E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Modify OEM exhaust to sound like PE exhaust

11-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #573
M2M2M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
Another one has been compromised boys. Squirrel thinks the BMW agents got to him once they learned he was going to tell the secrets of the holy PE Exhaust. Solving the PE riddle is like the Da Vinci Code!
Damn those BMW Agents. We wants the precious. We needs the precious.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #574
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
sorry on the thread jack... since there's a lot of folks been talking, but no one really pull a trigger on yet. im tempting to open my PE and see if i can take out some packing and do something to the pipes to make it a little loud. i've had my PE for 3 years+, it sounds kind of tame to me now, lack of the high rpm tone... i want a sound level between PE and meisterschaft race. that would be awesome =)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #575
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok View Post
sorry on the thread jack... since there's a lot of folks been talking, but no one really pull a trigger on yet. im tempting to open my PE and see if i can take out some packing and do something to the pipes to make it a little loud. i've had my PE for 3 years+, it sounds kind of tame to me now, lack of the high rpm tone... i want a sound level between PE and meisterschaft race. that would be awesome =)
You're back at it LOL! Looking forward to hear your results.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #576
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

Quote:
Please do it, you'll finally solve our mystery and go down in history.
      11-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #577
kiteboy
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E92 Stage 2 BR Performance

After 2 month performance exhaust is very good!!!! Beautiful sound with pop off on deceleration...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #578
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yep, i talked to my guy and i will head over to his muffler shop and put my PE under the surgery table in T minus 3.5 hours.

i'll try to take some pictures of how the inside of the PE looks and some sound clips (rev, in-car) after the boob job =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
You're back at it LOL! Looking forward to hear your results.
yep bro, i know you still are too =)
we were never happy with the PE for so long

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY. View Post
i figured people just keep talking but no one actually does it... might as well im gonna be the white mouse and do this shit to my PE..
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #579
M2M2M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

i figured people just keep talking but no one actually does it... might as well im gonna be the white mouse and do this shit to my PE..
You are a beautiful person. Let's just hope the BMW agents dont get to you first like they did with WhiteFury.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #580
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiana Jones View Post
You are a beautiful person. Let's just hope the BMW agents dont get to you first like they did with WhiteFury.
oh yea... definitely! just bare with me im not a great person to do posting... i have to send all the pics back to my email and then resize, and host it. videos should be in youtube.

if it enhances the original sound from the PE to a even better sounding exhaust (at least it roars more at high rpm), that will save you guys another trip and just jump from stock to "modified PE" version. finger cross i hope it will sound good...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #581
Jettin123
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 Audi s4

Quote:
yep, i talked to my guy and i will head over to his muffler shop and put my PE under the surgery table in T minus 3.5 hours

YES!!! Can't wait to see what the difference is!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #582
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY. View Post
From this day forth, November 6th shall be remembered as lawwailok day (how the f*ck do you say that?). Of course, that's assuming the BMW agents don't capture you or make a deal with the NSA to reroute your future posts to the internet wasteland.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #583
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

Quote:
From this day forth, November 6th shall be remembered as lawwailok day (how the f*ck do you say that?). Of course, that's assuming the BMW agents don't capture you or make a deal with the NSA to reroute your future posts to the internet wasteland.
it must never be pronounced out loud.
      11-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #584
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
BMW agents lol they offered me a bargain. Forget what I did or lose my car. Hahaha lmao

I actually would say that ripping open a PE exhaust with the intent to make it louder will result in 3 things. 1. A louder exhaust. 2. Tons of drone 3.lost $1300.00

The PE exhaust already has great flow the only thing that will make it louder will be removing the H type pipe connector or the packing which will create drone.

To mod the inside of the factory exhaust without having drone there needs to be equalization.

JB4 Stage 2 | Injen CAI | BMW PE | AR Catless DP | Alpina TCU Flash | Eibach Pro Kit | Custom TCKline Koni's | 19" M359 Wheels | DWS Tires
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #585
M2M2M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFury View Post
BMW agents lol they offered me a bargain. Forget what I did or lose my car. Hahaha lmao

I actually would say that ripping open a PE exhaust with the intent to make it louder will result in 3 things. 1. A louder exhaust. 2. Tons of drone 3.lost $1300.00

The PE exhaust already has great flow the only thing that will make it louder will be removing the H type pipe connector or the packing which will create drone.

