Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Dealership for Tires?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Dealership for Tires?

I don't even want to think about what a ripoff would be getting tires put on at a dealer, but wondered if anyone else did?

My Bridgestone Potenza RFTs have about had it and I'm looking at some Michelin Pilot Super Sports (non-RFT). 3 Questions:

1) Will the dealer just rip me off?
2) Will the dealer install non RFTs?
3) Would you trust Discount Tire or other retailer to install tires? If not, whom?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
1. maybe
2. some will, some won't
3. no - have a BMW dealer do it if you can, my local BMW dealer was only $100 plus tax.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

check authorized dealers/installers close to you thru tirerack.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I went to an Indy shop once to get RFTs mounted and they scratched all four wheels - and they were a recommended installer on the Tire Rack web site. Of all the services that both dealers and Indy shops can perform on the 335, tire mounting is the one thing that I will always do at the dealer - they have the right equip, their weights are not bad looking, and I know if they scratch something I have a decent shot of them fixing it. I did not get gouged.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
I don't even want to think about what a ripoff would be getting tires put on at a dealer, but wondered if anyone else did?

My Bridgestone Potenza RFTs have about had it and I'm looking at some Michelin Pilot Super Sports (non-RFT). 3 Questions:

1) Will the dealer just rip me off?
2) Will the dealer install non RFTs?
3) Would you trust Discount Tire or other retailer to install tires? If not, whom?
1. Generally overpriced, so yes
2. They're just tires, not catless down pipes. They should
3. Considering that it's what they do daily and they're insured... definitely
      12-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Many go to non run flat tires and the Pilot Super Sport one of the best (if not THE best) summer performance tire that we sell. Great choice.

Many buy from us and have tires shipped to a local installer for installation.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

I guess tire shops wont be in business if they cannot install tires
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
groovygeek
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
+1

I am new to the BMW "experience" but I see absolutely no reason to pay the dealer to do basic service that any other decent shop will do. What is there to screw up in a tire install, particularly if it is not a RFT? Rims are rims, tires are tires, balancing is balancing. The only marginally touchy part are the TPMs but while waiting there today they worked on my E90, a Mercedes and a Lexus SUV, all with TPMs. Go for it.

And on the topic of "authorized" installers suggested by Tire Rack... while I am sure that they are screen and TR does not keep on the list anyone who has serious customer issues, they are by no means "BMW authorized". They are just indie shops that may or may not do a better job than the chains.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPerf Edit

Check with Gary @ TireRack. Over the years they have come to provide service that I have never had in a brick and mortar business let alone an e-tailer!

Just recently I blew my rial Bridgestone winter setup (hit a huge pot hole) and they have coming to me in two days where everyone else told me that with holidays etc it will be at least after Christmas.

I am sure many and most have had a pleasant experience like I have had!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

I just had my local dealer quote me on mounting and balacning 4 blizzak tires...

... it was $189.00 ... Now, I have heard of people getting same exact thing done at other dealers and have paid closer to $125. But, after some thought, I am OK with the dealer doing it - I need to take it to them anyway to get my "road worthness" light to stop saying i need an inspection.

189 to mount and blanace 4 low-profile tires is not a "deal" by any means, but its also not a huge "ripoff" thats about 50 bucks a wheel to dismount the stock tire, put on the new snow tire, and weight balance it with the TPMS, not awful IMO.

No way would I buy tires from the dealer though, much better deals out there.
      12-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
Most BMW owners don't know shit about cars, so they take it to the dealer for every little thing and get ripped off.
Any tire shop chain is capable of mounting and balancing wheels/tires. They perform the same service for half the cost of a dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by E34Addict View Post
Dealer will always be more expensive, get your tires at tire rack and have them shipped to local installer end of story. Not only you will save tons of money you will probably get better service.
This. I like Discount Tire Direct though.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Michelin Pilot SS are great tires, so great choice there. In regard to the location that you purchase them and where you have them mounted and balanced, you do not need to go to the dealer. Many local business are perfectly capable of mounting and balancing these tires without an issue. My only suggestion would be to go to a tire shop that uses a Hunter Road Force Balancing machine.

http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm

12-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Dealer will always be more expensive, get your tires at tire rack and have them shipped to local installer end of story. Not only you will save tons of money you will probably get better service.

And everybody who is saying dealer will not mess this up, etc. Have you BEEN to the BMW dealerships? There are thousands of horror stories. Have fun.
Inncorrect. "More expensive" is relative....

Keep im mind, most all places charge extra for "low profile tires" ... I'm not sure what qualifies a tire as "low-pro" but, I'm betting it would be quite hard to find any newer BMW without some type of stock "low pro" tires.

sure a tire shop my advertise a $25 mount/balance.. until they find out they are going to fight your tire for 45 mins trying to get it on the rim...

No one is saying the BMW dealer cannot mess things up - these are humans working at these places - errors get made. Do private schools ALWAYS have better teachers than public? No. However, if I am driving home and my wheel falls off and my car slams to the ground and I wreck, I would feel much more comfortable dealing with the actual BMW dealer getting a replacement, other than "Bob's tire shop" in his backyard. Now, that is an extreme situation, but you get what I am trying to say.

