conditioning unit is Japanese made (Denso). Can be found on many Japanese models used here as examples [ of cars with great air conditioning systems ].
2. there is a not-so-visible function that allows you to increase the air flow...after I purchased my first e90 in 2006 I discovered the car AC air flow was originally set on "low" but only after i went through the O&M manual. Once I switched to "max" it was too cold inside for me so I am on "medium" most of the summer here in NE.
3 If your car is black or of another dark color (like most of the BMW on the streets) of course will heat up seriously when parked in the sun and consequently will need more time to cool off. BMW's have also a larger window area and the windows sit on a lower angle compared with your Mom's Toyota. This will also add to the car inside temperature. For this reason maybe BMW has fitted the car with a timer that will start ventilating the car automatically at a preset time, by doing so reducing the temperature inside the car before you step in.

A good technique, for those who don't know this yet is to start driving with all the windows open by doing so getting rid of the hot air inside. Then close all windows and start the AC, the car will reach a comfortable temperature much faster.

Last edited by RMG; 09-28-2012 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #51
spicytofu
Fungineer
Rep
Drives: '11 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by triger716 View Post
There is no AC clutch. The compressor is clutchless.
So the compressor is always engaged even if the cabin temps reached the desired setting? doesnt make sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #52
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG View Post
2. there is a not-so-visible function that allows you to increase the air flow...after I purchased my first e90 in 2006 I discovered the car AC air flow was originally set on "low" but only after i went through the O&M manual. Once I switched to "max" it was too cold inside for me so I am on "medium" most of the summer here in NE.
3 If your car is black or of another dark color (like most of the BMW on the streets) of course will heat up seriously when parked in the sun and consequently will need more time to cool off. BMW's have also a larger window area and the windows sit on a lower angle compared with your Mom's Toyota. This will also add to the car inside temperature. For this reason maybe BMW has fitted the car with a timer that will start ventilating the car automatically at a preset time, by doing so reducing the temperature inside the car before you step in.

A good technique, for those who don't know this yet is to start driving with all the windows open by doing so getting rid of the hot air inside. Then close all windows and start the AC, the car will reach a comfortable temperature much faster.
Do you seriously believe people don't know these things? Living in New England you must have blazing-hot summers compared to FL & CA. The only thing worse than an ignorant person, is a self-righteous know-it-all who labels everyone else as ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #53
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Am I the only one that whose AC is so cold that I always leave it at 78F? On 60F I have to turn it OFF after like 10 mins because I am actually cold in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #54
Eric SS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Chevy SS Sedan

Quote:
1. the BMW heating and air conditioning unit is Japanese made (Denso). Can be found on many Japanese models used here as examples [ of cars with great air conditioning systems ].

I don't care where the A/C components were made, it can still be put to use differently. And I will restate what I originally did. 2011 335is vs. 2011 G37 coupe that we currently still own so I drive each of them at roughly the same time. Roughly the same size cabin volume. Her interior is BLACK. My interior is OYSTER which is almost white. I don't know for sure but i'll bet the G37 windows sit at a lower angle than my Bimmer. Both cars are black exterior. Her car cools down MUCH faster than mine does.

I've read the manuals and adjusted setting umpteen times. IT DOES NOT GET NEARLY AS COLD AS HERS DOES.

And trust me. In Phoenix summer, if yo udidn't crack yoru windows for a few minutes, you would probably die. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #55
Eric SS
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, and I don't have a sunrrof in my 335is to vent but that is a good idea
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #56
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
IT DOES NOT GET NEARLY AS COLD AS HERS DOES.
....then what is all this fuss about? ...never mind. I will make it easier for you...here is the answer to your problem: trade in your BMW and get yourself Japanese car, everybody will be happier ...cooler...BMW's are not for AZ...BMW are bad cars....you don't like it.... so you should move on. Problem solved! Adios...

