E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > TORONTO: Self Service Wand Wash

12-03-2006, 11:24 PM   #1
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Post TORONTO: Where to wash you car during winter

just thought i'd start a thread to list the self service wand washes located in the GTA in time to wash the salt and grime off your lovely bimmer...please list the intersection it is located at and the price per minute of the wash. give your own ratings (i.e.facility is clean, warm, indoor, soap's always out...etc you get the idea...). Sorry Mississauga folk, i can list em too, but I dont know any out that way

GTA North

ESSO: Yonge & Steeles

price is $0.75 /min.

you recieve a ticket that you drive in. this has the time of entry...

heated, well lit, and soap/cleaner is usually in working order. good pressure from the water gun. been a couple times where there has been no soap there are 8 wash bays..

they will let you dry your car too inside (after you pay) if its not too busy so great in the winter

Shell: Kennedy & 407 ETR

located north of 407 on Kennedy opposite of BMW dealership north of Mercedes dealer...

price was around $0.85 i believe. (cant remember exactly..if someone will let me know, i will edit my post).

they have many wash bays. approx 15 or more...indoor and heated. poorly lit. cant see the dirt on my car so i dont know if its clean or not. equipment was good.

rating: 7/10

Bayview Car Wash

located at Eglinton and Bayview, it is a full service soft cloth wash even though they dry your car and clean your interior.

Unknown name

located at markham rd & 16th avenue, located across from GO station on bur oak.

massive facility, many bays, never busy, lots of vacuum cleaners also.

don't remember what the exact price was..

Shell Station

located at bayview & major mac, northwest corner shell station.

basically the same as the valleymede location with slightly fewer washing bays, otherwise comparable!

GTA East

Coin OP Car Wash: Victoria Park & Ellesmere

this is located just south of Ellesmere on Vic Park (east side) just south of Parkway Mall.

price is $3.00 to start and each additional dollar before cutoff earns you another 2 mins. they have coin machine and is 24 hours i believe.

its newly built and the facility is CLEAN! but its cold. setup is kinda strange as they built it for parallel washing (one car in front of the other). this means the car infront/behind you may splash water on you when you're done....lots of kinds of soaps and conditioners tho. there are 3 double wash bays, and 3 singles. again, freezing when i went. dress warm.

winter rating: 6/10
summer rating: 8/10

Esso

located in Ajax at Harwood and Hwy2, touchless and trackless

Simoniz

located in Pickering at Brock and 401, touchless and trackless

Midland Indoor Coin Wash and Auto Detailing: Midland & Lawrence

located on Midland just North of Lawrence, heated, self-service, and full service.

price is $3.00 to start each additional dollar before cutoff earns you another 2 mins.

http://www.midlandcarwash.ca/

GTA South

Unknown Name

There's a heated garage at Queen and Eastern? somewhere near the Beach area. Coinop: $3 per cycle.

GTA West

Unknown name

located at Dundas & Landsdown, but it is expensive ($2/1 min), and the water is disgusting, plus it's always busy.

Unknown Name
There is one on Dundas heading north towards Keele too, it has a lot of bays and decent water, but it's busy as hell too.

Last edited by ctgazer; 03-02-2010 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: updating locations
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Esso: Steeles & Yonge

price is $0.75 /min.

you recieve a ticket that you drive in. this has the time of entry...

heated, well lit, and soap/cleaner is usually in working order. good pressure from the water gun. been a couple times where there has been no soap there are 8 wash bays..

they will let you dry your car too inside (after you pay) if its not too busy so great in the winter

8/10
      12-03-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Coin OP Car Wash: Victoria Park & Ellesmere

this is located just south of Ellesmere on Vic Park (east side) just south of Parkway Mall.

price is $3.00 to start and each additional dollar before cutoff earns you another 2 mins. they have coin machine and is 24 hours i believe.