To mod the inside of the factory exhaust without having drone there needs to be equalization.
How dare you post something and it not be what you did to your beautiful exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #586
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOLOLOL!!!!

didn't you see my sig? call me ERIC! LMFAO!!!!
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #587
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

i don't like to assume stuff. if i wonder, i'll be the one who actually experiment it. as your assumption,
1 - yes i want a louder PE exhaust
2 - drone, probably not, i played with my exhaust system more than you can think of. 2nd kitty is the key of drone in major case, then the x-pipe/mid resonator
3 - i paid less than that, and i've already thinking about changing up my exhaust anyway, there's no lose if tone isn't great. it's 2 sided, yes it would be a waste to open up a $1k+ exhaust which came perfect from factory, but i look at this way, if there will be something brighter, i would love to spend my money on.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #588
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok
Quote:

i don't like to assume stuff. if i wonder, i'll be the one who actually experiment it. as your assumption,
1 - yes i want a louder PE exhaust
2 - drone, probably not, i played with my exhaust system more than you can think of. 2nd kitty is the key of drone in major case, then the x-pipe/mid resonator
3 - i paid less than that, and i've already thinking about changing up my exhaust anyway, there's no lose if tone isn't great. it's 2 sided, yes it would be a waste to open up a $1k+ exhaust which came perfect from factory, but i look at this way, if there will be something brighter, i would love to spend my money on.
Drone is sound waves. The direction and cancellation. Experimentation is great. I do however have many years under my belt as a sound expert and drone has everything to do with sound absorption and placement.

E92 coupe with muffler deletes will have drone, if it has a modified muffler like mine there is none.

The reason I was able to make this work is my knowledge on sound.

JB4 Stage 2 | Injen CAI | BMW PE | AR Catless DP | Alpina TCU Flash | Eibach Pro Kit | Custom TCKline Koni's | 19" M359 Wheels | DWS Tires
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #589
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:

Dammit! I thought you escaped and returned to explain what you did to your exhaust. Instead, you spent the precious typing instilling fear on someone else who was going to spill the beans. You've switched sides, WhiteFury. You're working for them now...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #590
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

Quote:
Drone is sound waves. The direction and cancellation. Experimentation is great. I do however have many years under my belt as a sound expert and drone has everything to do with sound absorption and placement.

E92 coupe with muffler deletes will have drone, if it has a modified muffler like mine there is none.

So... are you going to share your knowledge on sound with everyone else and show us what you did??
      11-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #591
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
someone gotta show me how to post pic from the bimmerpost app on android. I'll keep the pic live as I'm heading to the muffler shop now
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #592
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I don't get you.

What's the point of you coming back and acting like a know-it-all on this topic, having apparently figured out something everyone's dying to find out, yet keeping it a secret and flaunting the fact you know something noone else has discovered?

Is this seriously your way of contributing to the forum?

Wow.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #593
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

These couple pages have been nothing but garbage. Well have answers soon. As in hours.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #594
WhiteFury
Boooost!
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't get you.

What's the point of you coming back and acting like a know-it-all on this topic, having apparently figured out something everyone's dying to find out, yet keeping it a secret and flaunting the fact you know something noone else has discovered?

Is this seriously your way of contributing to the forum?

Wow.
Actually. I am working to make sure that it wasnt co-incidence. I currently made another muffler and just finished installing it. I wanted to make sure it was 100% before I go spilling beans to which may be nothing more than a mess.

Forgive me for trying to provide accurate results instead of guesses. I am the only one who has a modded factory muffler that replicates the PE exhaust. I just wanted to make sure so I have held off until today where I have finsihed a second muffler that sounds the exact same.

Here are the results. I can confirm as of 1 hour ago when I finished the second exhaust muffler that my method is consistant.

Step 1. cut the top of the muffler. Both of them.

Step 2. remove packcing on the perforated pipe (passenger side)

Step 3. replace passenger side perf pipe with straight stainless pipe.

Step 4. cut the canister out of the driver side. This WILL require cutting of the other side. I used a plasma cutter and only took 1 minute. (there is no packing on this side its inside the canister. No need to open it.

Step 5. replace driver side with stainless straight pipe.

Step 6. remove approximately 20% of the packing in the H/Y cross pipe on each side. (DO NOT CUT, OR TAMPER WITH THESE PIPES! AS ITS THE ONLY THING THAT TRULY KILLS THE DRONE! THIS IS THE SECRET EVERYONE HAS WANTED. SILLY YES BUT TRUE)

Step 7. Put back 75% of the packing in passenger side, pack tight all around.

Step 8. take the 25% from the passenger side muffler and the 20% from the two center pipes and stuff nicely on the driver side muffler so they are all equal.

Step 9. weld everything shut.

The car below 2500 rpms doesnt make enough pressure to generate complete straight trough exhaust and a good portion will get trapped in the cross pipe. Thus having the perforated pipe and packing stop drone and rasp.

At high rpms the pipes act as a bridged straight pipe. The packing in both mufflers stop the drone, rattle and help silence other things as well.

Sound is tricky. The only way to stop drone is to physically absorb it. Drone is like dead zones in a recording studio in a sense. So the rockwool is actually absorbing the drone from the staright pipes.

If you remove more than I have recommended you risk more drone, and the exhaust wont be much louder.

I will have pictures later.

Appreciate 2
course0.00