E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Are E92 grills single moulded plastic or two piece?

01-17-2024, 02:37 PM   #1
lulu92
Rep
Drives: e92

Are E92 grills single moulded plastic or two piece?

I’m trying to get 335is style grills. Black outer grill, and chrome inner slats similar to the photo provided. Was wondering if they come apart in two pieces;
1: The outer grill
2: the inner slats

I’m getting conflicting answers; some people tell me it’s ONE single moulded plastic so I’d have to paint or custom make the grills. Others are telling me they have done it, where they removed the 2 parts from each other and just replaced either the slats or the outer part of the grill.

I was hoping to just buy black grills from Amazon and then insert my OEM chrome slats onto them. I have a PRE LCI model if that helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 06:50 PM   #2
mrjimyjohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i xdrive

Almost certainly an amazon version will be one piece. OEM are two piece at least on my 2010 e92 328
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 06:28 AM   #3
KKevin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu92 View Post

I was hoping to just buy black grills from Amazon and then insert my OEM chrome slats onto them. I have a PRE LCI model if that helps.
I had to do this combination temporarily cause of an accident. OEM Grille attached to Amazon frame. (Until my new order came in from CHN 6 weeks later)

I cant speak on the pre-LCI model, cause I have an LCI. Mines happens to be two pieces on my 4 door E90.

I would say, you cant trust attaching an OEM and Off-brand product together especially the grille. Their clip points might/are slightly different. I had to slightly trim a clip point with sand paper and super glue to hold it in

Last edited by KKevin; 01-19-2024 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 01:02 PM   #4
lulu92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimyjohn View Post
Almost certainly an amazon version will be one piece. OEM are two piece at least on my 2010 e92 328
Appreciate it. I will most likely just buy OEM ones then. Hopefully the pre lci ones are two pieces as well
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 01:04 PM   #5
lulu92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKevin View Post
I would say, you cant trust attaching an OEM and Off-brand product together especially the grille. Their clip points might/are slightly different. I had to slightly trim a clip point with sand paper and super glue to hold it in
Thanks! I guess I’ll find myself an OEM grill to make this process a little easier. Hopefully the PRE lci ones come off as two pieces lol
Appreciate 0