its newly built and the facility is CLEAN! but its cold. setup is kinda strange as they built it for parallel washing (one car in front of the other). this means the car infront/behind you may splash water on you when you're done....lots of kinds of soaps and conditioners tho. there are 3 double wash bays, and 3 singles. again, freezing when i went. dress warm.

winter rating: 6/10
summer rating: 8/10
      12-03-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Shell: Kennedy & 407 ETR

located north of 407 on Kennedy opposite of BMW dealership north of Mercedes dealer...

price was around $0.85 i believe. (cant remember exactly..if someone will let me know, i will edit my post).

they have many wash bays. approx 15 or more...indoor and heated. poorly lit. cant see the dirt on my car so i dont know if its clean or not. equipment was good.

12-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #5
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
How much does it end up costing you to wash your own car usually?

1991 Suzuki Sidekick -> 1996 Nissan Altima -> 1997 Volvo S70 -> 2006 BMW 325i -> 2005 BMW 545i ->
2008 Mercedes ML550 -> 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 12:17 AM   #6
christyles
Need new project car.
Rep
Drives: E46 '00 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by findtom
when I do and I'm not anywhere near my garage... it costs between $6-$9.

But I always bring my own stuff and I don't use their bum brush...

Winter: Only high pressure washing - nothing touches the surface. Then hardcore detailing in spring.
      12-04-2006, 12:32 AM   #7
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyles
when I do and I'm not anywhere near my garage... it costs between $6-$9.

But I always bring my own stuff and I don't use their bum brush...

Winter: Only high pressure washing - nothing touches the surface. Then hardcore detailing in spring.
I don't know why these are so popular in Toronto... Montreal is all hand car washes while you wait (usually $15 in and out) and automatic washes at gas stations, I'm hard pressed to think of a single DIY car wash.

1991 Suzuki Sidekick -> 1996 Nissan Altima -> 1997 Volvo S70 -> 2006 BMW 325i -> 2005 BMW 545i ->
2008 Mercedes ML550 -> 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 07:38 AM   #8
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

There's one on Queen West near Dufferin; $2 for 3 min ($2 min); they use recycled water but it seems they all do.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
christyles
Need new project car.
Rep

Quote:
I don't know why these are so popular in Toronto... Montreal is all hand car washes while you wait (usually $15 in and out) and automatic washes at gas stations, I'm hard pressed to think of a single DIY car wash.
there's quite a bit of those here too, but no one touches my car but me.

If you're looking for the CoinOp washes, hop over to e46toronto.ca and PM Santiago, Glenspeed or Diesel Dud. They're all from MTL or frequent there often and I know there's a thread somehwere of coinops in MTL.

If I'm lazy to get out of the car to give it a good rinse, I'll go to a touchelss car wash... but I use the ones that don't have rails that you have to drive through to guide your car in. Most of those aren't wide enough and end up scuffing your rim.
      12-04-2006, 07:56 AM   #10
christyles
Need new project car.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
There's one on Queen West near Dufferin; $2 for 3 min ($2 min); they use recycled water but it seems they all do.
I think tha'ts standard and a requirement when setting up a wash business as is specific drainage. The drainage is not just standard sewer drainage.
      12-04-2006, 09:32 AM   #11
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
There are lots of auto washes here in the T-dot as well, not too many hand washes.
I stay away from them to preserve the paint finish as much as possible....
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #12
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

If you don't want a coin-op, use a drive-in, railless, touchless carwash. An example is on the west side of Woodbine just by Steeles (Esso station - there's an Esso on each side, only the west one has the wash). You can also skip the dryer if you want since the door opens when the drier comes on and you drive through it at whatever speed you want (driers leave water marks unless you intend to polish which is difficult if its zero or below). Just use the drier to blow off the excess water.

