E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > What is a better deal? ED or US?

01-16-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

What is a better deal? ED or US?

Hey all,

I realized that purchasing a veh via ED will be cheaper than US purchase but my question is what method will give you a better deal over invoice? ED vs US? I'm also particularly curious to get input from fellows Bimmer from the Seattle area? Oh, the vehicle I'm in the market for is 335i coupe.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
griffmac
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddemon73 View Post
Hey all,

I realized that purchasing a veh via ED will be cheaper than US purchase but my question is what method will give you a better deal over invoice? ED vs US? I'm also particularly curious to get input from fellows Bimmer from the Seattle area? Oh, the vehicle I'm in the market for is 335i coupe.

Thanks all
You can definitely get 1K over invoice on ED.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

If you really put your mind to it you can get 1K over invoice here in us too. I got 1200 over invoice 1 year ago, back when Cali guys where paying pretty much MSRP.
      01-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
I almost did ED and I worked out all the numbers.

- The 335 coupe's base ED invoice is ~$3000 cheaper.
- You get 2:1 Lufthansa airfare to and from Munich.
- You don't need to rent a car while you are in Europe.

Assuming you could get it for $500 over invoice if you took delivery in the States versus $1000 over invoice if you took ED, here's the calculation I did:

Save $3000 on ED invoice instead of States invoice
Pay $500 more over ED invoice than States invoice
Save $1200 on airfare from West Coast for your companion

You save $3,700, plus you have a car to drive in Europe. The insurance is covered for 2 weeks.

If you are going to Europe for vacation, this is a great solution. Plus, you get a tour of the BMW plant in Munich. But it's not worth it for most of us just to save money. The 11-12 hour flights to and from the West Coast in coach class are brutal. Plus you have hotel and meal expenses while in Europe that can eat up the savings. Plus you have to wait for your car to return from Europe.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
luckyD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

why dont you just buy at invoice , and ED is cheaper that US pick up?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
If you really put your mind to it you can get 1K over invoice here in us too. I got 1200 over invoice 1 year ago, back when Cali guys where paying pretty much MSRP.

Ok so you got $1000.00 over dealer invoice here. And I got $1000.00 over ED. My $1000.00 over ED invoice is still almost $3000.00 less than your $1000.00 over US pricing. And if you leave on a Sat arrive on Sunday and pick up your car Monday and leave Tues then you just spent $800.00 which still saves you $2,300.00. And all you had to do was fly 16 hours. Not a bad deal. My car in the US would of been $47K and ED came to be $41,085.00. I dont think I would of gotten that here in the US. Plus I stayed in Munich and Prague for 8 days. Dude if you decide to do ED you have to go to prague. You will not regret it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

The big savings from ED are for cars that dealers won't discount. My dealer would only take 1k off the 335 when they were first released. Why should they discount cars out of their inventory when demand is higher than supply?

ED cars, on the other hand, do not come out of the dealer's allotment, so the supply in essence is unlimited. Hence I got mine for 1200 over invoice (no fees or anything else). And I was treated extremely well. So I saved about 5k by ED.

The other circumstance in which the savings are big is on the more expensive models.

If you have ff miles or business trip, then you save the cost of airfare. East coast is easier than west coast.

But the big thing about ED is getting to drive your car in Bavaria and Euro. That is THE REASON to do ED. The Welt, the 'ring, the museum, lots of other cool stuff. Bottom line is here is a chance to get off your butt, stop wasting time playing video games or working late, and do something really cool and adventuresome. Mind-opening experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
The big savings from ED are for cars that dealers won't discount. My dealer would only take 1k off the 335 when they were first released. Why should they discount cars out of their inventory when demand is higher than supply?

ED cars, on the other hand, do not come out of the dealer's allotment, so the supply in essence is unlimited. Hence I got mine for 1200 over invoice (no fees or anything else). And I was treated extremely well. So I saved about 5k by ED.

The other circumstance in which the savings are big is on the more expensive models.

If you have ff miles or business trip, then you save the cost of airfare. East coast is easier than west coast.

But the big thing about ED is getting to drive your car in Bavaria and Euro. That is THE REASON to do ED. The Welt, the 'ring, the museum, lots of other cool stuff. Bottom line is here is a chance to get off your butt, stop wasting time playing video games or working late, and do something really cool and adventuresome. Mind-opening experience.

