E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > E46 M3 review (nearly) 6 months in..

06-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #23
sives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Saving to get a e46 m3 ;)

hi mate nice car.

i own a e46 318ci at the moment, want to upgrade and the choice has been between a e46 m3 converitble or a 335d coupe, hard choice.

But looking at a 335d due to better fuel economy, this review has just made me go back to the beginning lol, not to be rude but how much did u pay for the m3 and what year plate and mileage.

also whats the pro and cons of both thanks, hard choice mate lol
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #24
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

It depends what you want.

From reading what dxb has said, the M is a lot more focused, raw and easier to control on the limit. Where as the d has a better low down kick and is not raw lol.

I wouldn't get an M vert. Sounds a bit of a contradiction imo.

Also if you're mentioning MPG, an M isn't something you buy for economy.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #25
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Hi mate,

I've had both the cars your looking at, the 335d with a re-map for nearly 3 years and the M3 (standard) since Feb.

The 335d was new at the time and a great car. Modern, good looking coupe. Fast in a straight line and handles very well. It did suffer from the lack of an LSD, so sideways action is very possible but you need to be ready for when it bites..

The M3 is now in an iconic status.. It's older but still commands so much respect, it's a "Benchmark" car to what all others are measured.

The power delivery of the both are poles apart.

The Denzil is effortlessly fast, half throttle and you have literally fuxked off down the road...

Just press the loud pedal and it's massive reserves of torque just act like a tsunami shoving you along down the road!

The M3 is gutless in comparison, (by no means slower) but the lack of torque is very evident when driving sedately. But it feels so much more connected to the road. The steering is so direct and responsive to any input you give it. The ride firm but fair. It feels like a sports car even at low speed.

It really only comes alive when you start to really explore its limits. No point dropping to 5th or even 4th for instant acceleration at 60mph. You want 3rd or even 2nd for ballistic surge of acceleration.

From 2k -8k it's one long linear build up. Like a crescendo.. Forever pulling and getting stronger the higher she pulls.

But you will get caught out by 335d's if you want to lean on that long rev- range. You want to be in the 5-8k power band for the car to be quick. But with its sublime handling it's a joy to drive hard, is what it's bout for.

The convertible I feel would not be as much fun.. Due to the extra weight it's actually 1.5 seconds slower to 100mph and not much quicker than a standard 335d. I think the lack of torque would be irritating on the convertible.

Consider a M3 coupe vs 335d coupe.

With regards to fuel economy, I averaged 18mpg in the 335d for over a year. Hardly saw any motorways and drove pretty hard.

On a long run it can achieve 30-40mpg but only with MAJOR restraint.

The M3 I'm averaging 20mpg so far. When trying hard it's 15-18mpg and on and on a long run 35+mpg. I find it easier cruising in the M3 only because the massive effort required to get going quickly. The 335d (for me) was hard to restrain myself because just quarter an inch of throttle is needed to be the other side of the horizon!!

That's not to say the M3 is hard work. It's a pleasure to drive, it just requires more effort to go quickly.

On reflection, both are fantastic cars. I love them both but they are very different beasts.
      06-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #26
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

DXB, you're going to have to save up your pennies and by an old 335d as well . I think you would like to own both cars - both for different reasons.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #27
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Lol, I was just saying this on the phone earlier to my car mad cousin ( quite a few members on here have met him, good lad for sure) and said in an ideal world I'd live a brand new 335d for everyday use and an E46 M3 for the weekends. Both great cars. Feel lucky to have owned both!

(rather a new 335d than old one lol, mine was new when I had it)
      06-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #28
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Great write up Carl,glad you're enjoying the new steed.

Always loved the E46 M3,like a fine looking lass,always worth a second look

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #29
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
A couple of pics for old times sake..

06-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #30
M3Tuner44
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Everyday I regret selling my M3. Put a ton of work into it.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #31
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A big gold navara

Well, you'll be pleased to know i've finally bought one.