Avoid railed car-washes at all costs if you value your alloy rims. Ditto the soft cloth washes (swirls). Also, the hand-washes, although great service, often put too much water pressure under the car which can sometimes screw up the electrical systems (according to my dealer - who was referring to one local place in particular). If you're going to touch your car, then make sure it's heavily pre-rinsed to remove the salt, or you'll get swirls. In the winter, its best to just clean off the salt (see this great post by picus). Touchless washes do leave a layer of some form of film but in winter, that's OK as you'll pick up a lot more during the first few kms on the road home.....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #13
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyles
I think tha'ts standard and a requirement when setting up a wash business as is specific drainage. The drainage is not just standard sewer drainage.
Ya, there were two up near Allen that used to advertise "we use only fresh non-recycled water", but they "disappeared" after about 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #14
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
a good cleaning while not rushed is usually around $10-$12...i think the most expensive time was around $18 and i really took my time...
      12-04-2006, 06:23 PM   #15
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
I don't like the one at Yonge and Steeles. It seems that everytime I go there, no one is attending the car wash check-out, so I ended up waiting for like 5 minutes before they come to check me out (and of course they didn't reduce my time). The Kennedy and 407 Shell is ok, but their facility is old and some of the bays are not in good condition (weak nozzles, broken sprayers etc).

There's a coin-op wasy at the Shell on Hwy 7 and Valleymead (sp?) Road which I like, but there are a lot of people there during the day.

That said, the Yonge and Steele one is quite clean, so I go there now and then and hope they are either not full or there is someone in there at all time.

I used to visit the Bayview Car Wash at Eglinton and Bayview, but since I got this car, it is NOT going to a full service soft cloth wash even though they dry your car and clean your interior. I would avoid the one on York Mills and Leslie 9even though it's owned by the same people), since I didn't like the way they handle my previous car. The one on Laird near Eglinton Ave. is not very good either.

I like the Touchless Wash at the Esso on Lawrence Ave. and Leslie St., it seems to be ok. Tried the Esso on Leslie St near 401, which is not bad as well, though I had bad results with the touchless at the Shell on York Mills and Yonge St.

I believe there's a new Shell with touchless wash at Woodbine and Hwy 7, I might check it out when I need a wash.
      11-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #16
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
bumpy for new locations...ill add em as more are posted
      11-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #17
BMW Newbie
Who needs CR7
Canada
Rep
Drives: SG328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGxi View Post
I believe there's a new Shell with touchless wash at Woodbine and Hwy 7, I might check it out when I need a wash.

Kelvin, Dun waste ur time & $$$ there. It's a very crappy touchless car wash . Your car is require to be in slow forward motion once inside the facility. So it doesn't really wash your car b/c it's difficult to have your car in the right spot to get the max washing cycle. I even saw a lady drove right thru it with soap foam still on her car.
The best trackless & touchless car wash is Sunoco @ 14th & McCowan IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #18
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

The one I listed above (Queen W and Dufferin) is gone, got torn down to make condos. The other one around here is Dundas & Landsdown, but it is expensive ($2/1 min), and the water is disgusting, plus it's always busy. There is one on Dundas heading north towards Keele too, it has a lot of bays and decent water, but it's busy as hell too.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #19
miraclewhip
the poster formerly known as GTA-335xi
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow homie

1. markham rd & 16th avenue, located across from GO station on bur oak.

massive facility, many bays, never busy, lots of vacuum cleaners also.

don't remember what the exact price was..

2. bayview & major mac, northwest corner shell station.

basically the same as the valleymede location with slightly fewer washing bays, otherwise comparable!

Last edited by miraclewhip; 11-24-2008 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #20
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

For the folks in the east end.

Esso - Ajax Harwood and Hwy2, touchless and trackless
Simoniz - Pickering Brock and 401, touchless and trackless

Both locations you drive in, park and the machine moves around you.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #21
shimajer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

There's a heated garage at Queen and Eastern? somewhere near the Beach area. Coinop: $3 per cycle.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #22
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgazer View Post
a good cleaning while not rushed is usually around $10-$12...i think the most expensive time was around $18 and i really took my time...
I think I spent like $25 for mine...

Actually, this one time I was at the one of the self-serve ones in a North York Esso and I got a "special rate". For a flat fee I can stay as long as I like