+1 that sums it all up !
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
klo
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

just did ed..from seattle (well bellevue)

I just picked up my car in munich in mid December; placed my order the first week of Sept. I actually did it at bmw bellevue despite the bashes it has received, but my CA was a really cool dude so I got it from him. Paid 1200 over ed invoice (I probably could have gotten it for 1k or even 800 out of state), but i chose the convenience.

I would never buy a bmw again without doing euro delivery - the experience was amazing, the amount I saved was totally worth it, and the trip was incredible. I'm not sure how much 335s are going for right now, but when I wanted to get mine they were still goign at near MSRP, so it was a no brainer. The only drawback is that it takes a while to actually get your car - my vessel just docked in CA, so i shoudl be getting mine in the next couple weeks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

I've been interested in ED for a while now.

In talking to a CEO/COO friend of mine, he came out and asked why would BMW offer such a program?

I had no answer - does anyone know why BMW offers ED and the nice ED pricing? Is there a business angle involved? Surely they aren't being nice for the karma alone...

Even if there is, I'd be OK with it...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #11
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
I've been interested in ED for a while now.

In talking to a CEO/COO friend of mine, he came out and asked why would BMW offer such a program?

I had no answer - does anyone know why BMW offers ED and the nice ED pricing? Is there a business angle involved? Surely they aren't being nice for the karma alone...

Even if there is, I'd be OK with it...

The main reason is to maintain brand loyalty and since they usually don't come out of the dealers allocation,they can pass on the savings.MB offers a great program as well.....call for details....
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #12
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Don't do it for the savings alone unless you really just want to do an in & out trip.

If you're planning a real vacation then most likely the cost of the trip will eliminate the savings. Basically think of it as getting a vacation along with a car versus just getting a car with local delivery.

One hidden saving that is actually often overlooked is the savings in the sales tax depending on your state. For example my sales tax rate is 8.5% in SF, so I'm saving almost $300 in sales tax just on the car itself. That almost pays for the CA option right there.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 12:36 AM   #13
klo
Private
Rep

Why wouldn't you do it for the savings alone, even if it is just in and out? I mean the drawbacks are that you need to wait longer to get your car, and you need to spend the time to go there, but if you aren't in a rush for the car and willing to spend 2 days going over there the 5-6k savings is worth it, imo.

Of course, you do have the option of exploring and driving around there - I went with a buddy doing the 2 for 1 lufthansa deal, stopped through munich/frankfurt/amsterdam, and spent about 2k which includes airfare, hotels and spending. So i still saved about 3k, and got a week's vacation out of it.

Granted we didn't go luxurious and moreso backpacking style, but i'd say it was amazing. Even if i didn't have time for a vacation next time, i think i'd do it just do it for the savings.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 12:54 AM   #14
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

^

You'd save about $5 if the dealers are not discounting the car and that you got a great deal on it (say $500 over ED invoice) and cheap plane tickets. Otherwise you'd be looking at about $3k savings which is still great. But if you want to spend a few weeks in Europe, those savings are essentially gone. Thus I would suggest doing ED for the experience (first and foremost) and savings second.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #15
demosthenes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
It depends on where you live and how much you hate riding in coach. I live on the west coast and it's 11-12 hours to/from Munich. I HATE it so much I take a sleep aid to get through half of it. Plus the time change messes me up.

For me, it's not worth it unless I'm going to vacation in Europe. But for others, it's worth it to pick up the car, drive it on the autobahns, see Germany, drop it off, head back home and save some money.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 01:21 AM   #16
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
Thus I would suggest doing ED for the experience (first and foremost) and savings second.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 10:05 PM   #17
AJ M2 comp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335Xi

I just ordered mine from Yakima BMW dont mess with the dealerships in Seattle. I got mine for 1K over invoice and didnt have to go back and forth with them. If you want details PM me or TTG.

You will be able to get one for $1500 over invoice in Seattle if you haggle with them (Bellevue, Seattle, and NW are all about the same) but they will try to charge you a bunch of different fees. The dealerships in Seattle treat everyone like $hit because they have so many people coming in and out of the dealership. I bought my last car from Bellevue BMW last year for 500 off MSRP and they still acted like they were doing me a huge favor by offering my 1500 over invoice on ED and then they added about 500 in fees that were BS.

