E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Intro

07-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
ATP
Banned
Rep
Drives: SRT, 335

Intro

Well, since I just joined up after a bit of lurking I figured I would make an intro post. I am currently on the search for a used AWD 335 sedan. Whether it comes in the form of an XI or an I XDrive is up in the air at this point. Been on the search for a few weeks but nothing much has caught my interest.

I currently live in notherern CT but moved here from MN. I work at a local aerospace company as an engineer.

Not sure on my current goals for the car but it will be my DD unless I get a crazy good deal and keep my SRT. I was looking at several different cars but when I drove the 335, I just knew none of the other would ever live up. Since I modded my SRT in the past I am sure I will get the bug to mod this too so I will be doing lots of reading. I am quite familiar with turbo cars so most of what I have read so far is similar to what I know from the SRT.

Once I snag one I am sure I will try to get to a few meets and get to know the local BMW crowd. In the mean time, if anyone has any tips or advice, I am all ears.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M-Sport SGM

Welcome and what SRT are you talking about exactly since SRT comes on MANY various model cars/trucks...???

You will fall in love with the way the 335 responds to mods and feels connected to the road... good luck with your search

Martino*Auto*Concepts
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
ATP
Banned
Rep

Coming form an SRT-4, hence the prior turbo knowledge. Thanks for the luck, one just popped up on the forum today that piqued my interest so we shall see. Finding these things in 6MT isn't easy.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

isnt xi and xdrive the same thing? i know the newer ones say 335i on the rear and xdrive on the side and the older ones said 335xi on the rear but other then the badge arent they the same?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M-Sport SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
isnt xi and xdrive the same thing? i know the newer ones say 335i on the rear and xdrive on the side and the older ones said 335xi on the rear but other then the badge arent they the same?
yes.

they just changed it to "x-drive" in 2009 and on. pre-2009 say "xi" on the trunk, the newer models say "x-drive" on the front fenders and "i" on the trunk...

pretty dumb..

Martino*Auto*Concepts
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
ATP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yea, they are the same thing as Alpine pointed out. It was just a roundabout way of me saying I don't know what year car I'm getting yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
Yea, they are the same thing as Alpine pointed out. It was just a roundabout way of me saying I don't know what year car I'm getting yet.
ok got it, sorry for the confusion.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #8
ATP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
ok got it, sorry for the confusion.
No problem.

What is everyone's thoughts on buying a modded 335 off the boards? I know many people feel comfortable modding the 335, but would you feel comfortable buying one that has been modded by someone else?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
reaper335
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
No problem.

What is everyone's thoughts on buying a modded 335 off the boards? I know many people feel comfortable modding the 335, but would you feel comfortable buying one that has been modded by someone else?
i'd be careful because you don't know how much that person beat on the car. i got mine from a little old man and the car was mint!

that said from what i've seen on this board the guys are pretty up front about their cars so you can do a search and see if they've complained about any issues or what not. if the price is right i'd consider it
      07-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
ATP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper335 View Post
i'd be careful because you don't know how much that person beat on the car. i got mine from a little old man and the car was mint!
Thats what I was thinking as well, I know how some people have treated their cars coming from the SRT-4 scene, and its not pretty. I have read through the majority of the users posts and threads and he seems quite knowledgeable. None of his posts give much of an incling that the car has been raced or tracked abusively, just AuotX once. The only power mods are a DCI, FMIC, and a Proceed V5 and the V5 was done in the last 5k miles. The fact that meth has not been added makes me more comfortable because the turbos probably are not getting destroyed by excessive boost. Only other major concern would be the clutch, but from his posts he seems to believe he treats it well so that will have to be determined at a test drive.

For what its worth, I have some interest in PKumarM3's car and its the one I am referencing above.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
reaper335
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.00]
if those are the only mods you should be safe. but yea go for a test drive and see for yourself
      07-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
ATP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper335 View Post
if those are the only mods you should be safe. but yea go for a test drive and see for yourself
Thanks for the advice. I am curious as to what he has done with the Procede but I think he only has the Enthusaist version so I don't think he could have inadvertantly done too much damage.
Appreciate 0