E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > EVO tyre group test results?

08-26-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

EVO tyre group test results?

Can anyone remember the results of the EVO tyre group test they did a year or so back?

I've lost the mag ('tidied' by the wife probably) and the EVO website doesn't list it...

Need to start planning for the RFT ditching!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-tyre-test.htm

I have a set of Goodyear F1 Assymetrics that I would be looking to sell. Have done about 6K miles. 235/40/18 fronts and 265/35/18 rears, let me know if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 05:01 AM   #3
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
ill give ya 150 for the set will and give you a kiss next time i see ya lol
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
I highly recommend Conti Sport Contact 3s - I've used Eagle F1s, Pilot Sports and all sorts - the Contis last very well, grip very well and are unbeatable in the wet.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post

I have a set of Goodyear F1 Assymetrics that I would be looking to sell. Have done about 6K miles. 235/40/18 fronts and 265/35/18 rears, let me know if you are interested.
Cheers for the link Will.

Are those F1 sizes a little oversized compared to the standard 225/40/18 & 255/35/18? How do they look? The standard 255 PS2 looks a bit too wide and bulbous IMO on my rear MV3 already.

As an aside to your offer, I have never found a tyre fitter that will fit tyres they have not supplied, let alone used tyres, for obvious litigation reasons...what if they fail....have they been damaged....not insured....not allowed....company policy....etc

This includes all the usual nationwide suspects and several local independants.

Maybe I could buy some tyre levers and have a bash??
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
I highly recommend Conti Sport Contact 3s - I've used Eagle F1s, Pilot Sports and all sorts - the Contis last very well, grip very well and are unbeatable in the wet.
I've ru the conti 3s for long while now I too rate them highly. They don't last long for me though.
      08-26-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

Are those F1 sizes a little oversized compared to the standard 225/40/18 & 255/35/18? How do they look? The standard 255 PS2 looks a bit too wide and bulbous IMO on my rear MV3 already.

As an aside to your offer, I have never found a tyre fitter that will fit tyres they have not supplied, let alone used tyres, for obvious litigation reasons...what if they fail....have they been damaged....not insured....not allowed....company policy....etc

I supplied my own tyres for years with no issue.
      08-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

This the only picture I can find showing the tyres on, on an E92 too so not much help really. But we are talking 10mm so not a huge difference in size.

I have often had tyres supplied by myself fitted at my local tyre centre. The invoice always states this so they can cover their arses. Still if you do find someone (maybe Ant (Speedreligion) could provide a contact?) then let me know.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I supplied my own tyres for years with no issue.
Who do you take them to?

A proper outfit or a mate down the pub who'll put them on for a few pints?

I've got my own tyres fitted once (309GTI in 1995), but I knew the fitter from college and he fitted them for cash when the boss was out for lunch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
I have often had tyres supplied by myself fitted at my local tyre centre.
Is it a nationwide place or a local indy firm?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Who do you take them to?

I've got my own tyres fitted once (309GTI in 1995), but I knew the fitter from college and he fitted them for cash when the boss was out for lunch....

I've never had a problem getting tyres swopped over that were supplied by me.
Only today I contacted a local independent who quoted me £10.00 per rim to take off a non runflat and replace it with a runflat supplied by me.

Kwikfit have also done it for me, it's against their company policy, but that's what back pockets are for

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
I've just moved to a set of 19" slight oversized (235F & 265R) Michelin PS2 and they are sooo much better in giving confidence than the eagle F1 I had on previous 2 years.
They grip so well (even in the wet this morning) i can't imagine them lasting as long.

They are excellent on the GT! as well, but another mate rates the Eagle F1 on his R32. a case of the right shoes for the right horse??

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by red355 View Post
I've just moved to a set of 19" slight oversized (235F & 265R) Michelin PS2 and they are sooo much better in giving confidence than the eagle F1 I had on previous 2 years.
They grip so well (even in the wet this morning) i can't imagine them lasting as long.

They are excellent on the GT! as well, but another mate rates the Eagle F1 on his R32. a case of the right shoes for the right horse??
Exactly that - right shoes for the right horse

The Eagle F1s have always done very very well on FWD cars - for some reason the handling balance and characteristics of those tyres suit the more understeery nature of FWD configurations.

Just because a particular tyre is rated very highly in one test doesn't naturally lead to it performing well when installed on another type of vehicle. However, there is always a base line in terms of performance and a highly rated tyre will still give good performance in general terms on whatever car it's installed on.

