E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Birds Suspension Vs BMW Performance Suspension Vs AC Schnitzer Suspension

02-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #45
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciomas View Post
see, thats the setup I've been running for a while now (harolds 400/800). I've been having second thoughts. It might be useful to meet up and compare..
Why? Not enough damping force in the rear?
      02-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #46
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Why? Not enough damping force in the rear?
Might be a bit to hard...
The car is quite tail happy which was to be assumed. Especially with the Quaife in place.

But that's hardly the problem.
I have a feeling the suspension is not doing its job.
Feels as if the springs are doing most of the work before the dampers get a chance to properly engage in the process.

The dampers have not been revalved
      02-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #47
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciomas View Post
Might be a bit to hard...
The car is quite tail happy which was to be assumed. Especially with the Quaife in place.

But that's hardly the problem.
I have a feeling the suspension is not doing its job.
Feels as if the springs are doing most of the work before the dampers get a chance to properly engage in the process.

The dampers have not been revalved
That's what I meant by not enough damping force in the rear. I love the sound of those Ohlins dfv dampers and agree the kit rear spring rate is too soft for a modded 335 and not tuned for flat ride, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy the kit, buy new springs and have the rear shocks revalved to dampen an appropriate rear spring rate. Appreciate your honest feedback
      02-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #48
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep
Drives: E91 325D M-Sport, Evo 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Did Ohlins tell you that or your retailer?
Before purchased I was informed by Aurok that revalving was not necessary due to the large damping range and low wheel rate because of the motion ratio at the rear.

With the 672 rear spring, I spent quite a while adjusting one click at a time to find a setting I'm happy with on the road, and at 8 clicks from full hard it's perfect for me. At say 12 clicks it is even more comfortable but the rebound damping is still controlling the rebound of the spring ok, as can be felt at high speeds where there is no 'floatiness' that is apparent with inadequate rebound damping.

I'm also quite experienced in suspension setup having custom suspension built to my specs for my sprint car and other cars I work on, designed and built my own top mounts, custom ball joints for roll centre adjustments etc. So I understand fully what is happening and how to adjust by the 'feel' of the car.

With the DFV valving, it's basically like having quite soft fast bump and rebound valving stopping the car being 'upset' by aggressive bumps/holes/lumps!

In regards to 800lbs being too hard, my car is an E91 touring so I think is heavier at the rear than the coupe or saloon, also, I personally like a firm setup, and at the moment it's still too soft for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #49
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^ thanks for the feedback
      02-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #50
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
I went to see techevo today, brilliant guy and a true enthusiast. His workshop is full of interesting drivetrain/suspension components

Took me around in his E91, which had the Ohlins kit and M3 bits, and i was nearly about to cling on! I guess i am used to the awful m-sport suspension, and my brain just thought it's going to get hairy!

The car was amazing. It really did feel like it was running on rails and nothing could unsettle it, very impressive. I also had a drive and the damping is amazing. When going over speed humps i would normally slow right down, but in his you can carry on like its not there, and still the car feels like it's landing on a pillow! I can't comprehend how that is possible whilst also being firm at the same time in other scenarios.

Admittingly he did replace a few suspension bits, so some of the improvements were probably down to that, but the damping is much better. It's how BMWs should come out of the factory. Oh and this was on a quite firm setting as well, 8 clicks from the max hardness!
Sounds good, but the bit about going over sleeping policemen without a care... Most who do suspension upgrades will often be looking for a lower meaner stance. Flying over speed humps at speed can't be good, especially if your ride height is lower and on lower profile tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #51
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh View Post
Sounds good, but the bit about going over sleeping policemen without a care... Most who do suspension upgrades will often be looking for a lower meaner stance. Flying over speed humps at speed can't be good, especially if your ride height is lower and on lower profile tyres.
I think i phrased it wrongly. We didn't really fly over the humps at speed, just went over at a normal speed with no rough feeling as i get currently even when slowing right down. Was smooth as silk! I guess comparing to my car it felt like were going fast, but we weren't just casual speed.

I'm not really after the meaner look to be honest and i don't want the slammed look. My driveway is not suitable!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #52
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep

Quote:
Lol, around 30mph, and not a full on, across the road hump, but a centre of the lane mound, where you just catch it on the edge!

