E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Which is best ?

View Poll Results: Which is the best buy for £35K ?
New 335i msport 43 91.49%
Used M3 4 8.51%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

08-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #23
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
you handsome chap you
It's 'animal magnestism'

(not the kind that Beauforty goes in for though).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #24
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
It's not even his 'big one' he's offering .... he's 'pimping' for his Carlos Fandango senior.

3 votes for the M3 now ..... but 28 for the 335i
Carlos Fandango presents 'Pimp My Daddy's Ride' - what an idea for a new spin-off TV show!

Viv
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #25
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Carlos Fandango presents 'Pimp My Daddy's Ride' - what an idea for a new spin-off TV show!

Viv
FUCKING QUALITY

i cracked up so much, i had to show my mum

im still pissing myself now as i write this:rocks:
      08-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #26
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
can i have the high res pic???

ACE mate, ABSOLUTE CLASS

viv you are ''The Don'':rocks:

Edit, what pic is that of me tho?? where from?
      08-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #27
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
FUCKING QUALITY

i cracked up so much, i had to show my mum

im still pissing myself now as i write this:rocks:
Glad you liked it, Carlos!

Quote:
can i have the high res pic???

ACE mate, ABSOLUTE CLASS

viv you are ''The Don'':rocks:

Edit, what pic is that of me tho?? where from?
Remember this shot?!

A little bit of tweaking is all it took- it was as though you were posing for a PChop-to-be!

Unfortunately, that is the only 'appropriate' shot of you I could find, so I had to make do with keeping that resolution, so no other hi-res available I'm afraid.

If you've got a better shot, in a similar pose, then I'll try to find another 'Pimp My Ride' ad & re-work it for you, ok!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #28
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Quote:
I think I should easily get an msport with nav, leather, folding seats and 6fl for under £35K

What else do I need?
Thought you preferred alcantara ?

I'd be surprised if you can get one new for that price, maybe used ?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #29
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post

thats what i was thinkin, surely not a new one with all that, prob more like 40k+
      08-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #30
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I was definitely into the alcantara on my current car ... but now I'm thinking leather may be worth the extra ....

Quote:
thats what i was thinkin, surely not a new one with all that, prob more like 40k+
No where near £40K young man ... I'm after the e90 not the e92 ...

BMW are discounting very heavily right now ...

Look at this on drivethedeal ... it includes a £1250 bonus for accepting BMW finance ... but even without that it's a superb discount

33 to 3 in favour of the 335i now ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 05:08 AM   #31
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
NFS..you don't show what spec that is for but I got around 5k discount and my car isn't a dissimilar spec and it was more like 37.5k.

To be honest, as I said when you originally posted your "what should I do" thread a few months ago I don't see how this is a big move for you - you are getting the same make and series of car except a bit more acceleration and ipod integration, and perhaps leather which wasn't a big deal to you before. You'd be better off buying a 2nd hand elise or something like that and keeping your e90 IMHO.... it's your money, your decision. I used to wonder at my father in law changing his 318 every 2 years for....wait for it...a 318, sometimes in the same colour. Once he said that they'd changed the automatic gearstick...and he wasn't joking. This just reminds me of that...I know it is an extreme comparison but seriously what are you getting for the money?

I can't see me changing mine until a new model comes out or I come into serious amounts of money.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 05:14 AM   #32
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I just spec'd a 335i with Leather, Prof Nav and Ipod (only) and the manufacturer's list price was stated as £37625 so with the 5693 discount you are showing there that'd be £31,932. So I guess that is under 35k, but not sure what you spec'd for £28,761. Damn...why was my car 37k... I guess optional extras and d+auto and maybe not quite such a good discount at the time.

WTF are folding seats?! Do you mean electric seats?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #33
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
NFS..you don't show what spec that is for but I got around 5k discount and my car isn't a dissimilar spec and it was more like 37.5k.

To be honest, as I said when you originally posted your "what should I do" thread a few months ago I don't see how this is a big move for you - you are getting the same make and series of car except a bit more acceleration and ipod integration, and perhaps leather which wasn't a big deal to you before. You'd be better off buying a 2nd hand elise or something like that and keeping your e90 IMHO.... it's your money, your decision. I used to wonder at my father in law changing his 318 every 2 years for....wait for it...a 318, sometimes in the same colour. Once he said that they'd changed the automatic gearstick...and he wasn't joking. This just reminds me of that...I know it is an extreme comparison but seriously what are you getting for the money?

I can't see me changing mine until a new model comes out or I come into serious amounts of money.
That price is for a stock 335i e90 msport with no extra options.

I would add the following:

ProNav - £1900
Bluetooth - £500
Split Fold Rear Seats - £250

Which are the only 'options' on my current car

Plus

USB - £250

And possibly ...

