E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Apprehensive about buying...

11-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #23
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
That's great then if you've decided upon an E92 - cool!

Whilst I appreciate what you're saying regarding the financial outlay, I do think you're maybe trying to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's, and play the percentages game with your questions. Nobody hand on heart, can categorically say that any E92 you purchase will never have any faults in any guise. Whatever marque you buy, they're all built to a price imo and are produced in large numbers. That isn't taking anything away from the very impressive engineering the cars are built around.

I've heard some not very good stories about quality of paintwork and gearbox problems on new AM's which cost more than any of the cars mentioned here, so I don't know.

I agree with you though that when spending that sort of money, you are quire right to expect certain standards of quality in the product and after care from the supporting dealer networks!

Sometimes it takes a 'leap of faith' as you can never be 100% certain. For all I know you could be a right picky customer type and a PITA

Make it known at the dealership that you're the 'fair but firm' type.......set out your stall from the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #24
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Sometimes it takes a 'leap of faith' as you can never be 100% certain. For all I know you could be a right picky customer type and a PITA

Make it known at the dealership that you're the 'fair but firm' type.......set out your stall from the beginning.
That's me all over

Incidently chances are I will be using my local Sytner...but I hear they are a bit hit and miss with regards to service. Might I be better off hitting up Park Lane/Battersea (I couldnt find contact details for Battersea but have seen them mentioned a few times??).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #25
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Good write up Helen...

BMW +ve

Car itself looks nice...I prefer the looks the the e92 to the A5....

You get more value/ bhp for money ....and as some say...the handling performance and fun rwd factor....

HOWEVER....

IF THINGS GO WRONG....( by wrong I mean, cracked alloys, engine warning lights, car pulling to the left, idrive doesn't work, alarm doesn't work, oil spillage, etc)

then

BE READY TO FACE POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM BMW UK...UNLESS YOU'RE LUCKY TO FIND A GOOD DEALERSHIP ....

For the cracked alloys, it had to go to on TV for them to react finally...and people had to really fight for their consumer rights!...

No, seriously they will treat you like shit!....

One thing, I would say, if you think the juice is worth the squeeze....then, ask them how they deal with "issues"....

ask them what happens if I buy the car and after a few days it doesn't wana start?...wat do I do?

ask them, what if I notice that there's a leak close to the roof top....wat do i do?...

ask them, what if i get engine warning lights?....do i get a replacement car for free?....while the repairs are being undertaken?...

ask them...what if i'm driving and i feel that the car is pulling to the left....will you blame it on the roads?...on my driving?....(bmw uk blamed the roads for the cracked alloys)

ask them questions....those bastards....and make them to give you a "future" potential solution IN WRITING IF POSSIBLE....

I just hate them!....

Sorry about the bad language...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #26
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
and remember...e90post have got some really good people who will advice and help you if they can....

I know when I was getting buttfcuked by BMW Customer service, I had the support of few people on here....
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #27
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
IF THINGS GO WRONG....

then

BE READY TO FACE POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM BMW UK...UNLESS YOU'RE LUCKY TO FIND A GOOD DEALERSHIP ....
Well why not say what you really feel?!
Sounds like a nightmare.........but are Audi any better? Good friend of mine has had exactly the same poor service from the Audi dealership.
And I've read scathing things about Benz dealers too.

To the OP.........look if you are so worried about aftersales issues and want peace of mind then buy a Lexus, or a Honda.
But if you want to smile every time you drive the car......E92 335d or i is the best pound for pound practical but fast car you can get, in my opinion.

Or, to be blunt - just do it!

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #28
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I'm with blunt mike. You will love
the car. As Me Nike would say "just do it"
      11-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #29
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
That's me all over

Incidently chances are I will be using my local Sytner...but I hear they are a bit hit and miss with regards to service. Might I be better off hitting up Park Lane/Battersea (I couldnt find contact details for Battersea but have seen them mentioned a few times??).
Steer clear of Sytner-Chigwell absolutely shocking
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #30
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
look if you are so worried about aftersales issues and want peace of mind then buy a Lexus, or a Honda.
Hrm...now there's food for thought, I had not even considered Lexus...but even if I do get a Lexus I will look at the E92 (especially the 335d/i) with lust.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #31
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
Steer clear of Sytner-Chigwell absolutely shocking
Ah crap. Those are the fellas I was going to use (a friend of mine picked up his 5er from there a few years back).

