E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Sorry computer error on below posts - need help with dealer service charges

03-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Nk235
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Sorry computer error on below posts - need help with dealer service charges

so I brought my 2007 335i coupe (33k miles) into bmw for service for:

Squeaky brakes
Long Starts/ cranks
loud ticking noise from engine (most likely injectors) at startup
Bluetooth being very staticky on iphone

Quick history - bought the car as a CPO 5 months ago with 28k miles and right off the bat had to bring it in for a HPFP replacement due to long starts - the same exact long starts I am experiencing now.

Just got off the phone with the service advisor and he is telling me they are updating the software and have to see if that fixes the long starts so no hpfp replacement even though I stated it is the same exact symptoms and I do not want to have to bring the car back 2 weeks later when this happens again - or have it die on the highway.

He said the ticking noise BMW says is normal and they will also fix the brakes.

What I am confused upon is he is saying that the tech working on my car made notes that there is excess carbon build up around the injectors and is recommending to flush them out for $199 and it also may be causing the ticking. He also said that my alignment is slightly off and it would also be $199 to fix. I understand the alignment not being covered but I told them I only put 93 octane in my car and follow the exact maintenance and care BMW recommends. I don't see how that if there is a problem with my injectors that they are trying to charge me $199 to fix when hear of so many people on here having them replaced...

So is this B.S. and an example of the dealer trying to get extra money out of me or is this something ligit? Also what should I do about the HPFP if it turns out they don't replace it? Just wait another week or two till it starts doing it agian or just beg that they replace it?

I just hate how I feel like I always bring my car to BMW - they always delay the inevitable by not fixing the cause of the problem but only apply a patch and then I wind up bringing the car right back in two weeks later for the same problem. I want to know if the cleaning of the injectors is real or if they just don't want to do the right thing and replace them and are trying to get me pay for a "patch" once again.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I've never heard of carbon on injectors, but I have heard about it on the valve stems and intake (It's the dirty little secret of DI engines). Chances are that you have it on the valve stems. I'd probably have the work done or consider doing it yourself.

The ticking was/is usually a 330/328/325 problem. I'd have to hear it, but for my 330 it was the result of too oil draining out of the lifters after the car had sat for a few hours/days. Upon start up the lifters would end up ticking. It's usually a 2-3 visit experience before BMWNA will authorize warranty replacement of the head.

Squeaking rear brakes is a known issues. IIRC there's a TIS on this.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Nk235
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

thanks for the info. What is an IIRC/TIS ? When I speak with them tomorrow I want to make sure they actually did something about the brakes so any info I have before hand would help the conversation.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Search the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) thread, and find something that sounds like the issue you have. There is a WEALTH of info in that compiled list. The ticking injectors is in there, and probably the brakes as well.

Whenever I bring a copy of the TSB to the dealer with me, things go a lot easier. . .
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Search the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) thread, and find something that sounds like the issue you have. There is a WEALTH of info in that compiled list. The ticking injectors is in there, and probably the brakes as well.

Whenever I bring a copy of the TSB to the dealer with me, things go a lot easier. . .
Appreciate 0