Started the day by phoning the independant dealer that i'd arranged (last night) with to pop over and view the M3 of my dreams, my perfect spec. Only for him to tell me that someone had put a £500 deposit on it 10 mins ago. Don't know whether it was all bollocks to be honest but hey ho, car was sold.

So i went to work instead, sulking.

Then i decided to check bmw for an AUC, like i have done many, many times, never found an E46 M3 on there in the months i've been searching... But today was different, today there was an AUC in a dealer not 40mins away, not too bad a price either.

So in the car i get, rush over there and i've bought it, nothing like the spec i wanted, in fact almost exactly the spec i didn't want, but an AUC warranty, at a fair price, with simply LOADS of work being done to prep her to AUC standards, and i couldn't leave it there.

Happy overall. Can't wait for next week.
      06-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #32
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Hey Carlos, you been going to night school? Or did someone help you write those very well articulated words on page 1? Just kidding mate.

I love and share your enthusiasm.

You all set for Tuesday 3rd July?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #33
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
great review Carlos boy!!!....
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #34
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyrado View Post
Well, you'll be pleased to know i've finally bought one.

Started the day by phoning the independant dealer that i'd arranged (last night) with to pop over and view the M3 of my dreams, my perfect spec. Only for him to tell me that someone had put a £500 deposit on it 10 mins ago. Don't know whether it was all bollocks to be honest but hey ho, car was sold.

So i went to work instead, sulking.

Then i decided to check bmw for an AUC, like i have done many, many times, never found an E46 M3 on there in the months i've been searching... But today was different, today there was an AUC in a dealer not 40mins away, not too bad a price either.

So in the car i get, rush over there and i've bought it, nothing like the spec i wanted, in fact almost exactly the spec i didn't want, but an AUC warranty, at a fair price, with simply LOADS of work being done to prep her to AUC standards, and i couldn't leave it there.

Happy overall. Can't wait for next week.

Congrats Danny-Boy!! Spill the beans!!
      06-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #35
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Hey Carlos, you been going to night school? Or did someone help you write those very well articulated words on page 1? Just kidding mate.

I love and share your enthusiasm.

You all set for Tuesday 3rd July?
Mate, I went to private school....

Just because I come accross a stupid Nutter on forums.... Book, judge & cover LOL...

Yeah mate, should be fun!!!
      06-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #36
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Congrats Danny-Boy!! Spill the beans!!
Sorry Carlos,

E90post was down for me last night.

Anywho:

I wanted:
A dark colour
with coloured leather (ideally champagne or red)
HK
Sunroof
Nav
heated seats

I got:
2002 Titanium silver (yes 2002 as an AUC)
SMG
54k miles
19" alloys
Grey leather
HK (with tape player!!! and CD changer) no nav
Sunroof
Heated seats
graduated screen

All in all i'm happy, the price was very fair, mileage very low, and a BMW warranty (especially on the SMG) is very reassuring.
When i got to the garage the car was on the ramps, having a full set of disks and pads, so i got to look at the subframe (the parts you can see) and all the underside of the car which was great. I also got to talk with the master tech, who is clearly an M car enthusiast, and was brimming to tell me about the car.
It also had yesterday new diff oil and seals, new tyres (conti's) on the front, and nearly new (avons) on the rear. Wheels are off this week for a refurb.

A couple of common points on the car (wing mirror and top of front arch) had started to bubble, so these are getting done in the dealers bodyshop next week. I made sure i didn't make the same mistake again of letting them use chipsaway or similar again (previous experience.)

Then it's getting a full machine polish and vallet ready for collection.

Of coarse, with an AUC i get 1 year extendable warranty, 1 year MOT and 1 year breakdown cover.

I don't usually gush, but i have to say the whole buying experience was a joy, and a credit to Williams BMW in Liverpool.

As i said, happy and can't wait.

P.s. I suppose i should have my own thread really.
      06-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #37
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Danny mate, I'm very happy for you. The car sounds lovely and they do look great in Silver!!

