E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Service History Check?

07-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
JSONKSON
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A

Service History Check?

I tried calling local dealerships for a copy of the service history of 2 used 335i's I'm trying to buy, and they're giving me the run around about some privacy law.

Could someone please run this vins for me?

WBAWB73547P036468

WBAWB73557P023566

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
blackhawkk22
They don't want you to drive a 335i - DJ Khaled
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335i AT M-Sport

1. When the service adviser runs a service history check on your BMW, first of all you'll only get things that a BMW standalone dealership has done

2. When the run the report, the document itself shows - not to be redistributed, copied, shared and all that legal stuff. If an adviser is sharing that information it is their discretion; however by policy they will not share that info.

3. I called Chapman BMW in Arizona and they we're more than helpful. I would give them a shot!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
ecamp55
Road Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Cabrio

+1 for Chapman, that's my go-to dealer when I'm home
      07-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Make friends with your local BMW dealer. I know a guy working at the local one in Jackson, whenever I've wanted VINs run he's always helped. Just gotta know people
      07-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So here are my thoughts. We all know (and debate) that engine oil service performed by BMW is based on the CBS schedule, which can be anywhere between less than 12,000 miles (low mileage 12-month change) and up to or sometimes over 15,000 miles. So worst case the engine in either car saw 15,000 mile oil changes. If you are not comfortable with 15K OCIs then neither car is worth your consideration. That said, if the previous owner(s) had intermediate oil changes and the shop (or the owner) didn't reset the CBS, you'll never know if the car had oil changes less than 15,000 miles (max).

The age and mileage of the car will tell you if the car saw low-mileage OCIs or not. Any other maintenance items (diff, trans, coolant) are all 100,000 mile intervals, so if either car is under 100,000 you can reasonably assume neither had any driveline service done. If any repairs were done under warranty, say a water pump / t-stat, or HPFP, what do you care? The car was fixed and it has no bearing on the longevity you'll get out of the car if you buy it. What you'll never know is how the car was driven, which IMO is the biggest factor to consider. It's a crapshoot my friend.

Good luck with the decision.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #6
mike5809
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport [LeMans Blue]

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
That said, if the previous owner(s) had intermediate oil changes and the shop (or the owner) didn't reset the CBS, you'll never know if the car had oil changes less than 15,000 miles (max).
Not true if the oil changes were done at a BMW dealership, then the service will show....nothing to do with CBS. And BMW won't reset the CBS for intermediate oil changes, at least while still under maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5809 View Post
Not true if the oil changes were done at a BMW dealership, then the service will show....nothing to do with CBS. And BMW won't reset the CBS for intermediate oil changes, at least while still under maintenance.
If they don't reset the oil service monitor in the CBS it will probably not show up in the service database that is available nationally at any BMW dealership. Also, the key keeps track of the maintenance done on the car by BMW at a dealership, which again needs the CBS oil life monitor to be reset. My point is that at worst case the engine has seen BMW CBS oil service scheduled, which can be as high as 15,000 mile OCIs, so if the OP is okay with 15K oil services then he really doesn't need to know the service details.

The OP could ask the sell to get the information for him. When I bought my Z4 in December from CarMax, I took the car to a BMW dealer for an inspection and alignment. I asked the SA for a list of the service performed by BMW, he gave me the printout with the previous owner's name redacted.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0