E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede boost at gear change on auto

09-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #89
Choolgooz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
I didn't have a chance to try things out today.

Whats your boost showing as? It was raining yesterday so i didn't run but will probably go out tonight. I don't think its a fueling issue for me. Other codes would pop up if it was a fuel issue. I haven't had any codes as of yet on my car with the 7-29 stage 1 map.
Dont have a gauge and my have not had a chance to log it . Laptop cant keep charge for too long, it does if i shake it ( loose batter or something)
      10-01-2009, 02:18 AM   #90
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: in the rain...cuz its Portland

Going to swap coils by next week since my spark plugs are brand new. If misfire follows then I'm going in for warranty replacement. If not coils - its injectors. If not injectors..umm fuel pump. So far my limp is due to misfire on 6th at 6k near redline. Otherwise, safe ds gear shifts occur mainly under 10 psi. After trial and error I am convinced it is hardware.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #91
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyr View Post
Ran 74% UT, 80% IgCor, and 0 Upshift. 60°F Ran 1st through 4th 3 or 4 times. No CEL or Misfires. I think the misfire was coming from higher air intake temps now that it's cooler out problem solved.
That actually makes some sense since boost pressure rises with higher ambient temperatures to compensate for the thinner air density.

So in cooler weather, your psi will be a little lower.....therefore less likely to blow out the spark plug
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #92
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parachute>Seatbelts View Post
Going to swap coils by next week since my spark plugs are brand new. If misfire follows then I'm going in for warranty replacement. If not coils - its injectors. If not injectors..umm fuel pump. So far my limp is due to misfire on 6th at 6k near redline. Otherwise, safe ds gear shifts occur mainly under 10 psi. After trial and error I am convinced it is hardware.
I would disagree! I have the exact same issue. If I switch maps, misfire goes away. Try swapping the coils and see. In my case, I swapped coils, didn't follow; had injectors checked out, all passed; fuel pump passed as well.

Like shiv said, this is a beta map. He may need to make adjustments on it!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #93
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

But I limp on non beta map (7-29 stage 3)?? I don't limp on valet and stage 1s

Last edited by Parachute>Seatbelts; 10-01-2009 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #94
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
But I limp on non beta map (7-29 stage 3)?? I don't limp on valet and stage 1s
The question is, do you limp on the 9-9 Stage 1 map? We have 1 confirmed person running stage 1 9-9 and not having issues. My car's getting an alignment right now but i'm trying this tonight to see if it limps out or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #95
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Help clarify this for me. So if I don't limp on Stage 1 on 9-9..what does that mean? Because I already limp on Stage 3 (7-29) AND (9-9)beta which leads me to believe a hardware can't handle that much boost. Wouldn't that just add to saying I can only run on low boost maps or valet - making beta irrelevant?

I have misfire 6 near redline and 2E9F code.

Are you able to run stage 3 yet? Curious if you get the same results on higher stage.

I'll run Stage 1 9-9 tonight with default settings except 02 sim 80% and will keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #96
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Like I said guys, the 9-9 maps were specifically designed for 6MTs. They have worked fine on the vast majority of 6ATs that have run them. But they are more aggressive at the shift point in terms of boost pressure. Which is why everyone likes them.

However, if your car doesn't like the beta maps, go back to the nonbeta maps and enjoy driving. If, for some reason, the older maps cause misfire up top, go through and check your hardware (spark plugs&coils) because there are hundreds of 6ATs using those maps without any issues whatsoever.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #97
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Roger that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Like I said guys, the 9-9 maps were specifically designed for 6MTs. They have worked fine on the vast majority of 6ATs that have run them. But they are more aggressive at the shift point in terms of boost pressure. Which is why everyone likes them.

However, if your car doesn't like the beta maps, go back to the nonbeta maps and enjoy driving. If, for some reason, the older maps cause misfire up top, go through and check your hardware (spark plugs&coils) because there are hundreds of 6ATs using those maps without any issues whatsoever.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #98
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Shiv
Any eta's on the beta auto maps?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 12:31 AM   #99
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
I had the same symptoms as you, and for me, it was the HPFP.