You'd still be surprised how quality dampers like Ohlins can absorb large compressions easily and safely without harshness or a rough ride even with firm spring rates, it's all down to the clever damping design and high spec materials used.

Those who are serious about suspension will be more interested in quality dampers and the correct setup for their application, rather than just lowering for looks.

In this respect, ride height will be governed by spring rates and bump damping adjustment, not aesthetics.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #53
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techevo View Post
Lol, around 30mph, and not a full on, across the road hump, but a centre of the lane mound, where you just catch it on the edge!

You'd still be surprised how quality dampers like Ohlins can absorb large compressions easily and safely without harshness or a rough ride even with firm spring rates, it's all down to the clever damping design and high spec materials used.

Those who are serious about suspension will be more interested in quality dampers and the correct setup for their application, rather than just lowering for looks.

In this respect, ride height will be governed by spring rates and bump damping adjustment, not aesthetics.
Everytime I hear or read of Ohlins just rings expensive as fook alarm bells and track ready. I'm only in MK I'd be interested to see how your E91 compares to mine with Weitec coilovers. Of course mine is sitting fairly low and it really does feel very hooked up round the roundabouts in MK, though sleep policemen always get my respect as a crawl over them. I'm not in the faintest interested in driving like a yob, and being as low as it is the comfort to me, my wife and passengers is no different to stock if not better (probably due to non rft)

Either way I'd be up for comparing notes and meeting up
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #54
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep

Quote:
Everytime I hear or read of Ohlins just rings expensive as fook alarm bells and track ready. I'm only in MK I'd be interested to see how your E91 compares to mine with Weitec coilovers. Of course mine is sitting fairly low and it really does feel very hooked up round the roundabouts in MK, though sleep policemen always get my respect as a crawl over them. I'm not in the faintest interested in driving like a yob, and being as low as it is the comfort to me, my wife and passengers is no different to stock if not better (probably due to non rft)

The Ohlins DFV is definitely a very road biased kit, especially with the standard spring rates, and really not expensive, mine were around £1500 inc

In comparison, the KW 2 way competition units I run on my sprint Evo were around £3.5k and even running much harder springs, they are still compliant on the road.

You find that high quality suspension is much, much more comfortable than cheap poor quality stuff even though the spring rates may be harder.

I personally think it's one of the most important components on the car, controlling grip, handling and comfort in equal amounts.

Would be good to meet up sometime, I'm only up the road!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #55
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Yup, the Weitec I run as the same as the KW v1s minus the stainless bodies instead with galvanised/zinc coatings.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #56
Tak1986
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techevo
Quote:

The Ohlins DFV is definitely a very road biased kit, especially with the standard spring rates, and really not expensive, mine were around 1500 inc

In comparison, the KW 2 way competition units I run on my sprint Evo were around 3.5k and even running much harder springs, they are still compliant on the road.

You find that high quality suspension is much, much more comfortable than cheap poor quality stuff even though the spring rates may be harder.

I personally think it's one of the most important components on the car, controlling grip, handling and comfort in equal amounts.

Would be good to meet up sometime, I'm only up the road!

I was looking for the kit for my e91, first time I saw it was at autosport show in Jan, the more I see the people review their ohlins, the more I would like to give it a try. It's a shame I am quite far from your area, would be awesome to have a touring meet, and see your set up.

Would you mind telling us where you got the kit from and I may send an enquiry to get a quote .

Cheers
Sam

Edit: don't think it work or show quite well on iPad
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #57
Techevo
Evo Junkie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak1986 View Post
I was looking for the kit for my e91, first time I saw it was at autosport show in Jan, the more I see the people review their ohlins, the more I would like to give it a try. It's a shame I am quite far from your area, would be awesome to have a touring meet, and see your set up.

Would you mind telling us where you got the kit from and I may send an enquiry to get a quote .

Cheers
Sam

Edit: don't think it work or show quite well on iPad
Hi Sam, my Ohlins came from a company called Aurok, but also via a friend who trades with Aurok and thus I got some better discount.

The Ohlins really is a nice setup, very comfortable and controlled. The only downside I can see is requiring stiffer rear springs from what comes with the kit.
Appreciate 0