You have no worries with that AUC warranty, that's proper piece of mind.
Enjoy the SMG and it will smash through the gears like a monster!!!

Can't wait to see pics!! You must be buzzing!

Welcome to the

"Ex 335d > E46 ///M3 owners club"

Last edited by dxb335d; 06-23-2012 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #38
Ligumo
Rep
Drives: E92 320d MSport

Really enjoyed reading this thread.

Always fancied an E46 Alpina B3 either coupe or vert. Maybe one day...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 02:17 AM   #39
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep

Carlos, what were the symtoms that your RTABs needed doing?? I've got to drive it before paying for it next week (oh and before anyone says "You didn't drive it!?!", it was on the ramps having brakes and tyres.) I'd obviously like to know what to look out for.

I know the master tech drove it and says it's perfect, but still....
      06-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #40
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyrado View Post
Carlos, what were the symtoms that your RTABs needed doing?? I've got to drive it before paying for it next week (oh and before anyone says "You didn't drive it!?!", it was on the ramps having brakes and tyres.) I'd obviously like to know what to look out for.

I know the master tech drove it and says it's perfect, but still....
Unless you have driven one with new RTAB's first the it may not be that noticeable.

It a rear instability at high speed really. Like at high speed on a long radius curve and you adjust the steering slightly and the rear end goes light & has a little wobble.

That is something that WILL be covered by the AUC warranty so do not worry.

Check the rear springs also.
      06-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #41
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Interesting thread

I previously drove an LCI 330d and now have a '35 X5 (big, heavy, body roll at moderate speeds but surprisingly good for an SUV when pushed) and have a Z4M Roadster for weekends.

Your write-up is 100% spot on, which got me thinking.

Imagine the new 3 litre tri-turbo 'd' (38X hp and more torque that titanic) in an LSD 'M3' chassis. Massive roll on and top end power...probably faster than the current M3, with 6L turbo v8 supercar midrange and the on-limit handling of an 'M' car.

OK, it would miss that wonderful 'M' howl and would be a little heavier, but it would outperform current M motors in almost every other respect, namely instantaneous power, incredible overtaking punch, low rev effortless cruising, improved consumption and emissions. In other words, the roadcar equivalent of the Audi R10.

Alpina does a lovely job with a diesel engined car...so why not BMW?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #42
woodyuk
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: future owner of the dxb

Hi carl as I've had experience in both I thought I'd give you why I thought, the m3 feels alot more solid and planted than the 335 and would leave it for dead as soon as you came across a corner, But unless you really do have some driving talent and are going to drive it to its absolute limits I think the 335D is going to be an easy car to drive fast, hence the reason you left them for dead When you owned your D
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #43
Mustard3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Welcome to the

"Ex 335d > E46 ///M3 owners club"
And the other way around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligumo View Post
Really enjoyed reading this thread.

Always fancied an E46 Alpina B3 either coupe or vert. Maybe one day...
I've had an Alpina B3 3.3.
Very comfortable ride, not stiff or crashy, but still very composed.
1/4 mile - 14.5 @ 95mph thereabouts.
Best noise of any car I've owned.
Some parts not common to other E46 range can be lengthy to get hold of from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #44
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyuk View Post
Hi carl as I've had experience in both I thought I'd give you why I thought, the m3 feels alot more solid and planted than the 335 and would leave it for dead as soon as you came across a corner, But unless you really do have some driving talent and are going to drive it to its absolute limits I think the 335D is going to be an easy car to drive fast, hence the reason you left them for dead When you owned your D
Alright Bud!!

I think your are very right mate! Both great cars deffo!!

Was funny how we blew them into the weeds. Some M3 owners were reluctant to run with me at the pod, do you remember LOL.
Hence why I expected to put in a slow time in the ///M when we went last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard3 View Post
And the other way around!

Gonna start an 335d/E46 M3 owners club LOL. Do monthly packs with info @ pics as meet details Haha

Last edited by dxb335d; 06-25-2012 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0