The PS2s you have on just work very well with our cars, much like the Continental Sport 3s, as do the Pirelli PZero Rosso. The PZero Nero in comparison to the Rosso version does not have the same level of compliance or feel, especially in the wet, and leads to a very tail-happy handling balance with little feedback coming through the wheel.

Incidentally, the PS2s can last a long time - I did 18,000 miles on the rear set of tyres, and just slightly less from the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #13
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Autocar also did a test using FWD Ford Mondeo and a RWD Mercedes C Class, the Goodyears came out on top in that test as well.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Exactly that - right shoes for the right horse

The Eagle F1s have always done very very well on FWD cars - for some reason the handling balance and characteristics of those tyres suit the more understeery nature of FWD configurations.

Just because a particular tyre is rated very highly in one test doesn't naturally lead to it performing well when installed on another type of vehicle. However, there is always a base line in terms of performance and a highly rated tyre will still give good performance in general terms on whatever car it's installed on.

The PS2s you have on just work very well with our cars, much like the Continental Sport 3s, as do the Pirelli PZero Rosso. The PZero Nero in comparison to the Rosso version does not have the same level of compliance or feel, especially in the wet, and leads to a very tail-happy handling balance with little feedback coming through the wheel.

Incidentally, the PS2s can last a long time - I did 18,000 miles on the rear set of tyres, and just slightly less from the fronts.
Can understand how teh fronts wear quicker than the rears..they have given the car so much more extra pointiness ... i might even keep it a while longer.

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Who do you take them to?

ATS mate, none Bigger than that!
      08-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #16
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

I have just bought some VMR wheels and they are fitted with the new Yokohama ADO8'S they look the nuts will post pics soon.
      08-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #17
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
I have just bought some VMR wheels and they are fitted with the new Yokohama ADO8'S they look the nuts will post pics soon.
!!!!

In for pictures
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrian @ eas View Post
!!!!

In for pictures

Won't be long Buddy just soooooo busy at work not had chance to fit them yet , will try and get them on at the Weekend
      08-27-2009, 02:51 AM   #19
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Can anyone remember the results of the EVO tyre group test they did a year or so back?

I've lost the mag ('tidied' by the wife probably) and the EVO website doesn't list it...

Need to start planning for the RFT ditching!
The vredesteins are great value from camskill.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2009, 02:54 AM   #20
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
I had wondered about the Evo test being mainly FWD.

The Conti 3's have been on top of my list for a while now..

P zero rosso - might have a look, what do you currently run on yours Tony?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #21
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535d, E90 335d

Tyre Choice

I have had a few of the aforementioned tyres over the last few years on my BMW 330d. Michelin Pilot Sports, then PS2 ....good wear too, excellent in dry though I thought not so great in wet.

Conti's (Contact Sport 2s / 3s) not so good in dry, better in wet though wore more quickly.

Goodyear Eagle F1 asym's I thought best of the bunch and the last tyres I had, based on the Evo review.

Since I've had the RFTs Bridgestones on my 335d and they've not been bad in terms of wear, but handling / stiff side walls affecting ride and handling as has been oft mentioned.

I'd like to try Vredesteins next on the 335d, attacted to the good prices on Camskill.

Just ordered a set of Vredesteins for my wife's car today, often I use that as a test mule before trying tyres on BM! As per EVO review, supposed to be very good in wet and very good value. I must say, most of the tyres I've had handle well in the dry.... it's when it's wet things get quite lairy and that's what I'm most interested in hence Vredesteins (and my spiralling tyre budget).

I was surprised at how good the (quite ugly) Kumho's have been on the Volvo. The wet grip has been better than the Conti Sport3's I had on that before.... though they do wear quite quickly.

Next year will have winter tyres for sure. I was going to order some in December though the tyre merchant essentially talked me out of it saying they were a waste of time.... (clearly not the view of enthusiasts... see recent Evo comparison of Jag XFR)!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #22
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirocheter View Post

Next year will have winter tyres for sure. I was going to order some in December though the tyre merchant essentially talked me out of it saying they were a waste of time.... (clearly not the view of enthusiasts... see recent Evo comparison of Jag XFR)!
Not the best tyre merchant eh?

After fitting my winters I was well chuffed when Evo did their cold weather tyre review (as they are correctly called)

The article even managed to justify it to the still fuming wife - well done Evo.
Appreciate 0