E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Unlock DVD to play while driving

03-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
335Transformer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Forecast: Sunny

Unlock DVD to play while driving

Anyone know how to unlock my DVD player in my new 2009 5 series so it plays while driving?
      03-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
E90Brian
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

As I have family and friends in Florida, I hope you never figure out how to play DVDs while driving!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
LZM Ray
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 50i MSport AlpineWhite

I use to be able to play dvds while driving, i usually just listen to it, i dont think its that much of a distraction, but who knows there are lots of people with disorders that may be affected somehow.
MY 09 335i XDrive coupe | Montego BLue | 6MT |
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
E90Brian
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTzRayRay View Post
I use to be able to play dvds while driving, i usually just listen to it, i dont think its that much of a distraction, but who knows there are lots of people with disorders that may be affected somehow.
"Disorders" or not, it's not a good idea (that's why the function is disabled). I'm sure any police force (at least in this country) wouldn't take kindly to someone who had a DVD playing in their vehicle within the driver's view. Just my thoughts...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!
Spain
Rep
Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Brian View Post
"Disorders" or not, it's not a good idea (that's why the function is disabled). I'm sure any police force (at least in this country) wouldn't take kindly to someone who had a DVD playing in their vehicle within the driver's view. Just my thoughts...
      03-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

try pulling the hand brake just one or two clicks. i know that it works for lexus.
give it a try i guess...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Transformer View Post
Anyone know how to unlock my DVD player in my new 2009 5 series so it plays while driving?
Nope. You know why the answer is no? It's because this is a 3-series board. You might get more traction in the 5-series board. Or are you that bored of talking about golf and metamucil?
      03-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Nope. You know why the answer is no? It's because this is a 3-series board. You might get more traction in the 5-series board. Or are you that bored of talking about golf and metamucil?
i guess then 7 series owners would get sick of talking about prune juice and bingo?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #9
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanJJ09 View Post
i guess then 7 series owners would get sick of talking about prune juice and bingo?
That, and cocaine smuggling.
      03-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine330 View Post
try pulling the hand brake just one or two clicks. i know that it works for lexus.
give it a try i guess...
Not a good idea. The gong would never STFU and you wouldn't be able to hear the DVD. I dont think this would work either way
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

I'm a 3-series owner with the new idrive that plays DVDs. While no one here would actually watch DVDs while driving, there are those of us who do enjoy taking long trips with their significant others who would appreciate being able to see movies while being on the road for hours.

What is interesting is that BMW allows you to view detailed traffic maps, read messages, do points-of-interest searches by entering in single characters, and fidgeting with MP3s and the radio all while going 80mph. But they blank out the screen because a moving picture is displayed. What's the difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
What is interesting is that BMW allows you to view detailed traffic maps, read messages, do points-of-interest searches by entering in single characters, and fidgeting with MP3s and the radio all while going 80mph. But they blank out the screen because a moving picture is displayed. What's the difference?
Are you serious?

The difference is between momentarily taking your attention away from the road to select a song, plot a map point, etc., and potentially taking your attention away from the road for much, much longer. There's an implicit assumption that you're not going to be staring intently at your iDrive screen while the song is playing or your map progress is scrolling by. There's also an implicit assumption that any DVD that's playing will grab a dangerous amount of mindshare while you're driving.

I do agree that it would be nice for a passenger to be able to watch a movie, but I totally see why BMW (or any other OEM) would disable this feature completely for the front seat. It's just too dangerous. The end.
      03-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #13
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

I had 14 TV's throughout an E46 showcar that i had and it was never an issue while driving if I had any or all are on in the car while driving... to each his own guys but christ the guy simply asked a question and here come the morality police!! I guess you guys don't listen to the radio in the car because you find it to be an overwhelming distraction?? I understand why the safety is built in because to some it might be a distraction but to others it's not... bottomline!!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you serious?

The difference is between momentarily taking your attention away from the road to select a song, plot a map point, etc., and potentially taking your attention away from the road for much, much longer. There's an implicit assumption that you're not going to be staring intently at your iDrive screen while the song is playing or your map progress is scrolling by. There's also an implicit assumption that any DVD that's playing will grab a dangerous amount of mindshare while you're driving.