That leaves Harold Wood and to be fair people (including people here) have had shockers with them too, until that is Darren joined up here and got things moving. Maybe HW is the way forward because at least if things go badly I can get in touch with Darren via this site? (No pressure Darren!!).

This is totally lame, the sodding E92 has run away with my heart (possibly my head too but not quite yet)...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #32
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Hrm...now there's food for thought, I had not even considered Lexus...but even if I do get a Lexus I will look at the E92 (especially the 335d/i) with lust.
I thank the learned gentleman for his reply, and, m'lud......I rest my case.
Lexus, lovely swish posh cars, dealers will actually come to your house and do the washing up - that's how good their customer service is.
But you're still wafting along in your comfy Lexus when Mike in Hampshire flies past with a big grin on his face.
I know which car I'd rather be in for x% of each day.

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #33
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

toxic

After being in a e90 330d I fancied a change, the 335i e92 I bought last month did the job. I suspect its a better drivers car as a manual, but I really need an auto. Over the last 10 year I've been on the receiving end of really bad BMW serivce, and some really good service. Ultimately, for the money, you wont get an all round better car. [other marques we've had in the household include Volvo, VW, toyota, and they too can be good or bad,]

Improve your odds by doing your homework, no need to risk a high milage car, be patient and get the one with the spec you want. If you can, but from a dealer you can easily get to if things do go wrong.

If you're really concerned, get a independent RAC type inspection - they'll pick up and repaints/respray etc that the AUC wouldnt. I usually make a point of contacting the previous owner, although this time I couldnt be arsed. By the way, the AUC warranty is pretty good.

I also looked at A5's, not enough room in the back, and an offset driving position put me off. A well built car with a great interior imho.

So as my father in law used to say , "Shit, or get off the pot"
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #34
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Good points from Paul regarding an RAC inspection etc.

Also Toxic, try Sytner High Wycome.
      11-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #35
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
I thank the learned gentleman for his reply, and, m'lud......I rest my case.
Lexus, lovely swish posh cars, dealers will actually come to your house and do the washing up - that's how good their customer service is.
But you're still wafting along in your comfy Lexus when Mike in Hampshire flies past with a big grin on his face.
I know which car I'd rather be in for x% of each day.

Mike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
toxic

After being in a e90 330d I fancied a change, the 335i e92 I bought last month did the job. I suspect its a better drivers car as a manual, but I really need an auto. Over the last 10 year I've been on the receiving end of really bad BMW serivce, and some really good service. Ultimately, for the money, you wont get an all round better car. [other marques we've had in the household include Volvo, VW, toyota, and they too can be good or bad,]

Improve your odds by doing your homework, no need to risk a high milage car, be patient and get the one with the spec you want. If you can, but from a dealer you can easily get to if things do go wrong.

If you're really concerned, get a independent RAC type inspection - they'll pick up and repaints/respray etc that the AUC wouldnt. I usually make a point of contacting the previous owner, although this time I couldnt be arsed. By the way, the AUC warranty is pretty good.

I also looked at A5's, not enough room in the back, and an offset driving position put me off. A well built car with a great interior imho.

So as my father in law used to say , "Shit, or get off the pot"
Haha!! You guys (and everyone else) are like the little angel and devil sat on my shoulders.

I am going to have to make up my mind soon...I think I will take that aforementioned "leap of faith". Hopefully as I will be buying an 09/59 car I will have a fair bit of warranty left to run during which time most issues should be covered. After that I guess I could extend or get a 3rd party warranty...

Good advice about buying from a dealer that is fairly local. I guess if things do go wrong I will benefit hugely from them being close by rather than having to trek miles each way!!

I agree about the A5 being a bit tight in the back, I've not driven one but sat in one when I was having a butchers around the local dealer.

The reason I am so fixated on the E92 is that it fits a number of criteria:

1. Sporty coupé

2. Decent size boot (sometimes I need to haul "stuff")

3. Minimum of 4 seats (sometimes I need to haul friends/family)

4. ISOFIX, I don't think I will get away with not having kids for too much longer (maybe a year or two at most!!)

I simply could not think of another car that fits the above bill in every respect...E92 it is!!!

I will keep you posted as to my progress. If I end up with a lemon rest assured that whichever dealer I do end up buying from will hear about it and be held to account!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #36
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Good points from Paul regarding an RAC inspection etc.