Dakota Leather - £ 900

So if I can get the basic price of the car down to £30K (which is a fair but more than drive the deal) I should get what I want for £35K.

It's a bit les than you paid granted ... but the discounts are high right now and 15% should be achiveable. On the flip side interest rates are higher than last year, so my finance will be less attractive.

Since I do relatively high mileage I do have a feeling that selling a year and a half old 330i with maybe 30K on it may lose me less than selling it after 3 years with upwards of 90K on it.

At least at the moment it would go right back on the forecourt and make the stealer some money.

In any event I'm actually more tempted to sell privately and buy something else via a broker.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 08:05 AM   #34
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
That price is for a stock 335i e90 msport with no extra options.

I would add the following:

ProNav - £1900
Bluetooth - £500
Split Fold Rear Seats - £250

Which are the only 'options' on my current car

Plus

USB - £250

And possibly ...

Dakota Leather - £ 900

So if I can get the basic price of the car down to £30K (which is a fair but more than drive the deal) I should get what I want for £35K.

It's a bit les than you paid granted ... but the discounts are high right now and 15% should be achiveable. On the flip side interest rates are higher than last year, so my finance will be less attractive.

Since I do relatively high mileage I do have a feeling that selling a year and a half old 330i with maybe 30K on it may lose me less than selling it after 3 years with upwards of 90K on it.

At least at the moment it would go right back on the forecourt and make the stealer some money.

In any event I'm actually more tempted to sell privately and buy something else via a broker.
Dakota leather is £1220 less discount...

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #35
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC4J View Post
Dakota leather is £1220 less discount...
'drive the deal' have it discounted to £ 995

Exact figures are:

ProNav: £ 1970.01
Bluetooth: £ 535.00
Through Load: £ 245.00
USB: £ 205
Leather £ 995

Price on Drive the Deal for that spec (assuming I have the finance bonus) is £ 32,158.98 (discount is £ 6,246.03 - roughly 16%)

Based on this I am pretty confident that I can get the car I want for less than £35K. The list price is £ 38,405.01 so a 10% discount would do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #36
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
'drive the deal' have it discounted to £ 995

Exact figures are:

ProNav: £ 1970.01
Bluetooth: £ 535.00
Through Load: £ 245.00
USB: £ 205
Leather £ 995

Price on Drive the Deal for that spec (assuming I have the finance bonus) is £ 32,158.98 (discount is £ 6,246.03 - roughly 16%)

Based on this I am pretty confident that I can get the car I want for less than £35K. The list price is £ 38,405.01 so a 10% discount would do it.
Or stick with your car and spend the monthly payments on the new car on something else Like an Elise.

Seriously, what are you getting apart from that nice shiny new car feeling?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #37
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Or stick with your car and spend the monthly payments on the new car on something else Like an Elise.

Seriously, what are you getting apart from that nice shiny new car feeling?
Turbos
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:14 AM   #38
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I don't know your finances NFS but I can think of a million things I'd spend that kind of money on before I replaced my car for something so similar just to get turbos. Unless you are going to change the colour.... then you are damn crazy fool cos you already have the best colour.

Isn't a vx220 turbo? Get a 2nd hand one of them and keep your car. In fact, I happen to know one going very cheap:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77184
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #39
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't know your finances NFS but I can think of a million things I'd spend that kind of money on before I replaced my car for something so similar just to get turbos. Unless you are going to change the colour.... then you are damn crazy fool cos you already have the best colour.

Isn't a vx220 turbo? Get a 2nd hand one of them and keep your car. In fact, I happen to know one going very cheap:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77184
For some reason 'damn crazy fool' just made me think of the A team

The thing is ... what money would I be spending exactly?

I get an amount each month to spend on a car ...

In terms of my current car the monthly cost is actually pretty close to the depreciation.

By the time I own it outright it won't be worth anything

So my monthly payment is just a fixed 'cost' ... money down the pan that's gone for good.

So if I trade it in, I'll 'roughly' get enough to clear the finance ... so I'm squared away cost-wise, then I can swap to a new car and be back to where I started with a very similar monthly payment (actually a bit more because the value of the car will be a couple of £k more).

The only amount I will 'lose' is any difference between the trade in value and the finance settlement. If I trade after 1 year, this might squeak a bit and I could be a grand down. If I trade after 2 years I should be safe, it just depends on the dealer and the day.

Although it's slightly illogical - I do think that I will be able to strike a better deal with a trade in of an 18 month old car with 30k on the clock than a 36 month old car with 60k on it.

So my actual 'loss' may not actually be any greater if I swap next March for an 08 plate.