I do agree that it would be nice for a passenger to be able to watch a movie, but I totally see why BMW (or any other OEM) would disable this feature completely for the front seat. It's just too dangerous. The end.
Yes I'm serious. Like I said, no one here would believe for a second that you would rather watch a movie than the road. And I would also add that LISTENING to a movie and glancing at the screen is no more dangerous than receiving a phone call on the bluetooth and glancing at the screen to see who it is. OR, dialing a number on the idrive, or entering in a complete address which takes seeing and divides your attention. I listen to NPR every day. They discuss thought provoking topics that takes some thought. Just as a conversation with someone in the car with you. So, your never giving the road your undivided attention.

My point is, why blank the screen for a movie while they display a screen that you have to actually read and interact with. Dunno about you, but I don't have to think much listening to a movie. It takes more brainpower to navigate through idrive menus and entering data.

At any rate, playing the DVD would be more for my passengers than me.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #15
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by damadama View Post
I don't see how having a DVD on in the car while you are driving is any more distracting than a girl giving you a blowjob while you are driving. Any of you guys going to bitch and moan about that?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #16
av8thor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

My point is, why blank the screen for a movie while they display a screen that you have to actually read and interact with. Dunno about you, but I don't have to think much listening to a movie. It takes more brainpower to navigate through idrive menus and entering data.

Because the human eye has evolved to identify and track motion. Evolution decided long ago that making the brain take instant notice of anything moving in the field of view was the best way to find food (smaller animals) while avoiding becoming a snack for another, larger animal.

DVD maps and I-Drive screens are largely static, and do not generate the kind of constant motion that always draw your eye to the TV showing the game in the sports bar, ticking off your S.O. because you are not paying enough attention to her.
P. J. O'Rourke)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #17
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8thor View Post
Because the human eye has evolved to identify and track motion. Evolution decided long ago that making the brain take instant notice of anything moving in the field of view was the best way to find food (smaller animals) while avoiding becoming a snack for another, larger animal.

DVD maps and I-Drive screens are largely static, and do not generate the kind of constant motion that always draw your eye to the TV showing the game in the sports bar, ticking off your S.O. because you are not paying enough attention to her.

I'm still not convinced that a movie on a display is anymore distracting than looking at maps, addresses, and traffic info. I mean if the movie is that serious, park it and watch it. Again, my point is that this is more for passenger entertainment than someone who is actively driving the car. My wife and I actually take a portable DVD player with us on long trips and there was no lack of attention to the road. Yet, there is a screen with a motion picture playing on it.

But of course, you have those who always do the unthinkable.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #18
CyberGypsy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

somehow I see a adult movie on the screen. LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #19
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGypsy View Post
somehow I see a adult movie on the screen. LOL
My friend has a Sirocco with an aftermarket DVD player. Guess what's always playing? Yup.
      03-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #20
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm still not convinced that a movie on a display is anymore distracting than looking at maps, addresses, and traffic info. I mean if the movie is that serious, park it and watch it. Again, my point is that this is more for passenger entertainment than someone who is actively driving the car. My wife and I actually take a portable DVD player with us on long trips and there was no lack of attention to the road. Yet, there is a screen with a motion picture playing on it.

But of course, you have those who always do the unthinkable.
Looks like you'll never be convinced, so moving on...
      03-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #21
edb5020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Quote:
That, and cocaine smuggling.
LMFAO!!!!!

2011 BMW 328i X-drive Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Oyster Leather/Light Burl Walnut Trim/Step/Premium Package/Sport Package/NAV/Harman Kardon Sound/Heated Steering Wheel/Xenon
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 10:52 PM   #22
Noxious335
07 335i Sedan Alpina White
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan Alpine White

What is this, the citizen's Police brigade? It's a simple question that got a lot of self righteous responses. I want to know if there's a way to disable this too. Passenger's would appreciate it for trips. It's a valid question. Does anyone know if there's a way to do it?