Also Toxic, try Sytner High Wycome.
Bit of a mission from the East End mate!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #37
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Ah crap. Those are the fellas I was going to use (a friend of mine picked up his 5er from there a few years back).

That leaves Harold Wood and to be fair people (including people here) have had shockers with them too, until that is Darren joined up here and got things moving. Maybe HW is the way forward because at least if things go badly I can get in touch with Darren via this site? (No pressure Darren!!).

This is totally lame, the sodding E92 has run away with my heart (possibly my head too but not quite yet)...
I have been one of the main critics of Harold Wood over the last couple of years and would normally stand by my original opinion of avoiding them like the plague. However the changes that have been implemented by Darren and his team have really changed the customer service approach of that dealership and certainly from a sales point of view I'd have no hesitation in going there to purchase a car.

The service side of things also seems to be improving steadily, and to be honest this was the area that really needed the attention, more so than the sales side. I haven't taken my car there yet as I have no real need to - however the reports that have been coming my way suggest things have indeed improved considerably, though not necessarily to the absolute highest standards yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 04:53 AM   #38
giotecno
THE DIESEL WEASEL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Garage List
2017 BMW 330e  [0.00]
2005 320D ES  [0.00]
Quote:
That's me all over

Toxic, I have had my last 4 services done at BMW Battersea and they are good both in terms of customer service and quality of work. Have been told they are not a franchise and are a service arm of BMW direct but make sure its Stewards road you go to and not Nine Elms as I have been hearing a few bad stories about them.

I just wanna say I had my E90 320d for 3 years now and the only problem I had with the car was an air bag error light which got fixed under warranty. The car never let me down and is built very well, and mine is the first E90 model which is on a 05 plate. I took extended warranty when the initiall warranty ran out and touch wood my old girl has been running well.
      12-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #39
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for all the input guys, any more tips would be greatly appreciated.

Any of you guys based around the the east end of london, if so which dealers do you use?

Regarding the Battersea Stewards Road site, I take it that is a service only place (no sales etc)?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #40
Darren Edwards @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Edition Sport

Hi Guys

Long time no post: end of year = 2010 budgets and target planning = not much time to have fun :-(

Always here to help anyone wanting to book their car in for a service and happy to oversee the booking to ensure great service levels.

Cheers

Darren
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #41
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

If you are spending 30-35k then please consider an B7 RS4. Overall probbaly the most pleasing car ownership experience ive had so far. Also the best all rounder ive had. Not as fast as my M6 not as fuel efficient as my 335d, but for UK roads its sublime, ask Helen about the steering feel as well.

Fantastic build quality, fantastically flexible engine, great steering, superb traction, awesome sound. You wont loose a lot of money even if you have it 2 yrs. The B5 RS4s low mileage good ones are still 20k and these things are 9 yrs old!!!!!

Only real problems on these are DRC (suspension) this has been recognised by AUDI who have extended the warranty on these items to 5 years so no real worry there, and in reality these things in good health with fresh oil dyno at 395bhp and not 414bhp. However if you feel the power is lacking (i dont and i came from a 525bhp M6) then a remap and zorst gets a good 430bhp.

My car is an 07 with 20k on the clock and its completely rattle free.

If i could change one thing about my car? id buy the estate version
      12-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #42
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
ask them...what if i'm driving and i feel that the car is pulling to the left....will you blame it on the roads?...on my driving?....(bmw uk blamed the roads for the cracked alloys)
Loved that part
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #43
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
If you are spending 30-35k then please consider an B7 RS4. Overall probbaly the most pleasing car ownership experience ive had so far. Also the best all rounder ive had. Not as fast as my M6 not as fuel efficient as my 335d, but for UK roads its sublime, ask Helen about the steering feel as well.

Fantastic build quality, fantastically flexible engine, great steering, superb traction, awesome sound. You wont loose a lot of money even if you have it 2 yrs. The B5 RS4s low mileage good ones are still 20k and these things are 9 yrs old!!!!!

Only real problems on these are DRC (suspension) this has been recognised by AUDI who have extended the warranty on these items to 5 years so no real worry there, and in reality these things in good health with fresh oil dyno at 395bhp and not 414bhp. However if you feel the power is lacking (i dont and i came from a 525bhp M6) then a remap and zorst gets a good 430bhp.

My car is an 07 with 20k on the clock and its completely rattle free.

If i could change one thing about my car? id buy the estate version
Complimented by...

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #44
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKkBaSs View Post
Complimented by...