Obviously, this is a costly way to do it. I could go out and buy a 2 year old Mondeo for cash and pocket the car payment each month. Maybe if I was more sensible I would do it. However, a nice car for work is a priority for me, so this would be a thorn in my side - plus the spare wedge would only go into the savings account .. which is less fun that a 3.0l straight six.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #40
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For some reason 'damn crazy fool' just made me think of the A team
It was supposed to I was trying to sound like B A Baracus.

Quote:
The thing is ... what money would I be spending exactly?

I get an amount each month to spend on a car ...
Which presumably you could spend on something else and keep your current car? Although I hadn't factored in that you had finance outstanding. If this works out financially why don't people change their cars every year or two? There must be a hit somewhere....

It almost sounds like you can change cars more frequently if you are on finance than if you buy outright which doesn't make sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 06:16 AM   #41
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It was supposed to I was trying to sound like B A Baracus.
I ain't gettin' on no plane fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3
Which presumably you could spend on something else and keep your current car? Although I hadn't factored in that you had finance outstanding. If this works out financially why don't people change their cars every year or two? There must be a hit somewhere....

It almost sounds like you can change cars more frequently if you are on finance than if you buy outright which doesn't make sense to me.
I'm actually very interested in the different ways people look at the economics of car ownership.

I think some people almost look at it as an investment, but since it's a depreciating asset it really isn't. For me it's more of a fixed monthly cost and it does seem to work out that my monthly payment is reasonably closely aligned to the depreciation.

Because my car is almost 100% financed I can't spend my monthly budget on anything else ... it's gone.

It would be more economic to use my savings to buy the car and then drop the monthly budget into my savings account. The only cost to me then would be a loss of interest on savings and the loss of some fluidity in terms of that cash. That would be cheaper than the interest cost of my loan, but not massively so.

I'd have to be careful not to spend the money elsewhere though, because the car would still be costing me the same each month in depreciation and my net wealth would reduce if I did not rebuild my savings.

So ... unless I have a cheaper older car where depreciation was not a significant cost (I'm to into cars and do too many miles to live with that) I might as well finance. (actually there are some cars that I would do this for, but most have 2 seats).

Let's say I am paying £500 a month for 3 years (plus lump sum at the end) for a car. There isn't going to be a time when that cost 'stops'. I'm never going to buy the car and am always going to swap it at some stage from yrs 1 to 3.

So the issue is simply the cost to change. Since the asset for me has no 'value' (I don't own it) so long as it clears it's finance I'm home free. So why continue to ay £500 a month till the end of the 3 yr period then change, when I could change at 18 months and pay £550 a month for a new slightly higher value car on a new deal?

There is a hit. If I change at 18 months I may need to put in a couple of grand to balance the books, because I may not clear finance. After 2 years this would be less and after 3 years it should be nil. However, I have a feeling that most people want 'nearly new' not proper 'used' when it comes to these cars. I think that the dealer will go toward the higher end of the value for an 18 month 30k car than for a 3 yr old 60K car. I think that this will lesson the relative difference between the 'costs to change'
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #42
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I bought my car by p/x and savings.... it seemed like a sensible thing to do at the time. I can't imagine changing it in less than a few years due to the depreciation - although that only gets worse the more often you change the more hits you take I guess, it doesn't seem like you (as in NFS) are taking a depreciation "hit" but I suppose you could consider all the monthly payments you've made so far to be the depreciation as you've said.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #43
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I bought my car by p/x and savings.... it seemed like a sensible thing to do at the time. I can't imagine changing it in less than a few years due to the depreciation - although that only gets worse the more often you change the more hits you take I guess, it doesn't seem like you (as in NFS) are taking a depreciation "hit" but I suppose you could consider all the monthly payments you've made so far to be the depreciation as you've said.
Well if you do 20K miles a year your interest in the car (ie the savings you used to buy it) is eroding at maybe £500 a month. You'll only see this at resale, but it's a constant and real cost.

You have chosen to lose the interest earned on those savings and I have chosen to pay interest on the equivalent as a loan.

The difference in cost is effectively the interest cost less the equivalent interest earned - this will probably be around 1.5% and that's where I'm taking a hit in comparison to you.

Neither is right or wrong, it's just down to what's best for you.

With my sort of milage changing the car frequently isn't going to hurt much more than changing after 3 years. The only was I'd ever be doing much better would be to pay the finance right off and hold the car for 5-10 years.

That's probably sensible, but I want a warranty and a modern safe car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #44
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Is that the sound of an order being placed I hear?

Does your work pay for the monthly payment? If so I'd be sorely tempted to stump up some of my own cash as well if poss. and go for something really special. That said, I can't think of much that would match the 335i for what it does, some might say "get a new M3" but then that's 2 doors and I suspect you want a family car.

If you had say 50k to spend, one car, had to be subject to the same constraints (4 door, family car etc.) what would you get?

I'm struggling a bit with that one....
Appreciate 0