I will usually pay a LITTLE extra (me paying $189 at dealer, compared to $130 at local shop) is not a bad idea for me. I feel much more comfortable leaving my car with people that work in BMWs everyday, unlike "Bob's shop" where he gets 1 BMW every 6 months and when they get a chance too, "test drive" these cars VERY HARD - i have friends that work at same garages, I hear the stories...

if you were a 20 year old working at your dad's shop and some guy brings in a brand new M3 for some tires and leaves... wouldnt you want to take that thing out and rip it a little? ... exactly.
      12-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
Will335i
The Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 07' 335i

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [1.00]
A problems I ran into with Indy shops are:
1. Machines can't remove the RFT
2. Won't work on low profile tires
3. Won't install none RFT on a car equiped with RFTs
4. Machines will damage TMPSs

Either go to the dealer or ask who they recommend. The dealship was going to do mine but couldn't fit me in in time so they sent me to a local shop that only works on Germans and Exotics and it cost me $40.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hi, this is not 1980's where shops are going to fight your low profile tire. Tirerack certified installers have the equipment and if you doubt that call tire rack's installers and ask them.

Also please for the love of god realize one thing... here is a little secret for you.. ready? Dealership's workers get paid per job.. not time. Guess what that means to your wheels and car? They will take care of it?

Also realize that if they damage your rim you are going through dip shit manager .vs going through a small business. Guess which one will admit fault?

Someone has had a (or mutiple) bad expierences at the dealer...
      12-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #17
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will335i View Post
A problems I ran into with Indy shops are:
1. Machines can't remove the RFT
2. Won't work on low profile tires
3. Won't install none RFT on a car equiped with RFTs
4. Machines will damage TMPSs

Either go to the dealer or ask who they recommend. The dealship was going to do mine but couldn't fit me in in time so they sent me to a local shop that only works on Germans and Exotics and it cost me $40.
Sounds like you went to the WRONG Indy shop.

I lost a tire due to a pot hole. Called three different dealers which had a range of $200+ between them to purchase and mount one new tire. Called my local America Tire Company (Discount tires.com) and they were about $20 less then the cheapest dealership. I probably would have gone to the dealer for that small of a difference but the cheapest dealer was 50 miles away and needed 2-3 days to order the tire. The local dealer had it in stock but was the highest priced, ie. $220+ that of discount tires. Called the Indy back and ordered the tire @ 2pm. They got it and called me the next morning. I drove over and had it installed by 11am. Same exact tire just a LOT cheaper.

The only problem is that I had to reset my own TPMS sensor. Three clicks, drive a bit and done! I will NEVER go to the dealer for tires. That incident even made me reconsider my local dealer for services. I think I might drive the 50 miles to that cheaper dealer even though I'm still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #18
Will335i
The Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 07' 335i

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Sounds like you went to the WRONG Indy shop.

I lost a tire due to a pot hole. Called three different dealers which had a range of $200+ between them to purchase and mount one new tire. Called my local America Tire Company (Discount tires.com) and they were about $20 less then the cheapest dealership. I probably would have gone to the dealer for that small of a difference but the cheapest dealer was 50 miles away and needed 2-3 days to order the tire. The local dealer had it in stock but was the highest priced, ie. $220+ that of discount tires. Called the Indy back and ordered the tire @ 2pm. They got it and called me the next morning. I drove over and had it installed by 11am. Same exact tire just a LOT cheaper.

The only problem is that I had to reset my own TPMS sensor. Three clicks, drive a bit and done! I will NEVER go to the dealer for tires. That incident even made me reconsider my local dealer for services. I think I might drive the 50 miles to that cheaper dealer even though I'm still under warranty.
That was 4 different Indy shops 2 of which are big national chains and I ended up going to an Indy shop at the end
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #19
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Ultimately, it's not whether it's a dealership or a indy. It's about the reputation and experience at the individual shop.

I've had a dealership scratch and create those circular cuts around the bolt areas of my wheels due to sloppy/rushed install. I've also seen the same from some independent shops.

Watching them perform the service on your car will give you a good idea how they treat the car. Things I watch for.

- Clean/properly maintained mounter/balancer
- More than sufficient amount of mounting lubrication
- Watch the balancer for any bends in the wheels
- Check of the wheels for cracks
- Removal/Install of loose bolts by hand
- Speed at which they torque down the bolts (pretending they are a Nascar pit crew is BAD)
- Tighten with proper star pattern

etc....

There's so much to watch for. I only trust the shops that treat the car like I would.

I had one shop that would keep trying to rebalance my wheels, as I kept complaining about highway vibrations. Finally, they said it's the tires (they were still new).

Took it to a different shop, they quickly found some bends in the wheels that would cause higher speed vibrations even after proper balancing. Had the bends taken out. Silky smooth.
Appreciate 0