The people at Hahn BMW in Yakima were great I can go on and on all day. This will be my 3rd new BMW in 5 years and the first time I have enjoyed working with the dealership.

2008 e92 335xi 6mt, Montego Blue, Jade Grey, Grey Poplar, Sport, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, KW V3s, M3 spoiler, 35% tint, 3M clear bra, GP Thunder H8
2007 E92 335i*
2003 E46 330Ci*
1994 Ford Probe SE* *Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 12:11 AM   #18
klo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ 335TT View Post
I just ordered mine from Yakima BMW dont mess with the dealerships in Seattle. I got mine for 1K over invoice and didnt have to go back and forth with them. If you want details PM me or TTG.

You will be able to get one for $1500 over invoice in Seattle if you haggle with them (Bellevue, Seattle, and NW are all about the same) but they will try to charge you a bunch of different fees. The dealerships in Seattle treat everyone like $hit because they have so many people coming in and out of the dealership. I bought my last car from Bellevue BMW last year for 500 off MSRP and they still acted like they were doing me a huge favor by offering my 1500 over invoice on ED and then they added about 500 in fees that were BS.

The people at Hahn BMW in Yakima were great I can go on and on all day. This will be my 3rd new BMW in 5 years and the first time I have enjoyed working with the dealership.
Yea, i've heard a bunch of bad stuff about Bellevue - i was really skeptical at first, but it really depends who you deal with. A couple of guys i tried to deal with, did try to pull all these bogus fees, not to mention giving me a crappy initial price to begin with. But when I came in to meet the first CA and he was busy, a younger dude helped me out and was really cool and up front, and more of an enthusiast - i've been dealing with him since.

I ended up settling for 1200 over ed invoice (no other fees), and just did it for convenience since Bellevue is so close. If anyone wants more details, pm me too. Otherwise, good luck if you're dealing with some other CAs there - as documented, there are some arrogant guys who i wouldn't buy a car from even if i got it at invoice.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 12:40 AM   #19
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

I have been corresponding with a guy from Bellevue. Take a look at his last email to me,

"I don't have the program on my computer to get the invioce on Euro Del. cars, would have to have manager do extensive work to find ED invioce not easy like the US invioce. But we won't sell a coupe any where near invioce here and that would be the same with the Euro. Del. You already save almost $3000 by doing the ED on a car that is very hot in the market place and that many dealers have very few of. Euro delivery is not a thing that many dealership specialize in because it takes more work and there isn't a whole lot of profit in it. I'd rather sell you a car here but if you're going to Germany anyways, why not save the almost $3000...it pays for most of your trip."

A bunch of BS........
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 12:47 AM   #20
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

^ you should have been like "oh you guys need a copy of the Euro invoice? No problem. Give me your manager's email so I can send him a copy too."
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 12:58 AM   #21
luckyD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

did you guys got charger DOC (documentation) fee at the dealer while doing ED?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 05:08 AM   #22
klo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddemon73 View Post
I have been corresponding with a guy from Bellevue. Take a look at his last email to me,

"I don't have the program on my computer to get the invioce on Euro Del. cars, would have to have manager do extensive work to find ED invioce not easy like the US invioce. But we won't sell a coupe any where near invioce here and that would be the same with the Euro. Del. You already save almost $3000 by doing the ED on a car that is very hot in the market place and that many dealers have very few of. Euro delivery is not a thing that many dealership specialize in because it takes more work and there isn't a whole lot of profit in it. I'd rather sell you a car here but if you're going to Germany anyways, why not save the almost $3000...it pays for most of your trip."

A bunch of BS........
Yea, i'm not even surprised, though i never got the 'ignorant' play, i always just got the jacked up quote to begin with. When I talked with my CA, I made it pretty clear that i knew what I was doing and I wasn't going to buy into a lot of the nonsense that they give others, and again he was straight up with me. When I met him, he pulled out a full invoice sheet which showed U.S., Euro invoice pricing. Again, i paid 1200 over euro invoice, no other fees - should be arriving any day!

However, I do know that if you weren't going to do ED, no place around Seattle will give you more than 1k off MSRP (same CA initially offered me 1k off MSRP, but still seemed too much for me).
Appreciate 0