Quote:
+1 no long cranks, rev 2, dci, dps, fully catless, fmic, dv, and limp everytime near redline or aggressive WOT. However, I've limped even when I drove DS manual. I own a 2009 AT, 3000miles, brand new plugs as well...No limp in valet mode. BUT sometimes I don't limp...its like 70% chance of limp....going to dealership when I can. Will keep you guys posted -if you don't hear from me...im STILL limping.

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #100
orionredwing
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
I am an auto, and I have no probs since installing the 9-9-9 maps. My mods in my sig, running 80% UT 100% ign.

I triggered limp mode once last night on a 1/4 mile run at Infineon using 96oct 85% UT 100% ign. It was the same auto-kickdown issue on WOT, DS limp mode mentioned at the beginning of this thread. My error code was:

P1121 Pedal Position 1 Range/Performance Problem

I cleared it, lowered UT to 80% 100% ign, and made sure I never hit kick-down again. I ran fine the rest of the night going WOT using both DS and manual shifting.

So no issues here. I had a brief issue on the 7-29 maps in this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295953

Consulting w/ Shiv and Dustin, we chalked it up to a random occurence of 100F temps and maybe a bad tank of gas. I had no FMIC back then, so my guess is the 100F temps. No problems since then. I was just paranoid back then because I just replaced my HPFP.

Sorry, I never had the same probs as you guys, but hope my AT input helps.

Quote:
It would be nice to know if any autos are running the new map without issues??
Quote:
The question is, do you limp on the 9-9 Stage 1 map? We have 1 confirmed person running stage 1 9-9 and not having issues. My car's getting an alignment right now but i'm trying this tonight to see if it limps out or not.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 01:31 AM   #101
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
I am an auto, and I have no probs since installing the 9-9-9 maps. My mods in my sig, running 80% UT 100% ign.

I triggered limp mode once last night on a 1/4 mile run at Infineon using 96oct 85% UT 100% ign. It was the same auto-kickdown issue on WOT, DS limp mode mentioned at the beginning of this thread. My error code was:

P1121 Pedal Position 1 Range/Performance Problem

I cleared it, lowered UT to 80% 100% ign, and made sure I never hit kick-down again. I ran fine the rest of the night going WOT using both DS and manual shifting.

So no issues here. I had a brief issue on the 7-29 maps in this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295953

Consulting w/ Shiv and Dustin, we chalked it up to a random occurence of 100F temps and maybe a bad tank of gas. I had no FMIC back then, so my guess is the 100F temps. No problems since then. I was just paranoid back then because I just replaced my HPFP.

Sorry, I never had the same probs as you guys, but hope my AT input helps.
Thanks for your input! Every little bit helps for sure, dude! Just curious, what stage are you running on the map?

I just came back from testing. 9-9 Stage 1 defaults, (70% UT 100%ign) not problems on my car tonight. Temps are cooler though

I was a bit annoyed though... I was testing (logging) the stage 2 map and a 996 turbo showed up so my driver decided to take him on. We did great (though the 996 driver needed a lesson on how to launch) but we were infront by a car and stayed there but we couldn't go higher speeds. The issue was that my driver didn't look down fast enough and just past 6000rpm, WHAM..... limp mode...

I read about all this MT records being broken and kicking ass and being faster than the auto's but my auto doesnt seem to run....

I think i may have to see what else is available until this is all sorted out... I want fast and i want fast right now
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #102
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Oh, paranoia just kicked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
I had the same symptoms as you, and for me, it was the HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 02:02 AM   #103
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh, paranoia just kicked in.

Shes gonna blow, capi-tan... i cant hold her together no more....

sorry... had to...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #104
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My flux capacitor is outa JUICE

Quote:

Shes gonna blow, capi-tan... i cant hold her together no more....

sorry... had to...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 02:32 AM   #105
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys,
Just to clarify, the private (email only) beta maps that I've been emailing around for the last couple of weeks actually ran less peak boost (which occurred at 5500-6000rpm) than previous maps (7-29 and earlier). This was the case in all stages.

With the public (posted on the forum) beta maps, we brought boost targets back to where they have been for the past several months in Stg 2 and 3. Stg 1 still has the slightly reduced peak boost.