Last edited by RMG; 09-28-2012 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #57
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
Do you seriously believe people don't know these things? Living in New England you must have blazing-hot summers compared to FL & CA. The only thing worse than an ignorant person, is a self-righteous know-it-all who labels everyone else as ignorant.
“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #58
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmk392
yeap bmw a/c sucks ..german's just cant make a/c units i guess
Or rubber or plastic
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #59
greg328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 MSport

I'm experiencing a new problem with my 2008 335i coupe. I've had it about 2 years, and it has always blown cold air, from the moment it started up on a cool morning, to starting it in a hot afternoon parking lot. Always cold air, immediately.

This past week, the AC starts out blowing lukewarm air. On a cool morning, first time out of the garage. Every start now, the car begins with lukewarm air out of the vents. After about 10 minutes, the system is blowing cold air, almost as normal.

Anybody have and idea what's going on here?

Greg in Houston
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #60
Eric SS
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
....then what is all this fuss about? ...never mind. I will make it easier for you...here is the answer to your problem: trade in your BMW and get yourself Japanese car, everybody will be happier ...cooler...BMW's are not for AZ...BMW are bad cars....you don't like it.... so you should move on. Problem solved! Adios...
You're the one who started your post with "a lot of ignorance in this thread." I was just responding to let you know that I'm not ignorant. And I love my car so I'm not going to trade it in. My point was that my A/C isn't nearly as cold as my other cars which happen to be Japanese and I wanted to find out if if was an issue with my BMW or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #61
jeffro535
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2019 X3M40

Something to consider is humidity. They seem to do better with 98 degrees and 70% humidity than 110 degrees and 10%. I just think BMW's design doesn't deal with dry heat as well as the Japanese and American ones, regardless of who actually supplies the parts. When I moved from Vegas to Georgia a couple of summers ago, the AC in the E36 went from marginal to blowing ice cubes. The weird thing is the significant other's Honda had the opposite reaction. Now it sucks. I've only had the E92 in the southeast, and it seems fine, but would agree that the E36 gets colder faster.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #62
taranonline
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

In india we get upto 48 degree celsius summer. The e90 has best a/c I have seen including a few japanese, american and korean cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #63
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
You're the one who started your post with "a lot of ignorance in this thread." I was just responding to let you know that I'm not ignorant. And I love my car so I'm not going to trade it in. My point was that my A/C isn't nearly as cold as my other cars which happen to be Japanese and I wanted to find out if if was an issue with my BMW or not.
Quote:
BMW A/C is just junk....
You and a couple of so called BMW owners that jump in at any occasion with thousands of negative posts about BMW ( praising their Japanese competitors) didn't come here to find answers to your pseudo problem but to reinforce a preconceived idea..yours. No constructive discussions... refuting any solutions. In this particular instance forgetting the AC system you're criticizing is...100% Japanese...that's the ignorance I was talking about, ok?
BTW your oyster leather will not keep your interior cooler if you decide ordering a black car while living in the desert. And it will still be a much higher temperature inside your car parked in the desert regardless if outside are 90 or 140 deg so opening all windows for the first 2-3 min of driving to let the hot(-er) air out would help ... and yes, your particular BMW (...if you really own one) does have a technical problem if it's not cooling better than a Nissan, any Nissan...if you truly believe your car (or parts of it) "it's junk" then you should do something about it, wouldn't be that logical?

Last edited by RMG; 09-30-2012 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #64
Stanleywan1211
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i M sport

so did they ever complaint to bmw that the a/c is shitty and get improvements ....
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #65
kE90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i alpine white pre-lci

lol i was actually thinking about my AC and how it sucked...then i came across this thread.
yes i agree the ac on my 08 e90 blows!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #66
bmwfan75
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

06 BMW 325xi -> AC sucks bad on full blast with Denso components -> noted by RMG

07 Honda Accord V6 with 4 times the usage than BMW -> AC gets absolutely freezing on full blast -> same, if not similar Denso components

Bought the BMW for the driving experience, but it would be NICE to have an AC that functions like a Japanese car. Do I hate BMW? Of course not. I use the max button with the temp blending dial all the way to the left and the front facing passenger button selected. I feel more air coming out the top windshield vent than the front facing vents. I'm still sweating 30 minutes after I've been driving.

- did I open all the windows to vent out hot air first?? yes, check.
Appreciate 0