So no, we did not raise boost with the new maps. We actually dropped them during trial testing and then brought them back up to normal

And yes, even at lower boost pressures, the private beta maps were quicker than any previous map. The public beta maps should be even more so. And even more so once we release the 6MT throttle lag fix!

Shiv

This would explain why stage 1 works fine for most of us!

Actually talked to a buddy right now and he has a 335 with JB3 on it. He's willing to swap tunes with me to see if the problem follows. Shiv says the maps were designed for a manual but auto's are running it fine without issues but before he said it must be the car, (plugs and or coil) I went out and bought a set of plugs and up here in Canada (we have the up the a_s tax) so plugs cost $25 each plus 12% tax so costly. I also ended up picking up another coil as a just in case thing and that ran me another $75 plus tax...

So for the price of a set of plugs and a coil, i could almost have another tune

While i do agree that most times, it's the user, in my case it would have been nice to know that the map was geared more for the manuals....I read through the entire 9-9 map thread and no where did it mention it was tuned for a MT but may work on an auto. I did all this testing, and i can honestly say, i really doubt its my car.. I kept thinking it was more an auto map as there was a MT Bog fix coming out right after for the manuals...

oh well... rant over...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #106
orionredwing
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
I'm running Stg 2 defaults now UT 80% Ign 100%, but set my overboost limit to 18psi.

Prior to FMIC, Stg 1 75% UT Ign ??% was the best I can do. It bogged down at 80% UT 100% Ign (very noticeable reduction....acceleration feeling became smooth instead of aggressive).

On the street, I also run fine at Stg 2 UT 85% Ign 100%, but I keep that on my map switcher. It's always cool to run a little less than max potential so you can feel a little more kick when your by-the-butt dyno gets used to the new power.

Once I validate that 85% UT is reliable, I will dial back and run every day at 75% w/ a 'power' mode of 85% UT. I think it's cool to mimic a 'power' button feature that's present in many cars and you really need a 10% UT change to feel a noticeable difference by-the-butt (5% change just feels like it's running a bit stronger.

Lastly, I'm glad I can run at least 80% UT cuz I'm so not an exhaust person, and was afraid I'd be too 'restricted' w/o aftermarket exhaust. My car is an excellent sleeper.

Quote:
Thanks for your input! Every little bit helps for sure, dude! Just curious, what stage are you running on the map?

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #107
twinturbopg
How you like them apples?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
True that Shiv. Ever since you retuned that night (which btw Shiv is flippin awesome, to look at my car for free and clear out my codes and just go on some test runs and just man idk what to say other than definitely best 1st time experience with tuning a car for my first time 'btw I think I might know somebody for that thing you are looking for ') my chip I haven't had any misfires...like you said the issue probably is the spark plugs...I'm making sure I stay under 5500 to 6000 rpm when changing gears...but last night I down shifted a lil quick and almost tapped 7000rpm lol...I quickly up-shifted and the car was okay.

I've been looking for OEM Bosch spark plugs, best price is $14 for each @ local bay area shop (if it works out I will post that info or PM me- if you know someplace cheaper let me know)...but I am going to need to buy the tool for the spark plugs which is the remaining issue before I replace my current ones, I'm still searching for that one. So far only saw one on Tischer bmw's website for $60.

FYI...I'm currently at like 24,500 miles with original Spark plugs.

Quote:

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #108
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Found out the plastic boost line to my turbos was causing leak in addition to my limp. Still going to dealership for misfire but I was shifting fine today at 12psi.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #109
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Found out the plastic boost line to my turbos was causing leak in addition to my limp. Still going to dealership for misfire but I was shifting fine today at 12psi.
How did you troubleshoot this?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 02:44 AM   #110
Parachute>Seatbelts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Limp is fixed. I went to change suspension on vehicle. When it was lifted with heatshield off noticed light oil pouring out of the boost pipe(plastic) near turbo and dp entry. So pretty much a boost leak - pipe was stressed at connection. Tech pushed it back in and I have been limp free and hitting 16lbs. Fix might be temporary so I don't want to expect too much but...hitting 16..its been a long time since I've seen that number. Still going to dealership to make sure all is good. I will probably do a log run in the next couple days to confirm this. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0